Thursday, July 23, 2015

We Made It

The moving truck arrived on time and got us loaded up by around 3:00 last Monday.

I knew we had gotten a good driver when I saw he had brought his dog with him for the trip.

Her name was Sophie. She looks menacing, but she was sweet.

We left town about 3:30...


I'm leaving out the trip details. Let's just say it wasn't a fun time and I'm trying to block it out of my mind. It was impossible to enjoy it as much as we could have with five dogs in the car to wrangle and tend to. They were all really good under the circumstances, except Eli, who whined incessantly for three days. You'd think he'd get tired and give up, but he didn't. I was ready to dump his ass on the side of the road after the first day. Of course, I would never. The scenery was amazing along the way though!

Anywho...

I snapped this picture in our driveway at our new home as we pulled in. We were greeted by a family of turkeys! Those little babies were so cute! We also saw several deer on the side of the road on the way into town. That's something we're going to have to be very careful about around here. There is so much wildlife, it's amazing!


As we were sitting in our backyard the first morning there enjoying our coffee and the beautiful mountain view, this doe came walking up into our backyard! They are everywhere.

I snapped this picture standing in our backyard that same morning.


This is my view out the bedroom window when I'm sitting in bed and I look to the right. It looks like a picture hanging on the wall instead of the real world out my window!

Then about four blocks behind our house...

We can walk down to the beautiful Columbia River...

The bridge that crosses the river and leads to the Canadian border about 7 miles north of us.

The water is so clear!

I could fill up this blog entry with hundreds of pictures of the scenery around here, but I'll restrain myself for now. You'll see it all over time. We are truly living in paradise here. It's like nothing I've ever seen, and it's our own backyard!

This itty-bitty town we live in is something. I feel like I was dropped in the middle of an Angela Lansbury TV show or Mayberry RFD or something. There's a train that comes through the outskirts of town, between us and the River, once a day. It's a commercial train that carries lumber, constructions supplies and the like, and it just adds to the charm of this little town. There's a siren that goes off at Town Hall every single day at noon. It sounds like the civil defense or tornado sirens we were used to hearing in Texas.  If it goes off any time other than noon, it's to alert you to a fire in the mountains. One round on the siren means there's a fire in District 1, two means District 2, and three means District 3. Yes, things are definitely a lot different around here. Fires are an everyday occurrence this time of year.

We have noticed that people are not as friendly here as they are in Texas. Southern Hospitality is something these folks have apparently never heard of. It's just plain weird. Nobody is mean or rude or anything...it's just that they keep you at arms-length and aren't outwardly friendly. Nobody waves when you pass them on the road driving either. It'll take some time settling in and getting used to the ways around here. We're very much looking forward to it.

In the meantime, we're too busy unpacking tons of boxes and getting everything in place around here to care about that at the moment. I'll be glad when that's done and we can really settle into everyday life.

We finally got Internet service and our computers up and running on Wednesday. We're still working on getting any kind of TV. DirectTV is giving us a hard time. They're coming out for a second time next Saturday to try and get us hooked up. Seems all the mountains and all the trees are a problem for satellite. Who knew? There is no such thing as cable up here where we live though and satellite is the only option. They're going to have to erect a pole or something. We must have TV!! Right? We shall see.

Okay, that's it for now. Time to select a few more boxes to unpack. Much more to come, my friends!

28 comments:

  1. Wow, wonderful pictures.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful area you and your husband have settled in (I still want to call him The Captain). :-) Looking forward to hearing about your new town and pictures as you get settled. Take care, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you made it safely. Congrats on the new home! It looks lovely. Good luck with your unpacking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I have been checking everyday for a posting. So glad to see you are getting settled in. I'm already thinking about that first Montana snow coming this winter. Enjoy this weather while you can. So excited for you and will be popping by more to see all the new things you are imbarking upon on this next journey in life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pammy Sue! You're here! Yippee! I'm here and I'm nice! lol. I was surprised by the way people were when we first moved here from the Midwest. You are experiencing what I love most about this lovely state. Beautiful scenery. Wildlife galore and a simpler life. I would lOvE to live in a small town like you are. Unfortunately fires have been awful this year...it's way too dry. Oh, I'm so happy you're here! Just wait till I get the all clear to drive. We can see each other in real life and not just through our blogs. Welcome home!
    Blessings my friend,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you got there safely, it looks a beautiful place and the weather will suit you, I think. Where is the nearest yarn store??? I would love to read the story of this massive life change, am I rude to be curious? And of course, I will worry about 'nature' and your liddle doggies!
    Take care, smile at the neighbours and unpack quickly.
    susan x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank Goodness! I've been wondering about you guys. It looks so beautiful. But ummm yeah, they're not like us. You'll get used it though. You'll learn their ways, and soon you'll fit right in. Next to Boston (cold and rude), Phoenix (in my experinece) is one of the most unfriendliest places I've ever been. Being from the south, you expect everybody to be like us, and its a shock when you find out they're not. We don't know strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you made it safely! Looks like a beautiful area to live in!! Can't wait to see more pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you've made it!!! SUCH a beautiful place!! Look forward to seeing more. Good luck with the satellite! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you made it safely to your new home. I hope you have a good time settling in. You know, I noticed the opposite when I moved to New Mexico from the northeastern US, where I'd always lived. People here were much friendlier and willing to chat, which is different from what I was used to. As a chatty person, I like this, and feel much more at home here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woohoo.. you made it and it's pretty there! You'll make friends with those people, don't worry. I love your views and the river there! I'm just so happy for you. We're in Osage Beach, MO. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is beautiful and you sound so happy. So glad the move is finished for you, unpacking is more fun than packing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous views from your new home - wow! Happy to hear that you have made the safe journey and are getting unpacked.

    Have you considered using your internet service to steam Hulu plus and Netflix through your TV (we use a Roku box to do this) - haven't had cable in over 2 years and honestly don't miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As everyone has commented Pammy Sue...wonderful,wonderful scenery. Fancy seeing that marvelous mountain side from your window...incredible
    A truly beautiful place.

    Give the townsfolk time they'll warm to you eventually. I remember when I moved here to Spain ..... I wanted to go home....I just had to give it time.
    So looking forward to seeing more of your new home and town.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous1:55 PM

    hi pammy sue...so good to learn you and yours have made it safely to your new home...beautiful views are now yours to enjoy...the settling-in stage can be a bit rough...but those who do not who do not warm to your honest and loving character will surely be at a loss...hope the puppies have now settled and are enjoying their new home...thank you for sharing...take care...sally

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to see you made the journey safely and are back online! Looking forward to seeing more of your new surroundings, as you settle in. The river and mountains are so picturesque!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's great to hear from you, have wondered how you are getting on. What an amazing place you have settled in. Look forward to seeing more photos when you have the time. It does take a while to settle into new places, you will get there though. When we moved to Picton at the head of the Marlborough Sounds top of the South Island N.Z.we found some people very unfriendly and not helpful because we were not true "Marlburians". Didn't worry us, we had a very happy life there. Have since come back to the middle of the North Island and wish we were still down South. Take care. Are you both keen on fishing?. Shirley N.Z.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow that place looks amazing and so peaceful and beautiful. I hope you post more pictures.
    And pictures of food too :P

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gosh I wish I could have stowed away in your suitcase. Since I'm from Canada the scenery around there is like home to me. Have a great time settling in. I look forward to hearing more about your moving adventure.
    By the way your hair looks so cute in a braid. Can't wait for mine to get a little longer so I can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so, so excited for you I almost can't stand it!!!!! Hooray for your wonderful new home in that gorgeous area. I am JEALOUS!!!!! With a capital J and every other letter. That view is amazing, the Columbia River right down the block, oh my!!!! Congrats to you.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  21. Welcome home! Beautiful scenery! Can't wait for more updates.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great adventure! The scenery is beautiful. I look forward to reading more about your new life. I grew up in a small town and they still have a noon whistle. I think small towns are great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am still so excited for you!!! You are living the dream!!!! Can't wait to hear and see more! I have missed our texts the past couple days, but I know you are setting up your beautiful new home!
    Love
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  24. Welcome to your new home Pammy Sue, it looks amazing, I hope that you will be very happy there. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful scene...I am sure we will be seeing some really gorgeous pics of your new surroundings...congrats

    ReplyDelete
  26. Welcome Home, Pammy Sue!!! I'm glad you arrived safely. The views around you are stunning and it is fun to think we share nearby views of the Columbia River...even though miles apart. Happy settling in! xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. So glad to hear that you arrived safely and soundly and that you are busy settling in. It certainly is incredibly beautiful! Hope you get to go out and enjoy it soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. So happy for you Pam. It is beautiful. We have about 4 more years until our retirement move. We're heading to warm weather though. Enjoy your new home--you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥