Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Fresh Food and Raging Fires


Fresh cucumbers & onions pickled in 50/50 Vinegar/Water and just a little Splenda.

Fresh-picked corn, cabbage, and squash.

We blanched the corn on the cob and then sliced it off and froze 4 bags.
We got these four bags of corn from 14 ears of corn.
We went back and picked 34 more today!

I made this cabbage slaw out of some cabbage we picked, apples from our tree, raisins, pecans, and a dressing of mayo and lime juice, salt & pepper. YUM.



This was made from canned peach pie filling, but I did buy some fresh peaches at the farmer's market today along with some nectarines, tomatoes, jalapenos, cantaloupe, and a jar of local honey.

The honey came from Addy, a little town about an hour south of us. Addy is one of the places where the fires are raging. When we were there today at a little antique store, we saw the firefighters in helicopters working frantically to get them under control. This one is still only 10 percent controlled, which is pathetic.

I didn't buy a thing.

I was more distracted and interested in the fire-fighting we could see going on...




More fires have broken out today and gone out of control. Three firefighters have lost their lives today and four were injured. It's so sad.

Yesterday we were sitting out in our yard and heard a helicopter coming. I didn't think to go get my camera before it was upon us.  It flew right in front of our house in front of the mountain at a very low altitude. I could see clearly that it was a military helicopter. We had heard on the news that 200 National Guard were coming with one Blackhawk Helicopter. I don't think what flew by the house was a Blackhawk, but it was definitely military and Army green. It made me cry to see them coming. I'm such a crybaby! It makes me emotional to see our military coming to the rescue. I wish they'd send more.

This was how it looked from our backyard about 30 minutes ago. I took these pictures from our back driveway...




When we left this morning, it was clear-blue skies, but when we returned, this is how it looked. So smokey you could barely see the mountains, and you couldn't see them all as some were obscured by the smoke. The fires aren't even really that close to us. They are just so big and so many across the state, the smoke travels a long way.

Sorry to end on kind of a bummer, but that's the way it is. This state needs LOTS more help with the firefighting before the whole damn thing burns to the ground. I'm not exaggerating either. It's bad. If you're the praying kind, say a big one for these men battling these fires and for the people whose homes are in their paths.

See ya.

17 comments:

  1. These fires are just terrible and we are smoked out up here too. There are several hear to us and one has destroyed 49 rural properties. Started with someone throwing a cigarette butt out a car window. Makes my blood boil! Forecast for this fall is wArm and dry for our area! Your fresh produce looks great and so does your yummy cooking!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OhPammy Sue. That's exactly what it looks like at our house too. I've been praying for an unexpected dumping of rain over the entire state. My heart goes out to those poor families. On a brighter note, your food all looks delicious. I've never pickled dukes and onions and need to try that someday. I sure hope tomorrow is better but the forecast doesn't give much hope.
    Blessings my friend,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. No matter where you live there is always something to worry about. Here in Ohio we have tornadoes just like you did in Texas. When the weather gets threatening I am like a hen on a hot rock. I have a woods right next door to me so when it lightnings I always think "fire" too. It is bad enough that this owner and the previous one do not think about the dead ash trees that fall limbs every time we get heavy winds with the storms. Last time a big limb fell right on my chain link fence. I couldn't budge it off. Thank God my brother Mike is a body builder and had no trouble. Thank God it didn't fall on the corner of the garage roof. No doubt you can smell the smoke in your air. Your sky is so hazy. I hope they get the fires under control. I do pray not only for those firefighters, but for you and your husband in your new home. I pray you guys get some rain.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy these fires are out of hand. We've had a lot here too in Northern Calif. and the smoke is awful. Hope it ends soon.
    Like the colors and pattern of your baby blanket in the previous post - very pretty!
    You're really keeping busy in the kitchen. That corn idea is a good one! I just bought a handy corn slicer from Amazon and it works great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awful and so terribly sad I hope they get those fires under control soon Pammy Sue, I guess there is always something to worry about no matter where you live, your food looks yummy by the way I love pickled cucumbers. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have rain that you could borrow that look to close for comfort. Bless firefighters and family's hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so very sad about the fires and the people who have lost their lives and homes because of them. Prayers to them all. So very proud that our military is there to help out. Our military is so awesome! God Bless them all.

    Oh you made a lot of yummy looking stuff. Goodness, what a bounty. I love the slaw, it looks yummy!

    Wishing you a lovely day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for an end to the fires and safety of the firefighters.
    Corn looks yummy as does the peach pie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stay safe and enjoy your corn! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayers heading your way!

    Food looks wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hugs Pammy SUE. Stay safe. Tis the season for those awful forest fires. Fireman and I pray for all those working the fires.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those fires are so scary! I heard about those men losing their lives. It is heartbreaking. I am certainly praying for anyone involved in this. I hope they can get it under control soon.
    I am a big cry baby too. I would have been emotional to see that helicopter fly over too.
    You are cooking so many wonderful things! I am coming!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been watching the fire maps. So sad and scary. Glad more help is on the way. Those military choppers are noisy. I can hear them here to when Obama comes to town. Or the wife with the girls for a silly Beyoncé concert on a Friday night at rush hour. No thank you.

    We actually had smoke here earlier this summer from some far away Canadian fire. It was very bizarre.

    Please stay safe. And you are doing great with the canning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been watching the fire maps. So sad and scary. Glad more help is on the way. Those military choppers are noisy. I can hear them here to when Obama comes to town. Or the wife with the girls for a silly Beyoncé concert on a Friday night at rush hour. No thank you.

    We actually had smoke here earlier this summer from some far away Canadian fire. It was very bizarre.

    Please stay safe. And you are doing great with the canning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Every time I see it on the news I think of you. I wondered how close it all was to you. Praying y'all stay safe. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awful :-(. They report about those fires in our news, too. My best wishes for you and all people involved, good luck!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥