Thursday, March 19, 2015

Leave Me Alone. I'm Reading.

It's one of those dark days in my house with lamps lit and a light rain falling outside. I can hardly stand it that it's so perfectly my kind of day AGAIN! And I happen to have one of the best things to do with it...

Oh, it's good. I love that the copy I bought is old and used and tattered with dog ears all through it. It feels old in my hands, and I keep wondering how many people have read this particular copy. I came across one part in the book where someone had drawn a circle around a paragraph in pencil, and I wondered why. Now it's in my hands here in Texas. As my tears fell on the pages last night at just after 1:00 in the morning, I looked to see if I could see anyone else's tear stains on the page. No. They must have wiped them away before the salty-wet could leave their mark. I left mine. I'm keeping this book forever.

Maybe, when I've gone on to Glory and whatever is beyond that, the stranger who cleans out my belongings will find it. Instead of throwing it in the dumpster with my old granny underwear and eye glasses, they'll read it and wonder about the old lady who owned it and if she was the one who left the pencil marks and tear stains. I'm going to leave a handwritten note in it and maybe a dollar bill between some pages. I love finding things in old books, don't you?

It's perfect, I tell you! So perfect that I'm dawdling about reading it for too long at once...except for last night when I stayed up past 2:00 in the morning reading. Thankfully, it's a long book. I'm afraid for it to be over. Then I'll have to come out of my book fog, my make-believe world, and back to my real one. I'm trying to savor it.



I put another dish of bird seed out on the porch. It's under the cover of the porch roof so the rain won't get in it and wash it away. The birds are loving it. I saw several different species yesterday coming in for a snack. They were singing and whistling and making a lot of racket for little birds. I think it's because they were happy to have a big dish of food and they didn't have to scrounge in the rain for something to eat.


 A pair of doves have been out there all morning.

You know what's good on days like this?

Hot Chunky Soup over a bowl of rice.
I jazz it up a little sometimes with a shake of dried oregano.
Always plenty of black pepper, and a little garlic and onion powder.
So quick & easy. More time to read.
So warm in your tummy.

Here is that Cheese & Onion Bread I made a couple of days ago.
It is so good sliced and toasted with a little schmear of butter.
I'll be making this recipe again.
See my last post for the recipe link.


See ya.

25 comments:

  1. Wow that was powerful! I understand the feelings you are having! Teary eyes here too. That is exactly what I am having for late lunch. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good book. I haven't heard of that one before, but will have to check it out. Hope you are doing well. Miss all your posts. Take care, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to know you feel this way about that book. I really can't even express how much I love it. My copy was a schoolbook, with a new hardcover binding put on before it was given to me. I've had it for over 25 years and it has stains and smudges and even some paint on it. I should replace it but I like it this way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want that cheese bread..it really looks fantastic. I used to love to get swept up in a good book, but lately I don't like the emotion. Weird huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay....now I'm gonna have to get and read this book!! ^_^ It's always been a favorite old movie of mine, but I never read the book! I've been looking for one to read too, so thank you!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I have never heard of that book but I think I need to find a copy if it has that much emotion behind it. I do that with books too. I get so engrossed in them that I don't want to return to the "real" world.
    The clouds are returning here this afternoon too and I think we'll have some rain tomorrow. That's fine because we need it SO badly. They are predicting dust storms this summer and that the residents here in Eastern WA should have dust masks with them at all time through out the summer fire season. Kind of scary. So bring on the rain!

    I went out to the lake this morning and puttered around a bit in our trailer. It was good and I can't wait to be there regularly again.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm all choked up just reading your post !! Haven't read that book but must keep it in mind for when I've finished my half dozen library books that are all due back in about a week, plus the zillion kindle books I have and keep adding to but never get around to reading !! Soup and cheesy bread sounds good to me - hope you thoroughly enjoyed it. xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard of that book but don't know or remember the story line. I might have to get that on my iPad -- but it sounds like something that needs to be in a real old book. I am a big fan of Chunky soups.. my favorite is the Clam Chowder and the Classic Chicken Noodle. Enjoy your rain, we're in for it for 3 days too. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A good book sometimes is all we need. Have fun my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post Pammy! I enjoyed it. It's been forever since I have lost myself in a good book. My small collection of favorite novels sit on my dusty shelf waiting to be revisited. They are like old friends. I refuse to part with them. Enjoy your weekend, penny x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also like to think about who read a copy before me - especially when there are writing marks in it.

    Take care
    Anne (Crochet Between Worlds)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have totally made me want to read that book!! Enjoy your days... ;) I'm a little bummed that when all this rain ends it is just going to be sweltering heat... we will have MISSED our tiny window of perfect weather. Ha! Well, I will have missed it, you will have enjoyed every rainy day. =) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book is def going on my 'To read' list, just on your sayso.

    Try 'Life After Life' by Kate Atkinson - wowwww! I'm about 2/3 the way through and LoViNg It!!!

    Can I have some cheesy bread toast, please, with enough butter on to leave teethmarks? huh? huh?
    kisses
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I, too, love old books! This title will be added to my reading list! What a great quote! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you mind if I swipe that quote? I don't want to use it without permission, of course! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  16. Go ahead and "swipe" it, Marci. I got it off of a google search!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Go ahead and "swipe" it, Marci. I got it off of a google search!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw the old B&W movie version a long time ago, and as I recall, liked it very much. I never read the book, but as we all know, the books are always better than the movies. I think I might have to pick this one up. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like rainy, gloomy days also! I haven't read this book but will be looking for it at yard sales. I'm currently reading the "Outlander" series. You would love them too. I tried the Jambalaya soup but it was too spicy for me. What a disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love sunny days, but the gray rainy days are awesome, too. I love to curl up with my knitting and just enjoy the soft sounds that only rain can make. It's kind of a zen moment. All is hush and quiet, except for the soft patter of rain. Love it. Oh I love books. There is nothing better than getting emotionally involved in a book until the point that once you read the last word and see that period at the end...you all of a sudden feel sorrow because you want the book to keep going. I so understand. :) Good writing does that to you...it reaches inside you and grabs you by the heart and won't let you go until there are tears flowing down your face! Ahhh the wonderful, power of words. Ok, now what have you been knitting lately? :) Wishing you another rainy wonderful day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your blog! Especially enjoy it since I just moved to North Tx. (Flo. Mo.)about a year ago.Have you read I Capture the Castle? Read it some years ago about the time I read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.Another great coming of age story. I have an old crinkled dollar bill stuck in my worn copy of the Magic of Ordinary Days. Someday, someone will find it too. Please let me know if where the good yarn shops are--they seem to be too few and far between here in DFWland.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do love bird watching and food ha ha great post once again!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's great to get into a good book I know just how you are feeling, it was the only thing that kept me going when I lived in Syria, they had an American library there and I think I read every book on their book shelves. I'm gonna look this one up! have a great weekend Pammy sue. :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. There is nothing as good as being lost in a good book. I just finished The Silkworm and I was riveted, not the type of book I usually read but I loved it. Rain, darkness, tea and a good book, sounds like my perfect kind of day.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the tip! I've put that book on my amazon list now :-). The graphic about finished books is great! - Many thanks for your sweet comment on my charity goods. It always cuts me to the quick when I see how some people have to suffer and when I can help a little by knitting, that's a wonderful feeling. Oh and don't worry about knitting, practice comes quickly!!
    Hugs, Nata

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥