Friday, September 05, 2014

A Little Peek-a-Boo




I caught myself twice on Friday standing in front of my yarn stash with armloads of yarn planning to start a Granny Blanket. Each time, I got my wits about me and told myself how dumb it was to start a new blanket when I had several unfinished ones around the house. So I'd put all the yarn back, skein by skein, pouting all the while.

And then I did it. I ran to my master closet, grabbed my footstool, and grabbed a big rubber box from way up high on a shelf. That box contained seven granny squares (8 rounds each) and all the skeins of yarn I had used to make them at least two years ago. I sat in my chair in front of the TV and made two more squares, crocheted all nine together, and the madness began. Crocheting round after round, picking colors, planning, scheming, thinking about the border WAY too far in advance, and crocheting some more. I also made a quick run to Hobby Lobby to make sure I had enough of the main color to finish the blanket and border. Oh what fun I've had! And there's much more to come. I'd say I'm still only at the half-way mark or so.

And all because I ran out of the Rowan Cotton Glace' to finish my table runner (I'm still waiting for it to arrive so I can finish it). In every disappointment, there's a big old wad of sunshine. You just have to figure out what it is.

Speaking of wads of sunshine...

We still have plenty around these parts of Texas.
So I washed an old afghan I made and hung it out to air-dry.

I've been using it at the end of the bed the last few weeks, and it was beginning to smell a little doggish. Okay, a LOT doggish. It's hard to believe when you look at those five sweet faces in my sidebar, that they could be so stinky, but shuewwee!

Y'all have a good weekend.
You know what I'll be doing!


12 comments:

  1. I'm loving all that color!!! =) blessings ~ tanna
    ps yep, we still have plenty of sunshine... love that photo of the afghan with the sun shining through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I like it!!! AND the one hanging out to dry. I'm working on Mandy'w Wallaby sweater. Amazing how long it takes compared to a toddler size! :-) I think I'm begging to hate it. I want to make a blanket. Or two. Or three. By Veteran's Day for the Veterans home. I don't think I'm going to get it done in time to make them though.

    I was my end of bed "doggie afghan" yesterday. Amazing how dirty they get so quickly when the dog itself has lots of baths!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful blanket with the sun shinning from behind it. Good for you picking up something you have already started and getting back with it. I need to do that myself, I have a shawl to finish, about 1,000 dishcloths and a crochet basket to get done. But now all I can think about is making a blanket and I Hate making blankets, what is wrong with me?
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a basket with things that need finishing..but I do have the thread eating tablecloth sitting by my hooking chair. And it is just glaring at me everytime I pick up a hook and start something new..I will get it done someday. Looking anxiously to see the finished blanket..as your color choices are always so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you are a tease !! Those colours look wonderful - especially like the blue and green together. Look forward to seeing the finished blanket. Fancy saying your furbabies stink !! What a hide. You'd better watch out or they might retaliate LOL xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. My. Goodness. The amazing colors in those top pictures just make me wanna see more! I've been working on my red silk/alpaca shawl.. it really is lush. Can't wait to see what you're doing!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have had a glorious day... The hope of things to come :)) love the doggy blanket.... hugs pat >>

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty colors for your new blanket and the one you have hanging to dry is gorgeous. I'm in a bit of a creative slump, it will come back (soon I hope). Take care, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think there's nothing more satisfying than making a granny blanket, playing with all those lovely colours and watching it grow, it's going to be lovely I can tell. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that "bed blanket" is so wunderful!! ♥ Also the new one you're working on will become great, I'm sure. Sometimes things lay around for years and all of a sudden you feel the urge of finishing them ;-). Your sentence about disappointment is so poetic, I really have to save it, thanks :D. Happy Sunday! Nata xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, love, love, love all those grannies! One of these days, I'm going to cave and make one. In the meantime, hubby's grandma gave me a whole bag of hers, so I guess my first foray into the world of grannnies will be assembling someone else's! Now to decide how to assemble...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love love the granny blanket you are making can't wait for the ta-dahs thanks for sharing all the great patterns !!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥