Saturday, June 28, 2014

Today I'm...

Working on...the doily.

Not very hard though. Mostly I'm just sitting in front of the computer wasting time. I have to make myself get up or I will get nothing accomplished. Where does the time go when you sit at the computer? It's like you get sucked into a giant black hole and time disappears and has no meaning.

Reading...the Richard Burton Diaries.
Sometimes interesting, sometimes not.

Eating...these are SO GOOD!

Feeling...neutral.
(Not my picture; swiped from Pinterest)
  
And a little nostalgic.
(Not my picture either)


1.  At around midnight last night I stood in the dark with just the light of the refrigerator to see. I was refilling my water cup with ice. I got a big scoop of ice, and there was a big lump of finely-crushed ice on the end. Do you know where this is going? LOL. I love finely-crushed ice. So I stuck the end of the ice scooper to my lips to get the crushed iced in my mouth, and the scooper immediately and painfully froze to my bottom lip. "Shitshitshitshitshit! Getitoffgetitoffgetitoff!" I said in my head while dancing around hoping it would hurry up and fall off. After it finally did come off, my bottom lip was instantly throbbing. I stood there laughing in the dark all by myself. How could I have not learned that lesson in 53 years? My lip still hurts.

2.  It's very HOT and 69% humidity outside at this very moment. Gross.

3.  I'm going to learn to tat. Next time I go to H.L., I'm buying a couple of shuttles. I watched a few video lessons on YouTube, and it looks easy enough, albeit a little fiddly because everything is so small. I'm sure it's not as easy as it looks until you get the hang of it. It's got to be better than knitting, which I hate by the way. I've finally decided that it's just a fact. I can do it, but I just don't like to. Simple as that.

4.  "I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them back together again and tell myself that the mended whole is as good as new. What is broken is broken, and I'd rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived." Margaret Mitchell

5. I would like to go to New York City one day and see the 9/11 Memorial and stand on Ground Zero. I hope I can do it without crying (sobbing even), but I don't think I could. I'd prefer to go alone, too, I think.

6. My daddy has severe food allergies. He is allergic to oatmeal, raisins, grapes, and walnuts. Kinda weird. I am only allergic to penicillin.

7. You know those crochet covered rocks? I saw one on Etsy for $60. It wasn't even big! It made me laugh because it was so ridiculous. She will probably sell it tomorrow and email me saying, "Now who's ridiculous, bitch?" LOL.

8. I'm gonna go take a nap with my dogs. See ya.

16 comments:

homeschooljewelrymom said...

Yeah, all I'm doing is wasting time on the computer this afternoon too. Beats having to clean the house!
I don't understand crocheted rocks. People actually sell them? Who would buy them?
I want to see the memorial, too, and yes, alone would be best because I'll bawl like a baby. I can't even watch the memorials on TV without crying.
Enjoy your nap :-)

susan said...

Oh, you do make me laugh.
And I really, really need that.
I wish you lived in my street.
Susan x
PS I wonder if I have enough spare hours to read your back posts? Yeah, 'course I have lol.

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

Oh the doily is looking interesting...I am looking forward to seeing it. I always love seeing your doilies.

I hate to knit, too. I can, and have, but it's not something I sit around and want to do, long to do....or even think about doing. Although, the knitted lace doilies always make me want to make them...until I start and those tiny stitches start falling off the double points...yep, crochet...that's the way to go...and cross stitch.

Looking forward to your tatting. There are so many lovely things you can do with tatting.

Wishing you a most lovely day. :)

Mereknits said...

Here I am wasting time on the computer, I have been on my blog, Pinterest and Ravelry. Just imagine how much knitting (which I love) or crocheting I could have done by now. Love the quote, and you make me laugh. Happy Weekend,
Meredith

Teresa Kasner said...

Where to start? I can't wait to see your current doily done. I can knit but prefer to crochet - it's easier to design your own things in crochet and making a mistake in knitting is AWFUL. Too bad you didn't have a video of your ice adventure. It's 63 outside here. :-D Good luck on the tatting.. it looks complicated to me! I want to go to NYC too! I saw the crocheted rocks on Etsy for up to $100! LOL!
((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Betsy said...

Oh my gosh! $60.00???? For a crocheted rock that took me about 1/2 an hour and 50 cents worth of yarn? I gotta get me an Etsy shop!

You make me laugh so hard Pammy Sue. I can just see the ice-capade. Get it? ice-capade?

Your doily is looking great. I've always wanted to learn tatting too, but it looks too hard for me. We need to get together and have some lessons. Meanwhile Vicki has me cross-stitching again for the first time in about 15 years. Seriously. What am I thinking? I have so many projects started.

Have a wonderful weekend my friend.
Blessings,
Betsy

Charlotte Huffman said...

Lip still hurting? :-) I hope you learn to tat. I tried several times but just couldn't get the hang of it. Good luck.

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Pammy Sue, your doily is lovely. I do crochet a pattern I created for throws using hairpin lace or broomstick lace but doilies like yours I have never tried. I have most of my grandmothers and they are stunning. She never read patterns, just looked at a sample and went to crocheting.

WOW I can't imagine the pain of your lip freezing to the ice cream scoop. I guess that's one way to plump up the lips. LOL

Crocheted rocks~~ I missed that one on etsy. I need to check it out. Unbelievable!! LOL

I think tatting is gorgeous. I don't do it but I have a friend/client who commissioned me to paint her wood shuttle with pink roses. It too was a small and tedious undertaking.

Have a Blessed Sunday!
XO

linda said...

I love tatting but I know for a fact I wouldn't have the patience to do it, good luck with it Pammy Sue. I like to knit in short bursts I have knitted so much in the past I think i've sickened myself now, strange I never get sick of crochet though. I had to laugh about the ice thing, I hope your lip is better. As for he computer I practically live on mine, you do not want to see the state of my house haha, hope you had a nice nap. :)

Olga said...

Pammy Sue, you are so funny!
I love the doily you are working on and the blue one also.

Dorothy said...

Love your crazy random thoughts in your posts" you obviously have a great sense of humour. Tatting is beautiful but I know I wouldn't have the patience for it - good luck. You'll be good at it I reckon. Next doiley is looking good. xox

Patricia Lewis said...

I agree with your readers Pammy Sue, you sure bring a smile to our day :)) thankyou....

Stone Cottage Adventures said...

What a fun post! Thanks for the laughter! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

Madtatter80 said...

very nice work as always love your expert crochet work and colors and patterns this truly is eye candy

Melissa aka "Fiber MacGuyver" said...

So pretty!! i wish I had the patience for doilies.

BettyandAnnie said...

I think its good that you are thinking about tatting, it is a dying art I feel. I am put off by the intricate patterns and yarns and feel its too small scale for me. It will be interesting to see how you get on. Your doilies are beautiful.