Sunday, April 17, 2016

The Yummiest Cake and Frosting and Other Things



I'm a-tellin' you what...this cake is SO GOOD!
And so easy too.

I started by making a boxed White Cake Mix.

I used the instructions on the back that calls for 3 whole eggs instead of just egg whites. I debated making a layer cake or a 9" x 13". I wanted to keep it simple, so I chose a 9 x 13 pan, but it would work with a layer cake too.

The praline icing is what did it for me. It's FANTASTIC! You could put this icing on a dog turd and it would be good. (Disclaimer: Not really on the dog turd thing. If you make it that way, don't come cryin to me when it doesn't taste right!)

Praline Icing

1 stick (1/2 cup) of butter
1 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup milk (can use cream, whole, light, or skim -- it doesn't matter)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 box (16 oz) powdered sugar
Finely-chopped pecans (I used about 1/2 cup)

Make the cake and let it cool completely on a rack (about an hour).
Place the powdered sugar in a mixing bowl and set aside.
Melt the butter in a pan on medium-low heat, then add the brown sugar and milk and let it come to a boil, stirring constantly. When it comes to a boil, remove from heat and add the vanilla. Add the hot mixture to your powdered sugar and mix with your electric mixer until well-combined and smooth. Add a Tbsp of milk if mixture is too thick.
Working quickly so the icing doesn't harden, ice your cake. Sprinkle with pecans. Let cool at room temperature before serving.  Store covered at room temperature.

Original recipe for the icing found HERE.  

*****************************

This is a Frozen Mountain Dew Baja Blast from Taco Bell.
Very refreshing and not too sweet at all.
Loved it!

*****************************

We stopped in here to see if they could test some soil from our garden area.

The soil around here was toxic years ago after some Canadian company dumped a bunch of crap in the Columbia River. They were heavily fined and were heavily fine again recently for the same thing. Bastards! Why would anyone dump toxic waste into the Columbia River? Why? WHY? The soil was contaminated for a long while, but was given the all-clear not too long away. So we figured better safe than sorry even though we're pretty sure the soil in the existing garden space was hauled in from somewhere else or bought in bags. Anyway, the USDA referred us to the feed store. You take your soil samples there, and they send it off for testing.

***************************

Isn't this a pretty blanket?

The pattern is in this book.

I started another afghan yesterday in the same ripple pattern I just used. I'm about 10 rows in. Not sure if I'm loving the colors I chose yet. I'll give you a sneak-peek when I get a little further in.

******************************

We're having a heck of a time trying to get someone here to build our deck. The guy I was originally talking to keeps cancelling and delaying his appointments with me, and now he's ignoring my phone calls. Who does that? You'd think people around here that provide services like that would be scrambling to get work. It's just like the guy who eventually built our fence. Delay, cancel, delay, call and make up lies, delay some more, lie some more, don't return phone calls. ARGH! It's maddening. I don't know if we'll ever get our covered deck at this rate. There just aren't that many providers to choose from around here in the boonies. If there were, I'd tell that guy to kiss my big-fat white ass. But I guess I have to be nice. I hate it when that happens. LOL.

*****************************
Selfies with Sammi...

LOL

Aww

I was watching TV from my bed, no make-up, in my jammies, and trying to get a cute picture with her. We had a hard time, as you can see. The lights behind me were too bright.


Okay, that's all.

Oh, wait...THANK YOU for all of your messages! I've missed all of you. I just need to toughen up and ignore the jealous, rude, crazy nut-jobs that say terrible things and write mean blog posts about me (and even link to me when they do it). BITCH. Hurt my feelings...never again! Eat shit and die. (But don't eat shit with that praline frosting on it because it might be good!)

See ya!

Love,
Pammy Sue


35 comments:

  1. So missed you! Glad you are back sweet friend. :) Loved seeing all the crochet stuff....the cake yum!...and your sweet little Sammi girl, so adorable as always. You just keep being you and forget about the haters! Wishing you a lovely day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't you delete the meanies? Some people just ruin it, don
    t they.

    That doily bedspread is to DIE FOR ! ! ! ! ! ! ! And so is Sammi :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks yummy, the bedspread is beautiful, and I love Sammy and your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:15 PM

    hi pammy sue...missed being able to "positively" comment - so glad you have enabled this section...the granny ripple blanket and colors is gorgeous...have fingers crossed that the soil test returns okay...hugs and blessing to all...take care...sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the frosting and will give this a try! It is strange that people don't need the work or just need to be truthful like "I started another job and it is taking way longer than expected you are on the list. I say this cause husband used to make walk ways and weather and supplies played a big roll in the when you can start. Also some people liked the job you were doing and wanted more stuff done and you have others waiting in line :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I love your crochet and recipes and especially the pups! Your feed says I am in Plano but I am actually in North Fort Worth.
    I'm enjoying the rain today since there is no flooding where I live. Watching the Midwives tonight. Have a good week!
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're as funny as ever. Made me laugh out loud. Ignore the trolls. They have nothing else to do with their sad lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you get a deck builder from across the border?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe you and Cap need to build the deck! We had ours built though.. it's a lot of work. Wish those guys would get on the stick for you. I loved that blanket.. I could see you making one! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:40 PM

    Your Vintage Crocheted afghan is beautiful. Could you please tell me how many skeins of each color you used? I'd like to make this afghan, but just don't know how much yarn to get. Thank you so much !! ~~~ Debbie Z.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debbie Z...less than one skein of the Bernat Super Value in each color. I had plenty of leftovers of all of it. Each skein is 426 yards. I'd estimate I used a little over half of each one. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:30 AM

      Thank you !!! ~~~ Debbie

      Delete
  12. OOOOh that cake looks so yummy! And the bedspread blanket is beautiful. I started a blanket like yours with some scraps to figure out the pattern before I bought yarn and it didn't look right at all. I'll have to try again. Sorry about the deck builders. I wonder what's happening with that? It's not like jobs are plentiful around here is it? I hope they get on the stick very soon and get it done so you can enjoy it this summer. Did the trees get cut down yet?
    We had a great time in Portland this weekend and just got home about an hour ago.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha ha ha .. Sammi and the selfies are very cute. Just when I'm trying to loose some weight, you show the recipe for that amazing cake frosting. It sounds delicious and of course its going on to my list. I love mandalas and once made one in outrageously bright colours. Now that I have my craft room in order, I might work out a way of hanging it on the wall. So glad to be able to keep in touch here again. xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't ever let the meanies keep you away from the people that care about you, then they win. I could make that blanket right now, it is a masterpiece.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back! Even though I've kept up with your blog, I missed "talking" with you! Forget those dumbasses! I have haters too but but I tell them where they can go and what they can do to themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to see you are back in the groove. Do I know this person. Hope you can find someone to get your deck built this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to see you are back in the groove. Do I know this person. Hope you can find someone to get your deck built this summer. That blanket looks scary, but cool.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh that cake looks so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The cake sounds yummy, I'm trying to be good but I guess it's never going to happen I like cake too much, love the bedspread, I have a vintage pattern somewhere with something similar to that design in fine cotton, I even started making it must be 30 years or so ago I must look it out. Fingers crossed your soil is ok and your workman comes back to finish what he started how annoying!. Have a great week. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. That cake looks SOOOOOOOO good! Only I would have to leave off the nuts - darned allergies! And that Sammi is such a cutie!

    I love that blanket! Will have to check out the book! Good luck with the deck project!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Pammy Sue! That cake looks delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe. I wish you all the best with the deck, it sounds a little stressful. I hope it all works out okay. I love Sammi, what a sweetheart. I hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am happy that you opened your comments section up again. The area where you live is beautiful. Every time you wrote of going fishing, you made me wish I "was gone fishin'". I have been enjoying the cute pics of your pups. Sammi is really striking a fine pose in the final picture on today's post. The mandala crochet quilt is gorgeous! I'm trying to stay away from cake right now, but am now seriously thinking of getting into the little package of pecans I have and snacking them all down. The praline frosting sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The cake looks delicious! I bought the mandala book. I'm trying to finish a granny square blanket before I start a mandala. I better get busy making grannies. My resolve to not make a mandala won't last forever.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous10:41 AM

    Welcome back Pammy Sue!!! I love your new afghan.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Girlfriend, I am so glad you enabled comments again...cuz I have things to say! That cake looks and sounds amazing! Making me drool.
    What a bummer about the guy who keep putting you off with the deck! Come on people...work ethic!!! Where is it?
    Cute pics of you and Sammi.
    I am SO glad you are crocheting again. Just think, soon you will be able to sit out on your deck and do that in the summer evenings!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous7:06 PM

    Hi Pammy Sue! I don't have a blog of my own, but I love reading yours! That cake looks sooooo good! Hope you get your deck in time for summer. Don't know why some people have to be mean. Life is too short to waste it being nasty. I think your right, it's jealousy! Take care, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  27. That bed spread is gorgeous! Oh to make one.. how fun that would be... but have to finished what I started, you see? that's my rhyme for the day..... that cake is looking out of this world to me and calling my name very loudly.. does it help that I also love pecan praline ice cream????? even a gluten free white cake would be delicious with that frosting on it.. I use the leftover frosting (if there IS any) to put on my gluten free graham crackers and that is a heavenly way to eat up frosting! Wouldn't want it to go to waste. Do so love that your comments are open again.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Pickles2:08 AM

    Hi! I've been a reader of your blog for a while and very much enjoy your "down-homey" blog. It's relaxing... Cake looks delish, the crochet afghan is drop-dead gorgeous and your puppies are daaarrrling - thank you for sharing and don't you ever go away. :)
    from Pickles

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so happy to see comments again! Want to say I love your blog, simple days, crafting, cooking and gorgeous scenery just make me happy!@ Thanks for the enjoyment!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That's better!! It is so nice to be able to comment on your blog again Pammy Sue although I respect your reasons ( whatever they were) for deactivating comments.

    That cake looks just too good and I really musn't even look at it. Well....just a peek...it looks so scrumptious.

    Sounds to me as if those service people do not need your money... I wonder if they are Spanish because your description of their attitude does sound very similar to the electricians,decorators and AC maintenance people here! Very very annoying!!!


    By the way I've been getting some nutty people posting on my blog recently....just doesn't seem to make sense what they say. I even thought they might be sending an encoded message to someone ....hubby thinks I've been watching too many spy films! All the same I dive into my blog as quick as I can to delete them when I see them!

    keep well

    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am so glad you opened comments again. I'm usually just a lurker but I love your blog, and ever since you blocked comments I've wanted to comment instead of just lurking! You are so down to earth & real, plus a real smart ass which I like in a person. LOL Sorry about the haters. As they say, haters gonna hate. I don't blame you wanting to get away from negative and just plain mean posts, but leave 'em in and "us" your loyal fans will tear them a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  32. While I haven't had any mean comments...yet...I started getting some weird spam comments that made little sense which is why I opted to approve all comments before publishing them, but I am sorry you got mean comments that hurt your feelings, Pammy Sue.

    The gorgeous bedspread I can see you making with your great crocheting skill! xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm sorry to hear you've been having contractor headaches! We keep running into the same thing here on the East Coast and it's SO.ANNOYING..

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ok, so I'm an idiot. Sammie, Fletch and Janie. DUH!! LOL. I've been away too long. And SCREW those that say those bad things about you. Know what?? Jealous bitch is what they are. F 'em. Know what I mean jelly bean?? lol. Love you. Thanks for the cake recipe. I've been trying to be good but guess what? Fixin' to be bad.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥