Thursday, March 26, 2015

Blueberry Review and Quiche


The Blueberry-Lemon Buttermilk Cake was really, really, really good!  I thought I should give you a couple more notes on it in case you make it.  It's more of a coffee cake than a cake-cake.  It's not very sweet at all. If you want something a little sweeter, I'd add a powdered sugar & milk or powdered sugar and lemon juice glaze to it. Also, I only added the peel of one lemon and it was pretty strong. I can't imagine using the peel of two lemons, but Kris said she liked it so what do I know? I thought it was even better this morning at room temperature with my coffee. Yesterday it was still warm.

This one is definitely goes in my keeper file. I have a feeling it'll be one I refer to often. Thank you, Kris!


And then I got all fancy-for-my-pants and made a quiche for dinner last night. Quiche seems fancy to me, even though it's really not. It was easy and we ate the WHOLE PIE for dinner. Mind you, we didn't eat the side crusts and didn't have anything else to eat with it, but still. We ate the whole pie. Oink-oink! The Captain has asked me to make it again tonight. I will oblige because I have another pie crust and enough of the other ingredients I bought for it leftover.


I used a Pillsbury All-Ready Pie Crust, which you can find in a box of two in the biscuit section of the grocery store (at least here in the U.S.). I just slapped it in the pie plate and scrunched it a little on the sides. I didn't try to get all fancy and make it pretty. I was going for more rustic, aka, lazy.

I used this guide for quiche which I got off of Posie Gets Cozy's blog. I'm always trying her recipes because she makes some good stuff:  Here's the link to the guide:   A Quiche Formula by Mollie Katzen

My ingredients for the filling were:

Swiss & Sharp Cheddar Cheese (1/2 cup each?)
Paper-thin Sliced Onion (1/4 cup or less)
Chopped button mushrooms (1/2 of a carton)
Chopped Spinach (1/2 of a 10-oz. pkg, the frozen kind, thawed)
Real Bacon Pieces Sprinkled on Top (Hormel in a bag from the salad dressing section of the store)
Salt, black pepper, dried parsley, dried basil 

Then I poured the custard filling over all (1 cup of 1% milk and 3 beaten eggs).
I baked it 43 minutes at 350 degrees F, and it was damn-near perfect.

****************

I'm very tired lately. You'd think that cortisone would have kicked-in and I'd be all energetic and chipper, but not so much. I just want to lay down. I felt it taking effect yesterday. I had a fever in my upper-left arm all day, and the right one (the one I had the injections in) was ice cold. It was really weird and stayed that way all day. It's back to normal today. I don't feel any difference yet in the shoulder, but it's only been three days. Steroids are weird....so are hormones. They do weird things to people.

See ya.

13 comments:

  1. I love your blocks in the header! Really cute. Thanks for the great recipes and the time you take to let us know what works and what doesn't. I'm praying for you (long distance) on the shoulder. Have a restful blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum on the quiche I may try it!
    The coffee cake is a must make.
    I'm saying a prayer for you to feel much, much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to try making a quiche as I really do like them.. yours looks yummo. And the lemon bread looks delish, too! We're having a gorgeous day and I think we might go look at wildflowers in the gorge. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pammy Sue, My blog was a cooking one today too! That quiche looks absolutely yummy and so does the cake. Maybe I'll be trying the quiche soon. :-). I hope you're feeling better soon. I'm So sorry you're so sore.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. you said it sister about the steroids. I had to take them for several weeks due to a really bad RA flare, and one morning I got up and the whites of both my eyes were blood-red, like Twilight blood-red. I drove really fast to the eye doctor and found out it was the steroids and it would go away. Took a couple of days, but it did go away.

    I *heart* quiche!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That quiche looks yummy! Glad it was a hit. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both look so delicious!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your new header Pammy Sue it looks so effective! I have been looking back on your past posts I missed the last two, sometimes I read them but don't have time to post a comment, I hope your shoulder is feeling better now and the injection has kicked in. I always have problems with my left shoulder and it gets worse the longer I sit at my laptop. I like the look of the blueberry cake if I have the time this weekend I will try it and the quiche looks yummy too I love spinach in anything savoury. Have a great weekend. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you are feeling better this morning, Pammy Sue. It sucks to feel bad. Thank you for reminding me how much I love quiche. I remember when I was in my 20s (yes, a long time ago) and learned about quiche... I felt all fancypants, too, and made them every week! Ha! They are so good! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh, that quiche looks/sounds awfully good!! Thanks for the recipe :-), Sunny weekend greetings, Nata

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm making hamburgers tonight, but now I want quiche. I haven't made one in a long time, but there always has to be cheese in it ...oooh yum.
    I also like blueberry anything and I'm pinning this recipe.
    You and Kris always have tasty dishes on your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh boy. I want that coffee cake and that quiche.
    Can't have either so I'll live vicariously through you

    Sorry you are hurting! That's the worst. I saw steroids do such amazing things to sick babies....it was miraculous until we found out the side effects..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope that by now you are feeling the benefit of the injection. We love quiche here too, delicious isn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥