Friday, April 24, 2015

Chocolate Donuts & That Book

Two very good things, indeed.

I meant to link to the recipe for those donuts the day I posted about them and forgot. Then I meant to post it yesterday, but I was just so busy being silly with that post, I plumb forgot.

You can find the recipe here:  Baked Chocolate Donuts

I followed the recipe exactly and got 12 donuts with very little batter left over...maybe a Tbsp. I didn't want to overfill the pan because they don't look as pretty if you do. The trick of putting the batter in a gallon-size plastic bag and snipping the corner worked perfectly for this with no mess. These are not very sweet at all, which I liked. If you want something sweeter, I'd suggest frosting them with chocolate frosting instead of the glaze. Melt some chocolate chips in the microwave and smear it over the cooled donuts while it's hot. Mmm!


Now listen here.
Hear Ye, Hear Ye!

This book is SO GOOD. I stayed up until 2:00 a.m. reading it.


Here is the cover again.
I got the Kindle version for $1.99 on BookBub.

The book goes back and forth in time from mid-1940s Nazi Germany to current times (2007). I mostly loved the Germany parts, but the current parts were good too, just not AS good. I can't believe my luck lately with getting such good books to read. This one was not recommended by anyone. I just happened to see it in my daily email from Bookbub and thought it sounded good. I usually only get the free ones, but I splurged and plunked down a whole $1.99 for this one. Money well-spent!

The narrative uses a lot of German words, but you get used to it after a while and understand the meaning of them. A lot of them I already knew somehow, but others you get by context.

My only bitch is this, and it's a stupid, stupid thing:  All the titles of the chapters are written vertically on the page without proper spaces between the words. It was highly annoying to me, and there was absolutely no reason for it except somebody trying to be all artsy-fartsy. You'll see. It will annoy the crap out of you, I promise! After the first few chapters, I just read the bottom of the title to see the date the chapter is set in. Seriously. I need to write somebody a ranting letter about how stupid and irritating it was. Maybe you won't even notice it, but for some reason, I focused on it and muttered cuss words to myself like a crotchety old hag at the beginning of each chapter.

Let me just show you.
Here is a screenshot of the beginning of a chapter...


See? Sometimes it's just one letter per line all the way down the page. WTF? Obviously this is bothering me WAY too much. I need to move on, but I really don't get it, and it's causing me to obsess about it.

It's a rainy day here again. It's supposed to be stormy later too. Yay!

It's put me in the mood to bake. I'm going to roast a turkey breast later for dinner, but I think I'll start some bread to rising too. That sounds good. And maybe I'll make some deviled eggs. Mmm. I think I might be hungry.

I'm still not crocheting or knitting anything. I may pick up the hexies later this afternoon and make more of those. I'm waiting for a couple of knitting books to come in the mail. Maybe one will come today. I don't even remember what they are now. One of them has a sock pattern I want, but that's all I can remember. Sigh.

I was just going to sit down and make a short entry. Now I've let my coffee get cold. I'll have to reheat it in the microwave. I hate that.

I'm out. See ya.

12 comments:

  1. I just printed that recipe out...thanks for the link. I don't think I would like that kind of chapter heading either. Let me re-word that. I know I don't like it. I would have a hard time figuring out what it said and that kind of thing irritates me. But, do you think anyone really cares what I want? Nope and nope. :-) We can be irritated together Pammy Sue.

    I've been hopscotching around with my knitting and crochet. I did make 8 baby hats on the cruise and a few rows here and there on different things since I got home but nothing really accomplished.

    To the lake tonight. Yippee! I haven't seen my Hubby hardly at all since I got home. Too many late meeting for work. I happens once a year and I don't like it.

    Blessings my friend,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book sounds really good, I'll have to see if my library has it. The titles would annoy me too, it does seem like a strange way to do it. I'm thinking about making some hexagons this afternoon too. We can be hexagon sisters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book has a formatting problem for an ebook. You need to report it so they can edit to correct it.

    Thank You for the donut recipe, sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love spring storms. Just rain here today. About to start a new pair of mittens!
    Reading Teresa Caputos book ...very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since finishing Girl on the Train I have not started anything new so this looks great. I also have not started a new project with yarn, but I am ready just have to figure out the correct hook size.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. WTF? That title thing would have annoyed me too! I'm still reading the Outlander series. Thanks for the chocolate donut recipe. Cold and rainy here today so no yard sales! Bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those donuts do look good, I have never baked a donut probably because I know that I will eat them all in one go. I'm glad that you enjoyed your book but I have to say that title thing would really annoy me too! Hope you're enjoying your weekend. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That books sounds like one I would really love! I will have to get it! And now, I want a chocolate donut!!!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay.. I got that book on my iPad after reading your post and I was hooked from the first page. It's my birthday today and it was my first present.. to myself. We're going to go adventuring soon - it's sunny here! We're right on the ocean.. it's gorgeous and I just took a photo of a pretty kite someone was flying and a whole pod of seals in the ocean.. with their flippers in the air.. the oddest photo! I'm going to crochet on my Lucy bag.. handle #2. Have a fun day baking. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you have perfect weather for curling up with a good book. I think I might do that too after I finish my breakfast. I'm a big ho-hum with my crochet/knitting too at the moment - can't seem to really get into it. Enjoy your Sunday. xox1736

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! Okay, that would get on my nerves, too. But, I am excited to hear that it was good enough to keep you reading until 2AM. Sounds like a winner. LOVE your roses, Pammy Sue. They are just so darn beautiful!! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tip about the book! I went thru a phase this winter reading several WWII time frame books. Our local library network is wonderful! thanks to our library, I seldom buy books. -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥