Tuesday, November 03, 2015

Turkey-Sweet Potato Chili


Turkey Chili with Sweet Potato

I gotta tell ya...this stuff was good! Both of these pictures were taken before the chili was done and the sweet potato had cooked down a bit and softened. We both liked it just as well as "regular" chili. This one is supposed to be healthier for you, and I suppose it is. The original recipe came from the skinnytaste website. I added lots more of the spices because it was just bland their way. Here's what I did...

Turkey Chili with Sweet Potato

1 pkg (20 oz.) Jennie-O ground turkey
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 tsp salt
3 cloves garlic, shopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
2 bay leaves
Chopped jalapeno, fresh or from a jar (optional for heat!)
10-oz can Rotel tomatoes with green chilies
8-oz can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
handful of chopped cilantro

Brown turkey in a skillet breaking it apart as it cooks. Add salt, onion, garlic, and spices and cook until onion is translucent.  Add tomatoes and tomato sauce, sweet potato, and water.  Cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water if necessary.

We used our leftover turkey chili for nachos: Heat leftover chili in a pan until it's heated through. Cover a cookie sheet with tortilla chips, spoon the chili over all, add shredded cheese to the top and place under broiler until cheese is melted. Serve with salsa and/or your favorite toppings.

I will make this again!



I ordered this Matcha green tea powder online the other night on Amazon.

I wanted to make a green tea frappucino like you can get at Starbucks.
They're so good!
Why is home-made never as good? It was just okay.
But I will use up this green tea powder because it's supposedly so good for you.
I'll probably just put a tsp in a big bite of my oatmeal in the mornings and be done with it.
It's too much of a hassle to make one of these frapps and clean it up.

Green Tea Frapp

1 cup of milk (I used 1%)
2 tsp green tea powder
Sugar or Splenda to taste
1 cup of ice

Blend until smooth.

You can read about matcha tea HERE if you're interested.


I've been terrible about leaving comments on your blogs lately. I've had more work than usual the past couple of weeks. When that happens and I spend a lot of time on the computer, I just don't feel like sitting here surfing, reading, and commenting. Sorry. The workload is not going to let up and is, in fact, going to increase this month. Our schedule is full already. I may be scarce in the commenting department, but I'm still reading. I always read your posts on my phone, but my phone has been acting up and it's difficult to post comments from it. Dropping it in a rock driveway and smashing the glass probably didn't help things! Ugh. And I have an Otter phone protector too, but even it cannot save the glass on your phone when you drop it on jagged rocks. Do I have cell phone insurance? NO. I've had it in the past and never needed it. I could have taken a sledgehammer to it when I had insurance and it would have been fine, but now that I don't...you know the story.

Anywho...nothing much happening here. I can't get in the mood to crochet no matter how much I want to. I can't find a book I want to read either. So I guess I'll just sit around and stare at the wall or TV in my spare time until some kind of inspiration hits me.

For those of you who commented or emailed or texted...thanks for the birthday wishes yesterday!

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

See ya.

20 comments:

  1. Oh my!
    Happy Birthday!
    Sorry I missed it yesterday!
    As for the cell phone insurance... I have it and STILL had to pay $150 to replace my cell phone {and then much to hubby's delight} had to do it a 2nd time :-(((
    The chili looks FABULOUS!!!
    Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods.
    Just take life as easy as you can
    Inspiration always comes back around.
    Have a good day,
    Danette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belated Happy Birthday Pammy Sue I hope you had a good day. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure glad you are enjoying the fall. This year especially we need the rain and I've missed it. I love fall here in the NW but come about February I am so tired of the grey days and rain. I've only briefly lived outside of Oregon. (Las Vegas for a year!) So I've always dreamed on living someplace sunny. (but not the desert!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh damn! I meant to wish you a belated happy birthday! That's why I commented...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, missed your B-day.
    Happy Belated to you!!!

    I bought an LG Ultimate 2 phone from QVC (or was it HSN) when I left AT&T. I had an iPhone and loved it but this LG is so nice. And 'm saving over a $1,000 a year. It has what they call Gorilla glass. I haven't dropped it to see if that's true, but if I do I'll let you know if it holds up. It gets great reviews, too.

    Been wondering if you've been able to have your tooth taken care of, I sure hope so.

    Love sweet potatoes any which way you cook them, they are so good.

    Not to worry sometimes you have to sit back and relax. And if that takes staring at the walls, so be it.
    Take care & stay healthy

    ReplyDelete
  6. *H*A*P*P*Y* * *B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y*!*!*!* Sorry about your cracked phone.. you'll have to get a new one. Don't work too hard! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A birthday and I missed it! Happy, happy birthday my dear Pammy Sue. I hope it was a good one. I've been seeing lots of people online talking about sweet potatoe chili this year and I'd never even heard of it before. I made my plain old regular chili over the weekend and it hit the spot with the cooler, rainy weather. I'm hpguessi g you'll soon have something tickle your fancy that you'll want to crochet. U till then, enjoy just relaxing. :-). Have a wonderful day my friend and happy late birthday again!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated Happy Birthday from me too, Pammy Sue! Yesterday was my oldest sister's birthday as well.
    I just got caught up on your posts and am glad to read you had a good time at the Pampered Chef party! I'm sorry about your broken tooth and broken phone :( Your four pawed friends are very stylish in their sweaters, and I bet they are/will be glad to wear them in their new climate. I am going to make the recipe you shared in this post tonight for dinner...after I go to the grocery store. The Canadian products you showed are interesting...oh and that green tea powder stuff you bought is similar to a vegan protein powder I bought. I am not keen on the fuss of mixing and cleaning up after using it either...but I will use it...eventually. We have a leaky water pipe under our drive way and I am still making contacts to get it fixed...Love the photos of where you are living and am so glad you are recognizing folks and they are recognizing you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you posted a review of that Matcha. I was looking into it last month and reading the reviews on Amazon, but didn't pull the trigger. Might pass on it now. I'll have to try the Starbucks drink though...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday Pammy Sue from Shirley in N.Z.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A belated Happy Birthday, dear Pammy Sue! I hope you had a wonderful time. A hug.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband did the same with his phone - he was able to get the glass replaced. But I think it depends on the type of phone. That chili looks good. Not so sure about the green tea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're getting to be like those professional cooks on TV - photographs taken before cooking :) It looks great anyway and I bet you enjoyed it. That's a shame about your phone but what a good excuse to get one of the new iPhones - I'm contemplating upgrading my 5s to a 6s, mainly because of the better camera. Hope you get your crochet mojo back soon. Don't work too hard. xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday a day late!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy belated birthday, fellow Scorpio! Mine was on the 1st! Hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Belated Birthday to you! Sorry about your phone. Mine froze up completely the other day and I had visions of being without, so I understand. They are such a part of our lives now.
    I have never heard of adding sweet potatoes to chili before, but I do love chili and I also love sweet potatoes.
    Blessings,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  18. mouthwatering blogpost!!
    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhh such a yummy post! I love sweat potato anything. Thanks for sharing.

    I think while you can't get the mojo to crochet, you should knit. :) There are so many awesome patterns out there now that it is getting closer to Christmas. It's good to switch from crochet to knitting every once in while. I am in my knitting phase right now (can you tell). :)

    Wishing you a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh...and Happy B-Lated Birthday, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥