Sunday, November 15, 2015

Where Dragons Live and Red Chicken Enchiladas


I woke up thinking about Red Chicken Enchiladas this morning, but I needed a couple of things from the grocery store so we took a walk into town to get them. It's about 45 degrees and very damp today. It's going to rain all afternoon and evening again. Love it. 


Ken says dragons live up there.

We saw two eagles fly overhead screaming at each other. I couldn't get my camera out of my pocket in time, darn it. They disappeared into the trees up there. 

We like to stop and look at the bulletin board outside the community center when we walk or ride our bikes into town.

I commented on the price for the "Red Fur." I said that wasn't bad for a fur coat, but who would wear a red one? Ken just looked at me and blinked. "It's for Red Fir wood, not a fur coat!" Oh. LOL. Can you tell I'm from Dallas?

Oh my. Somebody's depressed.
Or they smoked too much pot last night. Hahaha.
If you can't read it, it says, "Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise."

We saw these guys dressing their bucks they got this morning.
Kinda sad, but I guess it's how you look at it. They were very pleased.


Look at all the turkeys!
Click on the picture for a better view.
There were even more than this. This is just all that fit in the shot.

******************

Okay, so about those enchiladas...

I got everything I needed and put them together.
I froze one of these and baked the other two.
We'll have leftovers this week.

I like to use this recipe for chicken enchiladas instead of the one with chicken soup and sour cream that makes a creamy sauce. These have great flavor and are different. I also like this recipe because you use canned chicken meat. Easy.  

Red Chicken Enchiladas

Filling:
1 large can of white chicken breast meat (12.5 oz), drained
4-oz can of chopped green chilies
1 packet dry onion soup mix
1 cup sour cream
2 cups cottage cheese
1 1/2 cups Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded

Other:
10-12 flour tortillas
20-oz can of red enchilada sauce (I like Rosarita brand; don't buy Las Palmas brand! It's awful.)
1 cup shredded Cheddar (for topping)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon a small amount of enchilada sauce into the bottom of the dish and set aside. Mix filling ingredients in a large bowl. Spoon onto tortillas, add some Jack cheese, roll up and place in your sprayed casserole dish. Top with enchilada sauce and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes until hot and bubbly. Serve with additional sour cream and salsa for topping.

16 comments:

  1. Enchiladas sound good and easier than boiling a chicken and having to shred it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your blog and the variety of your topics. So glad that you are adjusting and enjoying your new home and location. Perhaps, the posting regarding ? depression is someone reflecting on the horrendous events that just took place in Paris. May the Greater World find strength, unity and peace. Optimism is very important. Oh, I'll be over for dinner. Looks fabulous and I like the recipe. I recently started using canned chicken and have been surprised with how acceptable (for some recipes) and handy, too. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make enchiladas pretty much the same except that I use cream cheese instead of cottage cheese. Instead of canned chicken I throw a few frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts in the crock pot with a little water and cook 4-5 hours. Then I let them cool and shred. I believe Ken is right...it looks like a magical place for dragons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed out loud at the red fur. They even spelled it wrong...no wonder you were confused. It should have been red fir. We had a guy dressing his buck down the street this afternoon. Tis the season! Love your pictures and I'm so happy you're enjoying our corner of the world.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its been a while but here I am reading your post and enjoying your experiences in your new abode... (lol new home).. Bring on the Dragons and Eagles... :)) Mountains are so mysterious.. so many places to explore.. When the fog comes down I think of Jurassic Park.lol.. Have a great day :)) hugs pat ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh a lot of turkeys indeed, they obviously aren't worried about thanksgiving and Christmas coming up! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought the same thing about the Red fur, too funny. I always love your pictures of the beautiful place you live and your excursions around the town.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to try that recipe. Love the turkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those first few shots look so eerie - bleak and cold. Probably going to be a long cold winter for you. Love the idea of the community centre - too bad places like that aren't around in the cities or suburbs. Had to laugh about the red fur but was very sad to see what those fellows were doing with those bucks. xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rain is a beautiful thing.

    It is sad when animals are killed. I'm a vegetarian and I completely understand the need feed your family. BUT, if people don't eat all that they kill then it's wrong. (sorry, I step down from my soapbox now)

    I just about fell off my chair when you said "red fur coat", ha ha. But now you're in the know about the Great Northwest and the selling of wood.

    I just love your little town and the best part is you guys are within walking distance, too.

    How is Eli doing? I've been thinking about the little guy. Hope he's doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What pretty photos of the mountain! 'Love the fog! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so darned pretty where you live! I love to see your photos!! In your defense about the red fur, they did spell fur wrong. It should have been Fir. So I was thinking coat too. We just had a half cord of mixed wood deli reed and it was 130.00!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! I LOVE enchiladas and I remember I always liked the Rosarita brand of sauce too. Your photos of the mountains are gorgeous! Perhaps, besides dragons and eagles, there's a sasquatch or two hiding up there--you never know.
    Blessings,
    Aimee
    PS: Just so you know, my DH swears he saw a sasquatch when on a mountain road one night many decades ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, how cool all those beautiful wild turkeys! Bet your dogs didn't know what to make of that much snow ;-3
    I'm making your enchies today - and just might make your Mama Dip's Chocolate Pie to take for Thanksgiving.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and Ken and the dawgs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. loving all the landscape pics! looks so different from AZ where I live. I WISH I lived in your town. a lot more cozy/homey like.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That board is interesting to look at. Ha ha on the red fir, but would be easy to think of it the way you did. Only trouble with burning any kind of pine/fir is the resin or sap. It can plug a chimney and catch it on fire. Was that what they were selling it for, fire wood? You sure get plenty of wildlife. Is there gonna be one turkey less cause it will be roasting in your oven? Deer season, yep, it is that time of year. My brother went out last week and said he didn't get one cause he was a "bad shot". He has been a hunter and fisherman for more years than I can count. I've got 2 dozen canning jars just waiting to fill with deer meat for him. On the other hand my friend in Florida owns 60 acres of woods in Georgia and her 9 year old grandson got his first deer this week. Have you ever had venison? They say if fixed right it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥