Wednesday, July 02, 2014

By Request

The Captain bugged me for three days to make this cake. I had strict instructions to make a chocolate sheet cake and white icing, which is weird -- the white part -- because he's such a chocolate lover through and through.  Anyway, here it is...

I used the Pioneer Woman's Chocolate Sheet Cake recipe because...

...it always turns out perfectly, like above.
Perfectly-done with no lumps or bumps in 20 minutes sharp.

I know, boring white, right?
I just wasn't that into it or I'd have decorated it somehow to make it more interesting. A sprinkle of cinnamon or cocoa would have been good.

Icing:
1 stick of soft, unsalted butter
About 3 to 3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
About 1/4 cup of milk or until you get the consistency you want
1 tsp vanilla extract



"This is exactly what I wanted," he exclaimed, as he happily walked off with his coffee and plate of cake.

My opinion:  It's better with the chocolate frosting, but if you need something to decorate, this is the perfect canvas for it.


I'm on the last outer rounds of the doily. I'm in love with it. I know it's going to be my favorite so far. I can tell just by how happy it makes me to work on it. Don't you love a project like that? I'm stupidly giddy when I look at it.

I'm off to go work on it for an hour or so before I try to figure out what I'm making for dinner. I just realized I never got dressed today. I'm still in my jammies and look a fright. Guess I'd better do something about that too.

See ya.

12 comments:

Home Meadows said...

The cake sounds really good, chocolate or butter cream icing is fine by me. :-) Looking forward to seeing your doily. Take care, Heather

Madtatter80 said...

What fun can never have too many cake recipes !

homeschooljewelrymom said...

The cake looks good; a little boring, but at least the Captain's happy :-) And as long as it tasted good...
Have fun with your doily. I look forward to seeing it done.
What's wrong with being in your jammies all day??

Kris said...

I tell you Pammy Sue...YOU are on a cooking spree! I have a chocolate sheet cake recipe that is also delicious.
The icing looks great!


xO kris

Teresa Kasner said...

Hey girl.. what a good wife you are to make your husbands heart's desire cake! I am looking forward to seeing your doily. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Patricia Lewis said...

I bet it tasted so darn good :))

linda said...

Cake is cake, decorated or not it still tastes good, looking forward to seeing your doily. :)

Dorothy said...

I don't think I've ever heard of a sheet cake before but it sure does look good. The closest I can think of would be what we call a brownie. My DD makes one occasionally for her DH's lunchbox and if she doesn't hide it, he has most of it eaten that same day. Actually, thinking about it, your sheet cake looks more like a cake than a brownie which has a sticky centre and isn't iced. xox

Melissa aka "Fiber MacGuyver" said...

oh.....yum. Try this on him, use the same sheet cake, but on the icing, add in a couple of spoons of cocoa and a dizzle of chocolate syrup, throw in a cup of chopped pecans, mix it up and slap it on that chocolate cake. I swear, he'l want to marry you all over again.

Mereknits said...

I love PJ days, have a great time finishing your project.
Hugs,
Meredith

Natas Nest said...

Mmmh, looks so yummy! Not every cake needs an elaborate decoration, sometimes the simplest is the best :-). Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

In Canada we call this recipe Texas cake.
Maybe because it is the biggest & the best.
It never lasted very long when the kids were home.