Sunday, April 05, 2015

Book and Cardamom Bread

Really, really, really good book! I finished it.
I'm on a roll with good books.
I hope they keep coming.
I'm going to start The Bell Jar next.


Have you ever bought cardamom?

I needed it for a recipe I wanted to make and the Cap went to the store for me. When he returned with the few items we needed, he told me to guess how much the cardamom was...1.75 ounces. I was shocked to learn he paid $12.44 for this at Wal-Mart! Egad!

I had seen someone's old picture on Instagram of Swedish Coffee Bread, or Cardamom Bread, and I wanted to make it. I've never tasted cardamom before and was curious. At 54 years old, it's time I tasted it! So...



I spread both loaves with an egg wash before baking.


I sprinkled sugar on one before I baked it.
I left the other one plain.

I like the sugary one best, and the Cap likes the other better.

At first I couldn't really identify the cardamom in it. While the bread was warm, it was barely detectable. I like it. The taste is slightly stronger now that it's cool, or maybe it's just because I know what I'm tasting for. I may have baked mine 4 or 5 minutes too long, but it's still GREAT. Next time I'll cut the time down to 25 minutes. I will be making it again.

I used this recipe:  Cardamom Braids

*************************

I bought the shirt I posted about yesterday here:  Rue 21

I've recently started using Instagram. I know I'm years behind! When I was getting signed up and set up, I think I accidentally sent invites to my whole address book. Oops. I didn't mean to do that. But if you're on Instagram, please look me up and Follow me if you'd like, and I'll follow you back. I need more pictures to look at because I don't currently waste enough time looking through Flickr, Pinterest, Blogs, etc. LOL.

I've gotta run. Hubby is waiting for me.

See ya.

17 comments:

  1. That bread looks divine! Did you have to knead it and all? You did a great job of braiding it! I like the shiny one. I bet it's good with butter! I might have to get that book on my iPad for my airplane flight. We're having a GREAT Easter. LOL! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ❀.•❤•.✿.•❤ Happy Easter! ❀.•❤•.✿.•❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never bought cardamom before and now that you've told me how much it costs, I probably won't! Ha! The bread is absolutely beautiful though. I can almost smell it. I hope you're having a lovely Resurrection Day.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that spice is very expensive. I do like the taste. Yours are just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man that bread looks good. My oven is still broken (getting a new one) and had to put the Easter ham in the crock pot. I want to make some bread before the weather gets too hot.
    Try sprinkling a little cardamom in your hot chocolate, it's yummy.
    I read the Woman in White. Good book, but had to make myself stick with it. Hope you had a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm.... That bread looks amazing! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am still behind you as I am not on Instagram, I am going to download that book now. I have had a run of not so good books, I need a good one.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you enjoyed The Girl on the Train, you'll also love a book I finished today called The Good Girl by Mary Kubica. I spent the whole day in bed reading it as I have to return it to the library tomorrow. A real page-turner and hard to put down. That bread of yours looks wonderful - you're quite a talented lady aren't you? I can't get my head around Instagram - have tried a couple of times but gave up when it got too hard !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love homemade bread but have never tried cardoman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I am stunned. Cardemum is a "normal" spice in Norway. I use it in applecake, in waffles and every time i make a sweet dough. I use about a tablespoon of it when I make waffles..
    Enjoy it! In northern Africa it is common in meet dishes as well.
    Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my gravy! the bread looks awsome! I like Rue21 also. They have cute stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The bread looks delicious! I use cardamom from time to time, in cookies, even in my oatmeal porridge. For some reason, it is one of the most expensive spices in the shop.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. That bread looks yummy Pammy Sue, see you on instagram although I don't use it that much. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm 58 and I STILL haven't tried cardamom... I just can't take that sticker shock! LOL! But, this bread looks good enough to almost make me suck it up and pay out. LOL! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks bunches for the shirt link... so many neat things there. I can honestly say I don't think I have every had cardamon either... might have to put it on the bucket list..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Must try this bread! Looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cardamom is delicious! I have an Orange Cardamom Cookie Recipe that I make during the Christmas season that makes paying the outrageous price totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥