Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Mostly Baking





Blueberry-Lemon Buttermilk Cake

I got this recipe from Kris over at Simplify. She got it from another blogger friend and happily shared it with me when I asked her for it and told me I could post it. She sent me a photo of hers while she ate it out on her back porch, which is exactly what I intend to do in about an hour from now. It turned out so pretty! I can't wait to have a piece.


Blueberry-Lemon Buttermilk Cake 
Shared by Kris Grover
                             
2 sticks butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar, plus 2 Tbsp for top
1 room temperature egg
1-2 tsp vanilla
Zest of 2 lemons
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups blueberries

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.  Blend butter, 3/4 cup sugar, egg, and vanilla until fluffy.  Zest lemons and add to creamed mixture.  Mix 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt.  Add 3/4 cup buttermilk and flour mixture a little at a time to creamed mixture, alternating.  Add two cups washed and dried blueberries in a shallow bowl with 2 Tbsp flour.  Gently fold into batter.  Spread into a pan (smaller than 9 x 13 if you have it).  Sprinkle with reserved sugar.  Bake at 350 degrees F. for 35 minutes.  Check center with toothpick for doneness.

My Notes:  I baked mine in a glass, deep-dish pie plate, so I turned the temp down to 335 degrees F. and baked for 45 minutes, checking with a toothpick for doneness starting at 35 minutes.



I found a whole bunch of these blocks at an antique store the other day and bought a bunch. I changed my header picture and used some, but I know I can do better. I made that on a day when I wasn't feeling so hot and just hurriedly put something together. I should have waited until I could do a better job, but you know me, I'm impatient when I have something in my head I want to do. Hopefully I'll get more creative later and make a better one. Or maybe not. I'm not so gung-ho on it as I was, but they are kind of fun.

Anywho...so bread...




I made this bread late yesterday afternoon so we could have it with dinner. The rolls didn't turn out so great. The recipe called for "instant yeast," but all I had was the regular kind. I think that made a difference in how these rose and baked up. Duh. I got some yeast that said "instant" on the package today, so maybe I'll try again and they'll be worthy of sharing the recipe.

This was our dinner last night along with green beans.


The Spicy Shake & Bake Chicken Tenders turned out great, and they were indeed done in 20 minutes. The mac & cheese was just okay. Regular flavor would have been better.

The yard is bursting with flowers from the bulbs we planted.


For some reason our hyacinths grew very close to the ground and have stubby little stalks. Maybe the snow that came after they started to grow stunted them. I just made that up. I have no idea why they're so stubby! They're still pretty and very fragrant. The yellow daffs are so pretty and have lasted several days in this vase already.

No crochet to share because I haven't done any. That's all for now. See ya.


15 comments:

  1. That cake looks delish! I should show that to my DIL as the youngest asked for blueberry cake for his birthday. Your rolls look good to me! I should try that with chicken tenders as we got a huge bag of them from Costco a while back. Well, of to swim I go.. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Lord! That cake looks soooo good! Wish we could have shared it with coffee and chatter one day.
    Remember my link up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pammy Sue!

    I haven't forgotten about you, you know!!!

    Loved reading your post, it made my mouth water....

    that cake looks yummy indeed!

    Hope things are good for you,
    hugs!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that cake looks yummy!!! I'll add it to my someday bake pile. Love the new header; there's just something cool about old wooden blocks. Your flowers looks great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cake looks really good. I love blueberries. We still don't have any flowers yet, but it did get warmer today, which was a pleasant surprise. I like your new header with the blocks, looks great. Have a nice evening, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Pammy Sue, I like your new header just as it is, and that cake. Oh. My! IT looks wonderfully good too. As do the rolls and the chicken tenders. I'm not as keen on boxed mac and cheese as I used to be when the kids were little, but if you're going to eat boxed, Kraft it is for sure! :-) Tomorrow I'll be baking the one hour cinnamon rolls and banana bread. Today got away from me completely and now it's almost time for supper. Craziness around here today.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cake looks wonderful. We love it here!!!
    You're flowers are so pretty! I love hyacinths!!
    Glad you liked the cake.
    Hugs Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, yum and yum!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Love the way the cake looks. I'll have to try it but.... after your review.
    Too bad your bread rolls didn't turn out great. Have you tried the Texas Roadhouse Rolls? http://www.eatcakefordinner.net/2011/04/texas-roadhouse-rolls-copycat-recipe.html
    OMG! So good. I cut the recipe in half for the 2 of us. They turn out perfect and I use a bread machine to make the dough then bake in my regular oven. Love the Cinnamon Honey Butter recipe too. Can't wait to see your next crochet project. Enjoy!
    Reni in AZ

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE lemon and blueberry! Thanks for sharing this recipe, Pammy Sue. I think I'd love to eat at your house every night! ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your new header - reckon you should keep it. How on earth did you take that photo with the mixer in it? Were you on the ceiling LOL. Your hyacinths look lovely - I almost bought some from Woolworths last week but they were small so I left them. Glad I did because I thought about them all this week, went back to buy a pot yesterday and they were all shrivelled up and had no fragrance at all. Dead I'd say !! I haven't been doing much crochet lately either. Not sure if I'm just plain lazy or overwhelmed by all my UFOs. xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your new header! Cake looks good! I wish my husband would eat more chicken! I like trying new recipes but the hubby and grandsons are hard to please!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the yummy recipe! And applause for your new header. I really like it, pretty little blocks :-). Greetings, Nata

    ReplyDelete
  14. The lemon butter milk cake looks great going to try it soon...hoping all is well Happy Monday with love Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥