Friday, December 11, 2015

A Rough 24 Hrs and Boston Cream Pie



I feel like pounded dog poo after the last 24 hours. About this time yesterday, Fletch started puking his guts out. I mean great gobs of undigested food he had eaten five hours before, and then huge piles of some kind of gelatinous bile. After the puking episodes (and the cleaning up of said puke), he laid down and slept for an hour or so. Then he was up again wanting outside where he'd eat grass and then come inside and puke it up with more wads of thick goo. That went on for between one and two hours, then he settled in again and slept on a bed of blankets I had made for him that had a warm heating pad underneath. We all turned in for a good night's sleep...

Until about 1:00 a.m. when I woke up and noticed a motion light was on in the bathroom. I thought that was strange. I laid there and watched it go off and then on again. That's when I knew one of the dogs had to be up wandering the house. It was Fletch. He was sick again. Puking, wanting out, and then just standing there in the backyard trembling and acting weirdly.

He was panting and pacing and trembling and curling up into a ball like his stomach was really hurting him. It was awful to watch. We were both sure this was it and he was dying of some kind of intestinal blockage. Maybe he ate one of the Christmas decorations we had gotten out over the last couple of days? We had no way of knowing, we just knew it was bad.

We tried to comfort him over the next four hours. It was awful watching him suffer like that. I bawled and held him and rubbed his stomach. I washed his face with a warm washcloth. I did everything I could think of to help him get comfortable. I cried some more. Finally, at around 4:30 he went to sleep and slept until 8:30.

He seemed to be better. He wasn't acting like he was in pain anymore or throwing up, but he hadn't eaten since the day before around 1:30 either. I was afraid if we didn't have him looked at, he'd get sick all over again when he ate, and the vet would be closed for the weekend. There was no way I could watch him suffer like that again, and especially not all weekend. We called the closest vet who is located in Colville. They said to bring him in and drop him off and they'd work him in when they could and give us a call. So that's what we did.

We dropped him off, went to Walmart, ate at Subway, drank coffee, and sat in the parking lot doing crosswords and napping while we waited for them to call. It's too far to drive home and then have to turn around again and drive back.  

Here he is on the way to the vet.

The vet finally called about two and a half hours after we dropped him off. Nothing showed up on the x-rays that looked like a blockage, thank goodness, but he did have a fever. After a battery of tests and questions, the vet finally determined that he was probably sick from eating turkey poop! That's right, turkey poop! Those damn turkeys! They don't come into the fenced back yard very often, but we had noticed one inside the fence two or three days prior. Apparently turkey poop can make a dog very sick. Who knew? I guess they see it frequently there at the vet with the number of wild turkeys running around here.

They're sending his x-rays off for a radiologist to review and make an official determination that there's nothing in his intestines causing a problem. They'll call us and let us know what he says. In the meantime, he only gets 1/3 cup of rice mixed with cottage cheese 3 times a day for the next two days. He got two injections -- one to settle his tummy and one antibiotic -- and we start him on an oral antibiotic in the morning.

We bought him a toy for being such a good boy at the doctor.
WHAT? Our dogs aren't spoiled at all!
I gave him his rice and cottage cheese, and so far he's holding it down.
He's still very lethargic and doing nothing but sleeping.

Can you tell how boring my life is that I can make a long post like this about my sick dog? Anyway...much ado about nothing. He's only sick from turkey poop. All that angst and crying and being a drama queen for nothing. Me, not Fletch. He's fine. (Although Ken didn't get outwardly upset and cry like I did, he thought it was the end for Fletch last night too. It wasn't just me being dramatic! Neither of us have ever seen a dog in such distress, and we've had a LOT of dogs.) We should all sleep well tonight.

**************

Before it went to hell yesterday, I made some goodies...

Melted white Almond Bark with crushed red and green mint candy canes. 

Some mixed into the chocolate and some scattered across the top.


It's so easy and good...and it makes a pretty gift too.
That's what I'm doing with most of this.

And theeeeen....



I made two Boston Cream Pies!
Oh my goodness, so yummy.

It's an easy-peasy recipe I got out of Mama Dip's recipe book and altered slightly.

Easy Boston Cream Pie
(Makes 2 cakes)

Cakes:
1 white cake mix

Vanilla Cream Filling:
2 boxes of Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix (3.4 oz each)
3 1/2 cups milk

Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3 Tbsp butter, melted
2-3 Tbsp milk

Make cake according to directions on box (using whole eggs, not just egg whites). Bake in two 8" round cake pans. Cool completely.

While the cake is baking, mix both boxes of pudding mix with 3 1/2 cups of milk. Stir with a whisk for 2 minutes then refrigerate until the cakes are completely cool.

Once cakes are cool, split each round lengthwise in half. Spread 1/2 of pudding mixture on one cake half and top with the other cake half. Repeat for second cake.

Mix glaze ingredients and heat in the microwave approximately one minute until it's of pouring consistency. Pour half of the glaze over each cake. Refrigerate immediately until serving. Keep covered and refrigerated.

Turkey Poop-Eating Boy

Night-night, Fetchie.
I'm so glad you're home and doing okay.

See ya.

18 comments:

  1. Poor Fletch. I hope that he is much better soon. Such a scare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little guy... Glad hes ok... And poor you having to do all that... Hope you all sleep well... Happy weekend with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor fletch! He has to learn to live with all of these wild animals around here....turkeys included! I'm sorry you had to go through that. Our animals are our babies and it scary when they're sick. Sort of like a human baby, they can't tell you where they hurt and you always imagine the worst. That Boston cream pie looks so yummy. Hope your weekend improves after all of that.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Boston Cream Pie, yummy.

    So sad about Fletch, hopefully he will be well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that Fletch doesn't have a catastrophic illness and that he will be fine. Our little guys are so like children, aren't they?
    Dorothy M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turkey poop. Damn birds. So sorry to hear this, but glad on mends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Dear, My heart cried for you, Ken and of course for Fletch. So glad all three of you are doing better. It is so horrible when our fur-babies aren't doing well. My fur-baby, Lily is sleeping right now on the back of the sofa. They give to us so very much love and it is a love like none other. Unfortunately, Lily is in her last days with me. She has given me 10 wonderful years of her never ending love. Congestive Heart Disease for past 1-1/2 years.

    Your prepared sweets look outstanding. Wow, such beautiful Boston Cream Pie.
    Best wishes for good health for you and your fur-babies. And, shoo - shoo all of you turkeys! Country living is a little different - Huh? But, Grand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very happy to hear Fletch is feeling better. We had something similar with our pup and mushrooms. They were mushrooms in our yard after a lot of rain! It is stressful when our fur babies are sick. At least you have some comfort food to help you cope : ) The treats look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor, poor Fetchie and poor poor you! I had no idea that Turkey poop could cause such problems. We have wild turkeys in our yard now and again, I will keep an eye on Max. I know Deer poop can have parasites, what is with all the poop issues?
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy he is doing okay and it was just poop making him sick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damn turkeys! They're better roasted then pooping all over your yard. And I say that even though I'm a vegetarian. I love dogs far more than any old dirty turkey.

    I'm happy Fetch is on the mend. Pup-dogs are precious and like you I've had my share of them to grace my life.

    That Boston Creme pie looks so very yummy ~ thanks for the recipe. I love that it's an easy recipe to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bet you made that Boston pie just for Fletch - well it is named after him isn't it ?? Poor baby - I hope he's much better by now. I'd forgotten about that yummy Christmas treat with the crushed candy canes. Now I'm going to have to get some white chocky and some canes tomorrow. xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor Fletch! I am so glad he is OK! Is it sort of like a bacterial infection from the turkeys? -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, poor you and poor Fletch. I am so glad that he is OK, it is so scary when a pet is sick isn't it, especially because they cannot tell you what is hurting them. I hope that all is now resolved and will be OK and that there will not be any more naughty turkeys causing problems! Great looking almond bark! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:04 AM

    hi pammy sue...hope fletch continues to improve...he sure is a snuggly little guy...thank you for all the
    goodie recipes...the boston cream pie is a family favorite...will definitely be baking that..take care...sally

    ReplyDelete
  16. How frightening and painful for Fletch! So very glad he is doing better. I can't imagine how hard it was for you to go through those long hours watching helpless in the night. I love Boston Terriers and have my own 9 yr old boy (plus 3 other sweet mutts).

    Hope ya'll have a good week ahead.

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw Fletchie, I was so worried about you too! I'm so glad he is okay Pammy Sue.
    Sweet pics of the others too!! Love the shots of the mountains and river!!! Gorgeous!
    That pie looked amazing! I love to make almond bark too. Makes great little gifts!
    Love ya
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad it wasn't worse for Fletch. That almond bark looks wonderful! So does the pie!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥