Saturday, August 08, 2015

Dogs, Thrifting, Silver, Steak, and Salad

Where to begin?
There's just so much!
How about with some of my favorite characters...

Beautiful, sweet Janie.
She does remarkably well despite her disability.
She's really not afraid of anything, and she takes the stairs into the house like she can see better than anyone else. Remarkable I tell you. What a sweet spirit.

And speaking of sweet spirits, Fletch is as sweet as they come.
Although his sweetness is tinged with a big dose of goofiness and a couple shakes of crazy.
Look at that smile! He loves showing his teeth.



My little Ollie-Wally with butterscotch dots.



And the thrifting lately has been lucky for me...

This is my haul from Sister's Secondhand Shop in town.
We rode our bikes up there earlier in the week.
I got all the silicone bakeware for $1 for each piece.
The crocheted pillow pattern book for 50 cents.
The bread machine recipe book for $2.
It belonged to her mother so I think that's why the price was higher.
And two king-size flannel pillow cases for $1 each.

Then we went to a garage sale yesterday.
I got this pressure cooker for $7.50.
I'll have to research online how to use it.
They kind of scare me. Ken says I bought a bomb. LOL.
I hope not.

I couldn't resist this Tupperware bread keeper.
She had a lot of Tupperware stuff I forced myself to pass up.
I just have no room to store all this stuff.

This leaded glass sugar bowl with silver lid and spoon, $5.
The silver is badly tarnished.
As I type this, I have it soaking in a foil-lined pan with baking soda, vinegar, and hot water.
I hope it works. I'll show you the cleaned-up version next post.

I was thrilled to find this Tupperware jello mold with interchangeable designs.
I've been looking for jello molds. Guess what you're going to see next on my blog?
JELLO!

And I snatched this up so fast when I saw it.
It's a copper jello mold for 75 cents!
The other ones I saw exactly like this were $10 and $12 at another thrift store.

Okay, so I couldn't wait...

I lined a bowl with tin foil, poured in about 1 Tbsp of baking soda, then maybe 2 Tbsp white vinegar (a chemical reaction happened here and it got all foamy), then poured in boiling water to cover. Presto change-o! I finished up by polishing with a clean cotton cloth.
It's science, people!

It cleaned up beautifully!
It's even more silvery and polished than shown here.
For some reason it looks goldish in this picture, but it's pure, shiny silver.
Ken found this exactly sugar bowl with lid (no spoon) on Etsy for $23!
Score! Woot!




I cooked some too...




This recipe is called Baked Steak. I goofed it up, but I was too far along in the process to fix it. It still turned out great. I was supposed to brown the steaks in hot oil after I dredged them, but I didn't. Now I'm kind of happy I didn't because they were still wonderful but without all that frying in oil. Yay!

See my notes at the bottom for what I changed.

Baked Steak
6 servings

2 lbs boneless round steak, fat trimmed
1 tsp each salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 sliced onion
1 cup beef broth

Cut steak into serving sized pieces. Pound with a mallet and season with salt and pepper.

Beat egg with 1/2 cup milk. Coat each piece of meat with flour, dip floured pieces into egg mixture and then back into flour to make a heavy coating.

Brown pieces in skillet in hot oil on both sides. Place onion slices in a 13 x 9-inch pan. Put browned meat on top of the onions and pour broth around the meat. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Uncover and bake for 20 more minutes.

The drippings in the pan make an excellent gravy. Serve with mashed potatoes.

Notes:  I used some boneless sirloin steaks that I got for $10.50 at Walmart. There were five big pieces in the package. After I pounded them, I added some garlic powder along with the salt and pepper. As I said, I didn't fry them. I just laid the pieces on top of the sliced onion in my baking dish. Then I used a whole can of Campbell's Soup Beef Broth (pictured). You need to add a little water, maybe a half to a full can. Mine didn't have near enough liquid. We had plenty for gravy, but there wasn't much for the leftovers. The steaks were so tender we didn't need to use a knife to cut them. They were fork-tender. The gravy and onions were wonderful over our mashed potatoes.

And the Bean Salad...

Isn't it pretty?


I got this recipe from my friend, Kate (formerly of the Garden Bell blog).
It's SO FREAKIN' GOOD! Really...FREAKIN' good!
I took a picture of the brand of seasoned vinegar I used.
There's also a Kikkoman brand, and I'm sure there are others.


Kate’s Dump and Chop / Multi-Bean Salad

1 can Green Beans
1 can Wax Beans
1 can Dark Kidney Beans
1 can Great Northern White Beans / Butter beans
1 can Garbanzo Beans

Rinse and Drain all beans. Dump them into a large container with a lid. Chop one red bell pepper and one sweet, white onion. Add to the beans.  Add one cup or more of pumpkin, sunflower, or pepita nuts.
Optional:  Finely chopped broccoli. I had some so I threw it in.

Dressing:

One can of SEASONED Rice Vinegar (seasoned is key).  I use one of the empty bean cans to measure. 
One can of Water
 ½ to ¾ths can of Splenda for baking sugar blend. (Or 16 single packets regular Splenda)
Mix all dressing ingredients well.  Pour over beans.  Refrigerate, stirring occasionally to distribute dressing and marinate everything.  Serve cold.



I had more to post, but I'm going to save it for next time in case I'm short on content. Yeah, right!

See ya!

20 comments:

  1. Awesome thrift finds Pammy Sue. Those recipes look yummy.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you sure scored some neat things! I would like one of those Tupperware jello molds. I do love me some jello. That is a really neat crystal and silver jam jar.. it would look pretty with a pretty red jelly in it. When we were in OK at our reunion, my aunt brought a jar of peach JELLY! I shouted dibs and brought it home. I can't wait to try it. My brother was vying for it but I snatched it up. You need to be careful with the pressure cooker - my sister opened hers up before it cooled down and it exploded and burned her neck badly. But if you follow the directions, you should be fine. It cooks stuff like 4 times faster than regular - and makes very tender roast, really fast. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds! Don't be scared of the pressure cooker! It is really simple to use and you'll love it!. Take the little round thingy off when you start cooking. Once the steam starts coming out of the 'spout' on the lid, place little round thingy back on. Notice the different holes marked with different pounds? I usually use the 10 pound hole. You can cook a roast in about 30 minutes, vegetables in 10, etc. Google "pressure cooker" for more recipes and ideas. Good luck and let us know how it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:42 PM

    hi pammy sue...you really scored on the thrift finds...thank you for including photos of some puppies...they are looking well...have they made the adjustment to change of residence?...sounds as you are getting quite of bit of exercise with the bike riding...the meal looks fabulous...it's so much fun to read and almost feel your joy...take care...sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did pretty good with thrifting. Was there a booklet with the pressure cooker? If it is a Mirro or Presto you might be able to google and call their 800 number and give them the model number (located on the bottom)and request one. I learned to use one way back when I first got married. My mil used one all the time. You can take cheaper cuts of meat and make them so tender, and they do cut down on cooking time. Warning though, do not try and make gravy in them with the lid on. My mil did that and all the gravy blew the cockpit off and her range hood was a mess. She said she should have known better. The booklet gives all kinds of precautions and valuable info, plus it also gives all kinds of recipes. You have to watch too that they do not loose all the steam and dry up. My father-in-law was suppose to watch the cooker one Sunday while my mil was at church and the chicken inside was pulverized, bones and all, lol. Make sure the seal inside the lid is in good shape, it has to be replaced occasionally. Some recipes tell you to remove the cooker from the stove and to cool it under running cold water. You can hear the hissing stop and then the safety lever will release. The cooker will be hot, hot, hot, so be careful. I love mine and I also use a bigger one to can veggies. I canned jars of beef in my large canner and the meat was fall apart wonderful. I wish I lived closer to you, I could show you the ropes. Hope this was a help to you.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute doggie pictures Pammy Sue. You scored big time at the thrift store. I just gave my jello mold exactly like that one to the Goodwill this past spring. How funny. I adore the sugar bowl. And you're brave to try the pressure cooker. The last time I used one, (about 35 years ago), it blew up all over my kitchen ceiling. Out went the pressure cooker, but I know people who love theirs. Guess I just never got the hang of it.
    That steak dinner looks delicious. I'll be copying that recipe down.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow look at all your bargains! I'd like a pressure cooker one day but then I'd have to find a place to store it. I have a very small kitchen. I'm afraid of blowing a hole through my roof too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun post. Can't wait to see all your jello ideas. I have a complete board on pinterest just about jello,if you are looking for ideas. Glad you enjoyed the bean salad too. Off to purge another closet before seeing the new mission impossible this rain afternoon. Hey, do you have a theater near by, just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just had bean salad for the first time about a month ago. It is sooo delicious! Thanks for posting the recipe. I hope to make it soon. Love all your thrifted finds. I have a hard time passing up tupperware too. Love that stuff.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent finds Pammy Sue. I am still holding onto those vintage crochet books for you, if you send me your new address I will pop them in the mail for you.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you you have some great deals there from your day of thrifting. Your new home is adorable, it's so beautiful there is like a picture. You and your husband look like you are so enjoying the new area you live in. I am so glad for you.
    This recipe looks amazing I am trying it on my crew tonight. I love when you try out recipes and new products.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want some of that dinner, thanks for the recipes and love the dogs and the name butterscotch is so cute too! Sugar dish find I need to go to more sales it is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pammy SUE I Want that sugar jar ...I do i Do.

    MMMMM your recipes are fun to see in action.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always love seeing your pups :-) Great finds at the thrift store! Ooh, I'm scared of the pressure cooker, too. Tim uses ours, but I won't go near it. That bean salad looks delish; thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. mmmm..you brought back some memories on that one. My mom used to make a similar dish. she'd get the cheap cut (round steak) which isn't cheap any more, she'd put it whole into a baking sheet, cover it in sliced onions and a layer of sliced potatoes, plenty of salt and peper, and about a cup of water, cover it tightly and bake for about an hour on 325 so the meat gets tender. try that too....so good! Keep on livin the dream!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a result at the thrift store! Super finds!

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did well with your thrifting. The sugar bowl is really lovely and I like the jelly moulds. I got a couple of copper ones and a ceramic one in an antique shop. they weren't as thrifty as yours! Your food looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG, how did I miss this post.
    All your sweethearts Fletch, Janie, Ollie-Wally are so beautiful. Love each of them. They're just too cute for words. What a joy they all must be.

    And your finds are out of this world. I remember those Tupperware jello molds with the interchangeable lids. Isn't that a cool tip to clean up silver. Works great!

    I'm a vegetarian and that bean salad looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sweet puppy faces!!!! Ollie does look a lot like Jack!
    I cant believe how much you are cooking!!!! Wow, now I'm hungry. My cooking really drops off in the hot summer months here!
    Your steak dish looked like good old comfort food. nd the beans, oh my!
    I somehow missed this post. You are putting them up so fast!!!!! And I am loving it!!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great finds and the dogs are sweet as ever :-). Yummy recipes, it looks so good! Thanks for sharing :-). Sunny weekend greetings, Nata

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥