Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Last Two Weeks of August





We've had a few fires this summer, but nothing like last year, thank goodness.
This one was a little too close for comfort, but it's under control and in the clean-up stage now.
 




My Favorite Cole Slaw

Place the following ingredients in a bowl:
1/2 Head of Chopped Cabbage (pre-pkgd is fine)
1 Large Peeled Apple Chopped in Small Pieces
1/2 Cup or More of Craisins

Mix these dressing ingredients in a small bowl:
2 Tbsp Sour Cream
1 1/2 Tbsp Mayo
1/4 tsp celery seed
1/4 cup sugar (or equivalent of Splenda)
Pinch of salt
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar

Combine dressing ingredients and cabbage mixture and chill.

Fresh Cabbage Pico de Gallo

I made this by combining fresh cabbage, jalapenos, green onion, cilantro, and salt in a food processor until chopped well. Add juice of 1/2 lime and chopped tomatoes. Serve with tortilla chips. This is the way they make pico de gallo everywhere here. We'd never heard of pico made with cabbage before, but I thought I'd make it since we had most of the ingredients fresh in our garden. We still prefer the tomato-based kind.

 Now don't you be jealous of my tan and fashion sense.
I love my Buddha being out on the porch now!
I velcroed him down to that stool so he wouldn't get knocked off.
I'd be upset if anything happened to him.
He's one of my favorite things.

I've had this doily on this table for a while now. It bugged me really bad because it wasn't round like the table, but I didn't have another one made in that color and that's what looked best here. So I made a round one to replace it with...



It looks so much better now.

Pattern:  "Anastasia" from A Dozen Doilies (book cover pictured below)
Size:  15 1/2"
Thread:  Cebelia #10 in #427
Hook:  Size 1.75 mm


My new favorite tea.
I have at least one cup every evening with a dash of creamer and 1/2 packet of Splenda.

About that diet...I've lost 7 lbs as of today. I've added a snack in the evenings, usually an apple with peanut butter or some cottage cheese.

This lone little leaf was on the steps to the porch this morning when I went out there to have my coffee. A message from the universe that autumn is just around the corner. It came from our neighbor's poplar tree. Such a vibrant yellow!

Goodbye, August.
Hello, September!

See ya.

18 comments:

  1. Have you put a coin under your Buddha? helps with luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your perfect 'end of summer' pictures. I'm ready for Fall, but then, I'm always ready for Fall...it's my favorite! Your coleslaw is almost identical to my recipe! I've never tried licorice tea, but I've got a horrid cold and it sounds so good. Too bad town is about 40 minutes away, lol! Lovely post & pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm glad the fires weren't as bad as last year too, but it looks as though we both had fires that were a little too close to home this year. :-). I heard on the news that yours is under control. It sounds like most of them are, thank goodness. I also think you're right and the round doily looks better on your table. I think it's gorgeous but that oval one is very pretty too. I can't remember what diet you're doing. I guess I'll have to go back and reread posts. I have SO much weight to lose. This last year of being unusually sedentary for me has taken it's toll and it's not good. I have GOT to get healthy again so I can walk and do more. Have a wonderful weekend Pammy Sue.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of your coleslaw and must make it soon - summer just around the corner here :) I don't believe I've seen craisins in the shops here - would raisins be ok do you think? Totally agree with you about the round doily - so much nicer. That would bother me too. Good idea to velcro Buddha down. We used to have a beautiful Gargoyle sitting on the corner of our front courtyard wall and he got stolen. Still haven't been able to find a replacement. Have a good weekend. xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. The round doily looks very nice under the lamp. The velcroed Buddha booty is a great idea but it made me giggle. I can be rather childish. Still it's better than a super glued Buddha belly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get so much enjoyment from your posts. I would love to live in a town like yours. Thank you, CH So CAl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the doily Pammy Sue, your diet is working great! I'm so glad you can have a snack in the evenings it was a long time to go without food. Lovely pictures, I don't want Autumn even if it is pretty I need to be warm for just a bit longer. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, beautiful scenery, a lovely doily, and the slaw looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bring on the fall leaves! It's still 90 degrees here-yuck. Your doilies as usual, are so pretty, the cole slaw looks delicious, and I always enjoy the pictures of your beautiful mountains and river.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it nice if something bugs you that you can change it :) at least with doilies, I like them both actually :) and will have to try the coleslaw now :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I "starred" your post in my email so I could go answer it.. and then I forgot! I get so distracted so easily! Darn. Anyway..... love this post and the beautiful pictures. I'm so glad the fires weren't as bad this year as last year. I was just praying about that the other night.. that the horrible fires in Washington state would not repeat themselves. It's been a hot dry summer here, but not as bad as last year I don't think. And love your round doily... it looks great on that table... you amaze me how fast you make those. I'm still "dreaming/planning" on my first one.. I think I have that exact same book as you do!

    The cabbage pico de gallo looks awesome.. I'm going to have to try it as I love cabbage.. and your Buddha... love him! and nice that he can keep you company out on that nice porch... how is your diet coming along? I don't think I could EVER not eat after 3:00! I'm a "night snacker" but have been eating smaller dinners.. usually no starch.. just meat/chicken and a veggie.. our garden is overwhelmed with tomatoes now so we eat alot every day - supposed to be healthy right? Glad you are having a snack at night... I think a veggie with a little salsa or humus (or peanut butter??? hee hee) would be OK.

    So nice to have this visit.. I'm off to plant some more flowers.. funny to be planting in September, but we have some bare spots were things were blooming and now died.. so I need more color for another month or so!
    Hugs.. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pammy Sue, it's good to hear from you and know that you are doing well. Thanks for sharing the cabbage recipes. I make a broccoli slaw with a similar dressing that I found online when I was doing Weight Watchers. It's supposed to be a low-carb version and it uses yogurt. I like sour cream better but I've been making it this way so long that I just do it anyway, lol. Kind of silly. Good job with your weight loss! That's great news. Your doily is beautiful and I really love the hobnail lamp. I hope you're having a good holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the coleslaw looks so enticing! And yes... Thank goodness you didn't have to experience a serious fire situation ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. The "cabbage pico de gallo" looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The food looks so nice ♥ hugs

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice post Pammy Sue! Interesting food and beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you are doing well. Enjoy your pictures and recipe ideas very much.
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  18. So happy to see you are still enjoying my cole slaw recipe!! It has been far too long since I have seen your blog, so much to catch up on. Where you live is absolutely beautiful - hubby and I want to find a gorgeous place like that to retire to in a few years ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥