Thursday, December 22, 2016

A Holiday-Worthy Recipe

I took this photo yesterday from the opposite end of town.
As far as your eye can see down the road towards the mountains is where our house is.
I took these pictures while delivery Christmas cookies all over town Tuesday...




I've decided I'm going to walk down to this Catholic church and go inside one day soon. I want to see the inside of the sanctuary. This little church has been here since the beginning of this little town. You can see it in old photos. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Speaking of old places...the lady that used to live in my house still comes to town for the Homemakers Club meetings. I asked her if she had any old photos of our house she would share with me. I saw her Tuesday and she said she had them ready for me, but she's going to have to mail them because she forgot to bring them. I'm SO EXCITED to see them. I'm also going to the historical society to see what info or photos they may have.



After delivering cookies with the club ladies, we all went to eat lunch at a little restaurant here in town. I caught some movement in my peripheral vision out the window while sitting there. It was two deer just sauntering down the parking lot. I love that about this place. Very Northern Exposure-ish living here. (Someone mentioned that in a comment not long ago. I always think about that show since living here too.)

Okay, so about that Holiday-Worthy Recipe...
It really is!

CHEESY CHICKEN AND WILD RICE CASSEROLE

I made the two rices and combined them and baked and cut up the chicken breasts the day before.
I didn't want to be in the kitchen forever and this definitely made it quicker to put together today. So glad I did that.

All I had to do today was chop and saute the veggies...
  
Add the cooked chicken...

Add the rices...

Make the cheese sauce...

And mix it all together in a baking pan.

Mmm, cheese!

Almost ready for baking...

Oops, I forgot to add the cheese to the top.
(I will skip this step next time. The cheese sauce is plenty!)

Holy Holiday Yum!

Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely diced
  • 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
  • 3 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
  • 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken breast
  • 2 cups steamed white rice
  • 16 ounces cooked wild rice
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt

Cheese Sauce
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese to top over rice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Heat oil into a medium dutch oven or pot over medium heat.  Saute onion, celery and carrots until softened, about 10 minutes.  Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Stir in chicken, both cooked rices, salt, pepper, and garlic salt.  Reduce heat to low.
To prepare cheese sauce:  Melt butter into a medium saucepan over medium high heat.  Whisk in flour, salt and pepper then slowly pour in chicken broth whisking continuously.  Whisk until thick and nearly boiling then stir in 2 cups cheese until melted.  Pour cheese sauce into cooked rice mixture then transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish. Top with additional 1 cup cheddar cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted through.

I found this recipe on Pinterest, but I also found the exact same recipe on several different cooking sites. I'll give credit HERE just so you know it's not my creation and it's the right thing to do.

One last photo and I'm off for this time.
I was totally distracted and reading Instagram or something or other on my phone and when I looked down at my lap, this is what I saw. Can you tell what it is?
It looks like I'm giving birth to a chihuahua!
I guess he was comfortable.
Hahahaha!
See ya.

11 comments:

  1. HaHa! That last picture made me giggle. It seems you're still loving the snow my friend. I'm really glad. I was afraid you would hate it after the first year...a lot of people do. I've had icky winters my whole life and I crave warmth instead. I guess you always want different or something. :-). How neat that you get to see old pictures of your house. That would be so fun. That casserole looks delicious. I may have to try that one too.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brr! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pulled up your blog and started reading. As I'm reading and slowly scrolling, shazam there's Ollie's tiny patootie peeking out from under a blanket. I just about spit my coffee clear across the room. TOO CUTE! Love those little pups!!!. I'm anxious to see photos of your place as it was "back when".
    You all have a very Merry Christmas & Great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sthrngr8ce10:43 AM

    Thank you for the beautiful pictures. What a lovely place to live and to spend Christmas has to be wonderful. I'm from Fairmont NC and we don't see much snow if any during the year so your pictures put a smile on my face. I hope you have the best Christmas ever! Oh and my 2 chihuahuas like to snuggle under a blanket with me also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scenery is beautiful, and your casserole looks delicious! Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah.h.h.h.h. you live in such a picture perfect little town.... a kind of place I always wanted to live. The closest thing was in Waitsburg, WA, a darling little "one main street" town like yours... but it didn't have all of the beautiful mountains surrounding it. Your scenery there always takes my breath away! Waitsburg was surrounded by acres and acres of wheat fields, but did get lots of snow in the winter. The little church in your town reminds me of the ones in Waitsburg. One Christmas, when there was snow, three of the churches got together and joined their Christmas eve services, so you would walk to one, have a small service and sing a few songs.... then carry a candle and walk to the next church a few blocks away... have another service (but different).... and then light your candle again and walk to the third church for singing. it's something I'll always remember.. and that's why I love small towns. Have a wonderful weekend.. oh and that dish looks yummy.. and am anxious to see the old pictures of your house! Merry Christmas! Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pictures are just beautiful. It seems like you were just moving to that nice little town, not knowing a soul, and now you're in a club delivering cookies! I bet that church is decorated real pretty inside for Christmas. Have a wonderful holiday Pammy Sue. Enjoy your cozy house and little furry babies. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful scenery Pammy Sue and how lovey of you to go delivering cookies, I bet you can't believe how much your life has changed since moving there it must be lovely to be so involved in community life it rarely happens here. Have a wonderful Christmas. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so enjoy looking at your pictures and reading your posts. I have been sick most of this month and not doing much so your blog brightens my day. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well first of all... you know I love the chihuahua!
    And what a beautiful Winter Wonderland you live in now! ❄️❄️❄️
    Love those deer just taking a stroll along the parking lot.
    I'm excited to see pictures of your house when you get them. Also I'm anxious to hear about your peek into that lovely old church.
    I think I'll try that recipe out on Scott. Looks right up his alley.
    Merry Christmas My Friend!!! 🎄🎄🎄😀

    ReplyDelete
  11. A.h.h.h.h.h. I notice you changed your blog header! I love it..... what a beautiful valley and mountains, and river, and town, and barn! (and snow of course)......... I can't seem to pull any sort of blog post out of me.... blah.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥