Saturday, November 28, 2015

Hiya


1.  I never paid much attention to Adele. I didn't think she was really "my thing" or music I would like. Wow, was I wrong. I caught her performance on Jimmy Fallon the other night. Loved it! You can see it here:  Adele - Water Under the Bridge from The Tonight Show, 11/23/15. Terrific! I then went to YouTube and watched three more of her videos. Guess I'll have to go get her new CD now.

*I came back to add another video/song that is so good!  Adele - When We Were Young. It made me cry. Everything makes me cry.

2.  Another thing I've really enjoyed lately is Joy Behar's new show, Late Night Joy, on TLC. She's so funny, and I like her. I bet she can be a real bitch though. Ha. I've seen three episodes so far. It's on Wednesday nights at 11/10 Central Time. I'm not sure when it comes on here. I just have it set to record so I watch the recording whenever I want. You can see a little clip here:  Late Night Joy

3.  I bought a full set of knitting needles with interchangeable circular thingies a little over a week ago. I even bought a new hat pattern and new yarn to use. I cast on and joined, then I screwed up within the first 4 stitches from there and had to rip it all out. I haven't picked it back up since. Why do I keep torturing myself (and spending money) with knitting? I'm so stubborn! I WILL master it some day, I swear. Between work and just everyday life, I just haven't had the time or inclination to start again.

4.  The heat is repaired and back on since yesterday afternoon. We were shocked that someone was able to come out on Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, but they did. We were also shocked at how little it cost compared to what we were expecting. $99 for the service fee and $19.75 for labor. WHAT? Unheard of. There were no major parts involved so I'm sure that helped. We now know more about how to run the silly thing when it's super-cold (which it is here A LOT!). There was a hidden fuse actually inside the unit in the basement that we didn't know about and isn't mentioned in the instruction manual. It had blown out, probably because it was a 2 amp instead of the proper 3 amp and it was working its ass off to keep it warm with the extended 20-degree weather. (Ken had checked the breakers in the basement, but was unaware of the one located inside the heating unit.) Argh. Now we know. We're thankful it wasn't something major though.

5.  There is still snow everywhere. Hardly any of it has melted because the temps have not risen above freezing. Who knew snow could last for days and days from one 3-inch snowfall event? I've only seen Texas snow, which is always gone within hours because it's snowing one minute and 70 the next day. Ha.

6.  I didn't cook on Thanksgiving this year. We had leftover Chicken & Wild Rice Soup. I had made a new batch of it a few days before (minus the flour, butter, and cream...I'm trying to behave and be healthier), so we just had that.

7.  I made some Lemon-Ricotta Pancakes for breakfast on Thanksgiving Day. They are AMAZING! They are great with a squeeze of lemon over them and a sprinkle of powdered sugar. You should try this recipe:  Amazing Lemon-Ricotta Pancakes  This made 12 pancakes using a 1/3-cup measuring cup of batter each. They keep well in the fridge with a piece of waxed paper between each. They are good reheated in the microwave, and I've eaten a couple cold ones straight out of the fridge. I love the lemon flavor! Even Ken said he likes them better than regular buttermilk pancakes. I found another recipe that uses only whole wheat flour for these that I'm going to try next. I can't imagine that they're as good, but we'll see. They'll certainly be healthier without any white flour.

8.  I'm going to get dressed and go for a walk later. We've been doing that nearly every day. When we first got up, I thought I might want to go shopping in Canada today, but I'm feeling it less and less as the minutes tick by. Maybe we'll at least go for a drive and explore some roads we haven't been on yet. Maybe we'll be near a Walmart and I can run in and buy that new Adele CD. I'd be shocked if they're not sold out. Hmpf. I'm always late to the party. I should just order it online from Amazon and forget it. I think I will.

9.  Eli update: His hip pain seems to be better, although he's still not his old self. He may never be back 100%. He is seven years old now and with the cold and damp weather here in Washington now, he may just be slowing down permanently. He is able to jump up onto things now, but he chooses more and more to just lay on the floor, which is very unusual. He's just noticeably less wild and active. The baby aspirin seemed to help him those first few days, but we stopped giving them to him because long-term use is not recommended. I know there's medicine a vet can give him for long-term use, but we're not ready to go there. We've been through this with other dogs in the past. I'm not sure it did a whole lot of good and just prolonged the misery for everyone. Bad hips and joints seem to be so pervasive nowadays among a lot of dog breeds.

10.  Oh, I did a little Christmas decorating on Thanksgiving Day. I put up some lighted garland on the banister and unpacked a bunch of lights and other decorations for inside the house. I plan on putting a string of lights around three of the smaller front and side windows and some hanging three big lighted decorations in the largest front window. We haven't decided if we want to put a tree up or not. We have a brand-new white one that Ken bought three years ago that has never been out of the box. Maybe we'll get some Christmas spirit and put it up. The last time I put up a big tree, I ended up taking it down two weeks BEFORE Christmas! It annoyed me. Ha. Bah Humbug!

11.  What else? Hmm...not a whole lot. What's mainly on my mind lately is getting healthier and losing some weight. I don't want to wait until January. Why wait when I can be 2 months ahead of the game by then? I'm sure I'll make a few goodies for Christmas, but that doesn't mean I have to eat it ALL, right? We'll see. Maybe I won't make much candy and junk this year. Maybe I'll up the walking even more. Seriously, it could happen! It definitely won't happen if I don't try. So I'm getting myself all jazzed and have bought a few healthy magazines and books and have been looking at healthy recipes online too. It helps me and motivates me to immerse myself in it.

12.  Sorry, no pictures today. I'm being lazy and don't feel like uploading, downloading, editing, and posting. I'm allowed.

13.  I'm going to enjoy my last two long-weekend days off. There's already work waiting for me for Monday. How annoying. I shouldn't say that. I should be grateful instead of annoyed. I always have to remind myself of that.

Okay, that's all.
See ya.

11 comments:

  1. You don't sound lazy at all, you sound busy and happy. Hugs to you, Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im ok without pictures. Just like the read and keeping up. Just asked why I was giggling....the part about being amazed the snow had not melted. Adele is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got an Adele CD for Christmas last year (or maybe it was the year before) and at the time I didn't really like her but now I think she's good. Must dg that CD out and have another listen. I think I only put about one of the songs in my iTunes. Poor Eli - does he wear a coat all the time? It might help with the pain if he's warm. I tend to agree with you about Christmas decorations. We always put them up on 15th December which is the day after my daughter's birthday. By Christmas I'm usually fed up with them and can't wait till they come down again which is usually before 7 January. Mind you, I love seeing all the coloured lights and decorations people put on their houses - always a lovely drive around looking at them. I suspect we'll be tearing our hair out this year with Oliver wanting to pull at everything :) Enjoy your Sunday. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll get the knitting, we were all beginners once.
    Sounds great about the healthy, am trying too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love what MamaTCanDo said. We were all beginners once. You will get the knitting thing. You will. It took me many years before I "got it" and many ripping out and starting over, too. I still rip out and start over, but the important thing girlie...is to get back up on that horse when it dumps your butt! :) If I can learn to knit anyone on this planet can learn to knit. I have faith in you. I know you can do this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We still have our snow too. It's 16F as I write this and not expected above freezing for a few more days, I forget that snow is new to you. Since I was a child I was used to it snowing in November and sticking around until March or April. I enjoyed your newsy post today. We had our chicken enchiladas on Thanksgiving and I make the chicken and wild rice soup yesterday. I did use the butter, flour and cream though. My bad. I would be glad to help with your knitting anytime you want to meet Pammy Sue. Enjoy your Sunday.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:47 AM

    hi pammy sue...live in he northeast so acclimatized to snow/ice and cold temps for long stretches...
    that's wonderful the central heating is back on...that a repairman came quite quickly...that you learned
    about the hidden fuse...it's always something...for thanksgiving had turkey meatloaf with a ketchup
    topping and potato bread stuffing...all good...thank you for the review and link for the amazing lemon-
    ricotta pancakes...definitely on the to-make list...thinking about your puppies their comfort...take care....sally

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your newsy post today.. or was it yesterday? Not sure. Yup.. snow in these cold climates can last for weeks! and then it'll snow on top of it.. and then snow on top again.. and again! and never melt because it says at 15 degrees forever.. and I live in Central Oregon! I can imagine how much worse it'll be up there when you get those Arctic Blasts coming down from Alaska! I've liked hearing the Adele song on The Voice but don't think I actually ever SAW her until you directed us to the YouTube video! She is so pretty and loved her voice and that song was beautiful. I'm definitely going to go listen to more. You'll get the knitting.. I used to knit but enjoy crochet more now as doesn't hurt my hands.. holding the knitting needles that certain way makes my hands and wrists hurt so I do crochet which is so fun... though it can also cause a little hand pain in us with some carpal tunnel or arthritis. Some things though, I must admit, look better knitted. Keep on keeping on with it! I always enjoy your blogs posts and did I tell you? I've been going back to your blog and reading everything since 2006! I'm at about 2011 mid year right now.. and having a blast and it's like reading a good book! You ought to publish it all into a book... I'm serious. Is funny and fun to read. Keep it up. Love it. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how many times did I throw the needles across the room and pick up my hook? I don't even know. Many many times. But then I discovered all the vids on Youtube, and I got Determined! It took about 2 months of just keepin on keepin on, finding my "comfort zone" of holding the needles and yarn, and before I knew it, I was knitting all kinds of stuff. I'm still not as good nor as fast as my crochet, but I CAN knit, if I choose. Also, one thing that really helped, is I stopped trying to force myself to hold the yarn in my left hand (continental) just because I kept hearing it was the "right" way. it just was not comfortable and my tension is crap, unless I hold it in the right hand (English). Also, I learned to "flick" (not dropping the needle to wrap the yarn) and boy did my speed increase then. Don't give up. If you really want to be a knitter, you can do it, just keep practicing (miles and miles of garter stitch I did), get comfy and find your "zone" and before you know it, there won't be a knitting pattern you can't do. And I highly recommend the how-to vids on youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pammy Sue,

    Good to hear you are doing well and working on being healthy! The Christmas Season does not help, does it, with all these tasty things springing up everywhere... ;)

    Buying adjustable knitting needles is a good step in the right direction. I have got so many cheap ones, but once I started to invest in some knit pro cables and different size needles, I never looked back. Good tools are important!

    Now I'm eyeing up some Furls crochet hooks, they are terribly expensive, but I can imagine them being very comfortable. Have you heard of them?

    Have a nice week!
    Ingrid xx
    Myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  11. No snow here in Arizona. Thank goodness. I don't miss those long Utah winters. I loved reading your post today. It gave me a lot to think about. Big hugs, Bev

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥