Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Best Chocolate Pie

Two of my babies. So sweet!
My girl, Sammi, is so gray.
She makes my heart squeeze and swell with love.
They all do.

Food for the race last Sunday.
Baked Ham & Cheese Sliders...Recipe HERE.
*I added a Tbsp of brown sugar to the topping.

And that chocolate pie?? Well... 


Look how chocolaty and decadent!

Definitely not your typical Jell-O Pudding chocolate pie!

I got the recipe out of this book.
It's the BEST chocolate pie I've ever made.
And here I am to share it with you!

Mama Dip's Chocolate Pie

1 frozen pie crust, UNBAKED (I used Marie Callender's)
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)
1 stick butter
3 eggs, lightly beaten
Pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract

Note: There's no flour in the recipe. It's not a mistake.
Remove crust from freezer and set aside while you put the filling together. In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, cocoa, and pinch of salt and whisk together. Melt the butter in a saucepan on the stove. Once the butter has melted, add the milk, eggs, and vanilla; mix well. Stir in the sugar mixture and stir for about two minutes just until the sugar has dissolved. Mixture will be warm, but not hot. Mixture will be thin. Remove from heat and pour mixture into the pie crust. Place pie in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Mixture will still seem thin when you remove it from the oven, but it will thicken up as it cools. Cool two hours on the counter and then refrigerate until completely cold. Serve with whipped cream.

There are so many pie recipes in this book. I LOVE PIE! I can't wait to try more of them.

 We have about a dozen apples ready to come off this tree.
I picked one and ate it right there. It tasted like a Golden Delicious, but it was smaller.
Picking and eating an apple right off the tree was on my bucket list.
It's a simple thing, but I'd never done it.
CHECK!

 There are tons of pears just about ready too.
You're supposed to pick them before they're completely ripe.
I'm going to pick them today and put them in the basement to ripen.
Not sure what I'll use them for. Maybe some pear/pineapple jelly?

I got a new (bigger) basket for my bicycle and Ken put it on for me.
Now Ollie can go for a ride with us more comfortably.

I was gifted a baby blanket pattern yesterday so I started it last night.
I had to go to the garage and dig into all my yarn to find what I wanted.
I didn't know it, but Ken had dumped all my bins of yarn into boxes.
It all needs to be sorted and put in bins again. Sounds like a good wintertime activity to me!
It's a fun pattern and should go quickly.
I just finished the work I had in, so I'm going to go crochet on it right now.

Before I go, I want to show you what we saw on Saturday...

This black bear was in a tree on the side of the road eating apples!
I mean less than 10 feet from the road!

We couldn't believe our eyes, so we turned around to go look again and try to get a picture. Unfortunately, I was too freaked and couldn't get a shot of him in the tree. He jumped down (I'm sure when he heard me squealing) and started to run. I snapped this shot as he turned to look back at us. See the apple tree in the foreground? That's where he was sitting munching on apples. A FREAKIN' BEAR! We knew they were around because we've seen signs to hunters telling them to make sure they know the difference between black bears and grizzlies before they shoot. Grizzlies are protected and you can't hunt them. I can't imagine wanting to shoot any kind of bear! Why? Why would you do that? So senseless.

And, as usual, we saw deer all over the place in Colville.
They are everywhere just meandering along eating things in people's yards.
How fun is that?

See ya!

22 comments:

  1. Oh my what a wonderful life you are living, may God bless you even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well girl, between the fruit-bearing trees and the wildlife, I would say you are having all sorts of emotions. Frankly, I would much rather find an apple in my tree than a bear. I wondered about that, if you would be encountering any and now I have my answer. The deer are fun at first, but while you are planning your spring planting you might want to also read up on how to detour them away from all your hard work. They can jump over a 5 foot fence. My one brother also lives in the country in a nice subdivision and the deer munch on his shrubs all year long. It does not make him happy. Your dogs might be the best solution. The bear, well I am not any kind of expert on that but surely the people who are now your neighbors will be the best info on how to deal with that. You sure are getting a lot of exposure to a new life style. The pie looks good. One good thing about small town living is the laid back pace of it all. No more hustle and bustle of what you came from. Life is at a much slower pace and all that fresh air definitely lets you sleep better at night. You are in God's country now. Life is good.
    P.S. Apples....applesauce, apple jelly, apple butter, apple pie filling. Pears....pear butter, canned pears....I'm sure your mind is working them up someway. have fun.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy pie! I'm copying that recipe right now and thank you very much. You can't go wrong with chocolate. Well, Pammy Sue, I've lived here almost 23 years and haven't seen a bear. You've beat me on that one. Of course I live in the "big" city. :-) Would you and Ken like to meet us for lunch on Saturday in Colville? We can text later in the week. I'm so glad you're crossing off bucket list things. Apples, pears BEARS! Oh my!
    Blessings my friend,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pie looks great! I haven't made a chocolate pie in years and I've never tried a homemade one. Sounds like you are really settling in. Great basket for your bike. Mine is a wicker woven one and when we go bike riding, I get to haul all our "stuff". :-) Seeing a bear so close would be a bit scary. People eat them silly. :-) My uncle shot a bear one time and we tried the meat; very gamey and not to my liking, but I'm sure there are people out there who like it. Have a terrific day, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. delicious chocolate pie recipe, check! I have to try this tonight. I've been buying those Edwards Dark Chocolate pies for ever and theyre nearly $8!!! This is cheaper, and home made! I could eat chocolate pie till my eyes pop out. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love seeing your babies! Our 8 yr old rescue Scottie Rosie is a brindle and when she's groomed you can see her gray.
    Poor bear - they love fruit as much as we do. It must be awful trying to stay alive in this drought. Just let them have their space.
    That chocolate pie looks so yummy! Thanks for the recipe.
    I've been eyeing my neighbors pear tree. It's so loaded with pears. I know if I ask nicely they'd gift enough for jam making.
    Love your bike. I have one that hangs in the garage. I'm to fluffy (fat) right now to ride it without falling...LOL
    Shame on your DH for dumping all your yarn together. But you're right it will make for a winter project reorganizing it all. I've pared down all my yarn and am trying to knit it all up so I can order more.
    Enjoying your blog. Looking forward to your next posting & more photo's of your four legged family members.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never a dull moment it seems! The pie looks yummy...thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, a bear nearby! I don't even have those.. that I know of. Hopefully you won't have trouble with them getting into your garbage cans, etc. That chocolate pie looked deeeevine! I want some! I am going to copy that recipe. We're leaving in the am.. so I'll miss commenting for a few weeks.. but I'll be back soon. We're off to our annual lake camping trip. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmm, mmmm, that pie looks great! Good finds at the thrifts too! I forgot to comment in previous post, that I have the same jello mold with changeable lids. Fun!
    I would be thrilled to see deer and bear around me. I could not ever shoot one either. They are just so beautiful.
    Your apples and pears look fabulous!!! Wish I had a tree of each!!!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, you sound so great since you moved to your new place. What can I say about seeing a real live bear but OMG. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi....you left just in time to miss the record breaking heat we are having in north Texas. I'm wondering how your sweet pups have adjusted to the move. My Boston has not been happy since we moved 4 yrs. ago. Our back yard is tiny and has a wood fence and he hates to go outside now. The previous house had a huge backyard with a chain link fence and I think he felt he ruled the neighborhood as he ran himself silly looking at the walkers, cars, other dogs and cats and kids playing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. great post today! sammi is old, isn't she?
    the pie is absolutely decadent :))))
    the apples and pears ... I know, I have lots of them myself in my yard and all I do with apples is to preserve them in the basement for the winter, and with the pears to stew them.
    but bears and deers ... OMG, what a wild life you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the pic of Sammi and Fletch .. so cosy cuddled up together. Your pie looks very yummy - I went to a Thermomix demonstration today and I actually cooked the Mushroom Risotto - should have taken a pic but didn't think about it. I was so impressed with what the machine can do and would love one but with my soon to be starting home improvements plus my out of pocket expenses for the new hip, I might have to curtail my expenditure for a little while. Hey, what a bonus to have those fruit trees. Apple pies, apple crumble, oh, my mouth is watering. Didn't know about pears being picked before they ripen .... you learn something new every day eh? They look like lovely pears. I hope that bear won't hurt you - are they a danger? What a dear little deer - do you think you'll ever be able to touch it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. A bear! We have had bear sightings in my town lately. So glad you are experiencing things that others take for granted, myself included. Pie looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd love to see a bear like that though I think I'd be a bit scared too. Your pie looks delicious. You could try poaching some of your pears - makes a nice dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now that you have bears walking down the street, it really does feel like where I grew up! Just bought pears at the market to make a salad with pears and goat cheese. I would love a pear tree.
    I pinned that chocolate pie recipe. Looks too good to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow it must be a big mistake to not take your camera with you everywhere! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhhhh I LOVE the bear~! Scary in a way. They love apples I hear.
    So fun to read your posts

    ReplyDelete
  19. A bigger basket on your bike means bigger miles and thus more chocolate pie. See haven't you missed me and my brand of humor. Remember you have Map my Ride App on your phone to track your routes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful that there is so much wildlife, although personally I am a right scaredy so I could live without the bears! Good to see them from a nice safe distance on your blog though!!! I love your bike and the new basket looks great on it doesn't it! Hope you enjoy some great rides on it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Pammy Sue! I rarely comment & don't have a blog, but I am always lurking... (That makes me sound creepy lol) You sound so much happier, content, at peace, etc. since your move. Good on for you, girl! I would love to know how y'all picked this area of the country.
    Now, my main reason for commenting now is I have an old Kerr canning recipe for Pear Honey to share with you. No honey in the recipe but it makes a scrumptious spread that has a honey like consistency. It is great on toast, but especially wonderful on english muffins or biscuits.
    PEAR HONEY
    3 pounds ripe pears (9 cups)
    1 cup crushed pineapple
    Grated rind and juice of 1 lime
    5 cups sugar
    Wash, pare & core the pears; slice before measuring. Put through a food chopper using the fine blade. Combine pears & pineapple. Add the lime rind & juice. Add sugar & cook over slow heat, stirring frequently. Cook for 20 minutes, Pour into jars & seal while hot.
    If you don't have a food chopper, I bet a light pulse in the food processor would work better anyway. You want small-ish chunks. I hope you try this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This pie is so freaking good!!! I did it just the way you said, Pammy, and it turned out poifect! I'm getting that cookbook! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥