Sunday, August 02, 2015

Gone Exploring

I'm exactly at the half-way point with my shawl.
It's more of a scarf, really.
I'll be crocheting more on it today during the race.

We were gone nearly all day yesterday exploring the area. It was Ken's birthday, so we made a day of it.

We ate breakfast and dinner here at the Mustang Grill.
It's the only restaurant in town for the moment.
There's another place opening up this month sometime.




First we drove down one side of the river to the little town of Kettle Falls. We did some antique shopping here. We didn't buy anything though. Look at all the thread and yarn and crochet and knit stuff! I'll have to come back and do some serious shopping. I kept having hot flashes and was just too miserable to shop and pick anything out. I did almost buy some lace curtains I found. I guess they're my latest obsession.

While we were in town, I saw a little sign that said "U-Pick Corn." I became obsessed with that little sign and with picking some corn, so off we went looking for the place. The directions were scarce. We just kept driving until we saw another sign. Deeper and deeper into the countryside we drove.

Finally, we found it! This little homestead was amazing! The gardens were unbelievable. Take a look for yourself...









If this little place doesn't inspire you to get outside and plant some things around your house, nothing will! I knocked on the door of the house and talked to the lady that lived there. I wasn't sure how the whole "U-Pick" thing worked, so I asked her if we just went over to the field and picked or what. She said there was a box over there to place your money in (4 ears for $1). There were signs that told you where to pick. The field is planted in sections so that different sections ripen at different times. I thanked her and told her how gorgeous her yard was, then we drove next door to the corn field.


Funny story! Here we go.

So we drove over to the field and parked. I was engrossed in reading all the little signs around the money box that told about the field and how to cook the corn or prepare it for freezing, etc. Ken went ahead of me into the field and I followed. Being in a corn field kind of gave me a creepy feeling. I'm not sure why, other than it was a really remote place. After we got a good ways into the field, I suddenly heard something behind me. I whirled around and there was this big bearded guy in a sleeveless shirt directly behind me! I screamed and started to turn and run. This guy really scared the shit out of me! Ken hollered, "Pam! He's just here to pick corn! Didn't you see him drive up?" Well, apparently I did not. I was sure Billy Bob Slingblade was after us to kill us in the cornfield! When I screamed, he jumped back and his eyes got big as saucers. He said I scared him way more than he scared me, and he was happy we were just going to pick corn instead of calling 911 for him. We laughed about that all day.

We did finally pick our corn (my first corn-picking ever!) and left. We only got 8 ears this time, but we'll be going back so I can pick some to cut off the cob and freeze. The lady said they were also going to have blackberries, tomatoes, and a few other things to sell soon.

Here's the birthday boy with our corn.
Happy Birthday, Baby!

We left Kettle Falls and crossed the Columbia River and came back home up the other side. The views were spectacular!











I never tire of the views these mountains and the River provide.
I hope you don't either!

When we got back home, we had about an hour before the Mustang Grill started serving dinner. We had planned to go back there and eat dinner for Ken's birthday. Saturday is the only day they are opened for dinner. Usually it's just breakfast and lunch and they're closed by 2:30.

We had steak salads with blue cheese crumbles, boiled eggs, tomatoes, caramelized purple onions, and candied pecans. Then for dessert, we split a piece of apple pie ala mode! It was all really good. We were stuffed and a little bit sick after eating. We had to come home and lie down for a while.

What a perfect day!
See ya.

24 comments:

  1. Sounds fun! Happy birthday, Ken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *H*A*P*P*Y* * *B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y*!*!*!* to Ken! I totally loved getting to go on your adventure with you! Your corn field story cracked me up. Your views up there really are magnificent.. I will never tire of them.. as you know because I never tire of our part of the Columbia River. Enjoy your Sunday. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're enjoying your new home and community. It seems like a really good fit for you. I love your story about the cornfield. I would have been scared too. But actually, I love Slingblade! "French-fried potatoes, mmm-hmmm," LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very funny story with the corn and your fun little places to see are great but not sure you should post them cause I am jealous a bit :) you make it look like we should move there HA HA HA :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to ken, have you ever seen Children of the Corn? No wonder you were scared.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pammy. I got busy and got caught up on all your posts since you left Texas. You sure put some distance between you and that state. I wondered how things would go for you when traveling with 5 dogs. I have 2 and just making a 10 minute trip to the groomers or a 20 minute trip to the vets will result in my Chewy having a melt down. I could not imagine several days of listening to that. So you landed in Washington state. I think you will be glad for having the garage next to your property. You could always plant some sort of evergreen along the property line. That way you don't have to see any of that no matter what time of year. Come winter you will be exceptionally glad. There will never be any excuse to be snowed in and I guess you will find out how handy those folks will come in once the weather changes. Hope you have some heavy coats, long johns, socks, sweaters, hats, gloves and whatever else needed for winter. Guess the best way to find out what the weather is like is ask the locals who have been there for years. Could be the winters are mild, but you can't hear me laughing, lol. Kinda crappy that your new friend didn't show for the evening out. We are all kin to disappointment. Happened to me before too, so know how that feels. Your comment about the friendliness in the South compared to the Northern states, you are right, but being the new kids on the block always puts you in a precarious position and disadvantage. I know you realize that until they figure you out they won't bend over backwards to be friendly yet. Actually, shame on them, to have a friend you need to show yourself friendly and be a friend. It isn't easy to pull up roots and move to the unknown. You sure did pick a beautiful place to move to. The corn picking was a real laugh. I would have screamed too. Children of the Corn comes to mind, lol. Corn fields can be creepy, heaven knows, there are tons of them around here, in fact one right across the road from me. Happy Birthday to Ken. I hope all goes well for the two of you as you settle into your new home.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday!!!

    I love corn on the cob. Com ethursday my new CROWN will be secure and I can chew again. mmmm corn here I come

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still chuckling about the slingblade/ corn incident. I was thinking your husband must be having a real nice birthday - retired, picking corn, beautiful views, fresh air and a nice dinner. Way to go.
    That garden was pretty. It's what mine looks like (in my head).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday a day late to Ken! You are having some great adventures Pammy Sue and you know I love the views. I never, ever tire of them. I laughed so hard at the corn picking incident that I had tears running down my cheeks. You have no idea how much I needed that. It's been kind of a rough day pain-wise. You gave me quite an endorphin boost with all of the laughter. At least I think that's what the "experts" call it. :-)
    Blessings always my sweet friend,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cornfield incident is hilarious! and that farmhouse and gardens and yard and flowers... OMG I'm so envious. What a beautiful area to be exploring (and living!). New to your blog and super enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another comment.... I was going to sign up to follow your blog, but don't see anywhere on the sidebar to follow you. I'm not in google friends connect.... is there any other way?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Ken what a great day to celebrate..Stunning scenery, never get tired of natures beauty..Funny story.. have a great day..and thanks for stopping by today..♥♥Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great day you had. the more you show us of the area the more I see a likeness to our Marlborough Sounds in N.Z. Superb. Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I admire you very much for these blog posts. They describe a perfect kind of life, don't they?
    Happy birthday to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Pammy Sue,

    Great to read about your latest adventures. The cornfield story made me laugh!!
    I love your photos, thanks for sharing them!! Looks like an amazing place.
    At least there is a yarn shop nearby....
    Belated happy birthday to Ken!!!
    Take care,
    Ingrid xx
    Myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Pammy, I've been enjoying all of your posts of your new life and fun(ny) adventures. I think you have found your paradise up in them there hills! :) I'm just thrilled for you! penny x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday!
    Thank you for the trip, I feel kinda at home with you after this.
    Love the place you have moved to. I would like to find a corn field like that. We ofter grill corn on the cob in summertime.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your corn story really cracked me up ... I can just imagine what it must have been like. Nice to see you're back to crocheting - I'm also making what is supposed to be a scarf but is actually a shawl. Mine is just the Road Trip scarf on Ravelry as I wanted something open and simple to show off the lovely ICE yarn I got last week from the UK. Hope Ken enjoyed his birthday and that you enjoyed your meal. Hey, are you going to go mad in that antique shop. I see some pretty doilies coming up soon. Have fun. xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dabbsc8:40 AM

    Hi! I have been following your trip and have LOVED it!!! My comments have not gone through so I reset it. Maybe this time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like you're having a great time in your new home. It's beautiful there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous6:45 PM

    hi pammy sue... a belated very HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!! to ken...such a positive, energetic and happy post...such wonderful new adventures await exploring your new environ...thank you for sharing..sally

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday Ken! Glad that you are getting out and about and exploring! Hope you don't have anyone else turning up in the cornfield to give you a fright! xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I never tire of mountain photos! Please keep them coming! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! Great pictures!! I really wish I could come visit out there!

    Happy Birthday (belated) to Ken!~~~~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥