Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Crochet and Candy

 The poncho beginnings.

I don't think I'm going to add the other colors to this because I like it as it is. I don't want anything that's knock-your-eyeballs-out bright because I'll never wear it. This I will wear. I'll be adding in more of the gray color of the color in the striped part too. These pictures are a little too dark because it was cloudy yesterday when I took them.


Working on the poncho yesterday, the Cap was taking pictures.


The Captain says this is the best fudge he's ever had. It has a smooth texture. The cherry flavor is very mild, which surprised me. I'd add the whole 5-oz bag of dried cherries next time (there wasn't that many left in the bag anyway). I used white chocolate chips and Ghirardelli 60% Cocoa Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips.

Cherry Fudge with Dark Chocolate

2 1/2 cups White Chocolate
7 oz. jar Marshmallow Cream
3/4 cup Butter ( 1 1/2 sticks)
1 cup Sugar
3/4 cup Heavy Cream
Pinch of Salt
1 Tbsp Cherry Flavored Gelatin Powder (Jello)
1/2 cup Dried Cherries
10 oz. Dark Chocolate, melted

1.  Line a 9" x 9" pan with foil, leaving some hanging over edges for easy removal later. Spray with cooking spray (like Pam).

2.  In a large saucepan, melt butter with sugar, cream, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat. Add cherry Jello powder, mix, and boil for 5 minutes; remove from heat.

3.  Place white chocolate chips and marshmallow cream in a large bowl. Pour cooked mixture over all and mix well with a wooden spoon. At this point, my butter started separating after a bit, but it didn't affect the way the fudge turned out. Just mix as well as you can until the chips are melted. Work quickly as the mixture will start to set up. Pour mixture into your prepared pan and spread evenly. I used a paper towel to soak up any butter that separated and was pooling on top.

4.  Melt dark chocolate in the microwave until smooth and pourable. Pour over cherry fudge mixture evenly. Refrigerate at least 4 hours.

Recipe Source:  Shugary Sweets

The Captain made some crockpot chili, mostly to freeze in individual containers to take to work. We did sample it, and then we had some over omelets for breakfast. Yum!




I don't want to work on the poncho during the evenings when I'm in bed, so I started this doily last night while I accidentally watched three Kardashian shows in a row. That was just the channel my TV happened to be on when I turned it on, and I just never changed it. I'd work on this a while, read my Star Magazine a while, work on the doily a little more, eat some chips and have some tea, work on the doily some more, etc. This is as far as I got. The main body is an ecru or cream color. I think I'm going to love this one.

I think we might have Paperwhite blooms tomorrow.
TWO of them!

17 comments:

  1. So many nice things here today.
    The fudge looks jummy and the doily just too sweet.
    And the XL yarn... sigh I love the poncho!
    Have a nice evening

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great poncho! The neck is different, haven't seen one with that kind of neck before. The colors are beautiful.

    The doily flower is so pretty.

    Candy and chili look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bought the red for the doily, but now I want to make the poncho!! I agree on keeping the colors as they are. I will definitely wear this if my crochet skills can reach yours. (someday) hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, LOVE the poncho so far and your color choices! What pattern are you using? I think you posted it, but I am too lazy to go look :-)

    Love the doily too and the fudge looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty doily it's going to be with the lovely flower at the centre. You look nice and cosy sitting there Pammy Sue working on your poncho, the colours do look good together. The fudge looks yummy I do love a bit of fudge. :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your poncho is coming along beautifully, neat design. I like the cowl moving into the granny. BTW, your hair looks really pretty in the french braid. Fudge sounds good too; kind of like a cherry cordial. We have a local ice cream company here that makes Homemade Brand ice cream and they have a cherry cordial flavor that is really good. Take care, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. The doily looks very feminine but I love, love, love the poncho colors. Don't know why but I have suddenly fallen in love with muted colors and even white which was never me.
    See your hair has grown out again too...very purty. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pam.. that poncho is looking exquisite so far! I bet you are going to love wearing it. We *love* chocolate covered cherries.. so I bet we'd love that fudge. I already love the doily you've started! I have to get cracking to make some gifts! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm already loving the poncho. It's taking shape and it looks great. Gray is always a good color choice as it goes with everything. The fudge looks heavenly too.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  10. May I just say I LOVE this post? The poncho is perfect. The fudge looks amazing and I think I need to make some. The new doily is so pretty and ... I love your hair!
    Blessings my friend,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eye Candy post all around. This poncho is coming out just lovely, I like the colors, soft and muted. You put you hair up like that? How? It is so pretty. I don't have a thing on the hook, I got rather bored with the hat I made 2 and I'm not sure I like the colors or something..so I may be looking for something new. This might be it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving the poncho! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The poncho's looking great so far. The colors are very soothing. Love the pics the Captain took :-) I'm not a fan of cherries but the fudge looks yummy. But I am a fan of your doilies, and that one's looking terrific. Love the purple and green together. It's been gray here, too, so lousy picture taking light.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am loving the neck on your poncho , it looks wonderful. Such delicious recipes thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the new doily and the poncho, and your hair looks amazing!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the colors. And I agree with you, bright rainbow colors are nice, but you can always have too much of a good thing. I've seen the inside of some crafters living rooms and it looks like somebody threw up Skittles all over the place. Not my style. Good work, can't wait to see the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The poncho is looking great. Looking forward to seeing the doily, too.

    Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥