Saturday, October 11, 2014

Rain, Cool Weather, and Molasses Creams


We got some rain with more on the way.
It's been holding steady at 64 degrees since I got up.
Oh, it's so nice to have a break from that heat!

It put me right in the mood for some fall baking.
Rainy days and baking go together.



Molasses Cream Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup hot water
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp instant coffee granules or powder
1 tsp cinnamon

Thoroughly cream shortening and sugar; add egg and molasses and mix well. Add hot water and mix it in. Sift dry ingredients together and add to wet mixture combining well. Pour into a greased 9" x 13" pan and bake at 350 degrees for 22-25 min. Frost with cream cheese frosting. Refrigerate what you don't eat right away.

Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz. softened cream cheese
1/2 stick of butter or margarine
3 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
About 3 cups of powdered sugar

Cream the butter and cream cheese with your electric mixer. Add milk and vanilla.  Add powdered sugar until it's the consistency for spreading over bars. 


I haven't done any crocheting yet, but I will tonight. I've been working today. I know, working on a weekend is a bummer. But I needed to because I was a slacker this week. So I was a responsible girl and did some work so now I feel free to do what I want. And what I want is some racing and some crochet and some good food, which is exactly what I'm doing this evening.

Right now I'm late for my 3:00 coffee and a sampling of those molasses creams!  See ya.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Pammy Sue,
    This dessert looks so good! It's a new one for me and I will have to try it. Like you I "worked" today. With our move in a couple months I am de-cluttering, cleaning, organizing and packing. The bathroom closets and cabinets are done. So glad to have that off my list. I finished crocheting my coasters for our Christmas Bunco but now I need to starch them. I haven't started a new project yet. It's been cool and rainy here too. Thanks for the recipe you always share such good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those bars look amazingly good. Our weather turned cool and rainy today too. It makes me want to curl up and crochet but that's not done much with Piper around. I did get to row 11 of the doily though. Yippee. I like how it's turning out.
    Blessings etsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It stayed right at 60 where I am. Yes, definitely a nice reprieve from the heat. I was in a baking mood yesterday so I made pumpkin bread. Thanks for the recipe. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look amazing! I want one!!!!
    Hooray for the rain! I wish we would get some. It is a hot weekend, but cooling next week. They say.
    We had a crazy busy day. Will blog tomorrow
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum .. I want one of those bars. Can't make my own because I don't know what some of the ingredients are !!! :(
    Hope you got all that work done so you can now concentrate on the next gorgeous doily. Ollie is looking good (as always). Are you making him a Christmas outfit? Our Quincy had one last year but I don't think it will fit him this year. He's a big boy now. xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this looks like a great fall recipe. The cream cheese frosting got my attention!
    We have 2 more days at 90 degrees, then some rain is on the way. I'm so sick of the heat. The air conditioner is still running!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are supposed to get a break in the heat this week, frankly I am sick of 90.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! I'm makin some of those for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That photo of Ollie is so sweet. I love it! My Handsome Husband is a complete NUT for anything with molasses! Thanks for the recipe! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥