Thursday, June 19, 2014

♥ Iced Coffee Love ♥

I made my weekly iced coffee concentrate yesterday morning. I thought I'd share the process I go through once (or twice) a week making my cold brewed concentrate. Please notice the coffee I use. It's very important and makes a BIG difference in the taste of the coffee. Cafe Du Monde is the very best for iced coffee. I'm sure it's the chicory in it. 

Chicory is a coffee-like substance made from the dried, roasted roots of a bitter perennial herb. According to new Orleans locals, it's what makes New Orleans coffee worth writing home about. (See what WebMD has to say about chicory HERE.) I looked it up there because I thought I might be slightly allergic to it, as I get a little itchy if I drink more than two big cups a day, which I shouldn't do anyway...moderation, don't ya know.

I have such a strong addictive personality, I have to limit EVERYTHING I really like. Hmpf.

I got distracted, didn't I. What was I doing?  Oh, yeah. The coffee process...


First I fill up my big Ball jar about half-way with water. If you're persnickety about your water, you can use filtered water. I get it straight from the tap. (Persnickety...hee...I like that word, but I don't think I've ever used it.) Then I dump about half a can of the Cafe Du Monde ground coffee in there and mix it up real good, put the lid on and shake, shake, shake.  I fill it to the top with water after the coffee is mixed in well, set it on the counter and leave it for 24 hours or so. When I walk by during the day, I pick it up and give it a good shake.

After 24 hours or so, I do the first straining of it in a medium strainer.


The liquid will be really dark, rich, caramelly, mysterious, and beautiful.
It's absolutely my favorite color, hands down.
Or hand to God or whatever that saying is.

Then I strain it again using a doubled piece of cheesecloth inside the strainer.
You can see that you only get about half the jar full once you remove the grounds.
But remember it's concentrate so it's really-really strong.
And did I mention the pretty color?
I fill the jar back to the top with water, making a 2/1 ratio of concentrate to water.
Refrigerate and serve over ice with a healthy shot of whole milk.
No sugar for me. I like the dark, yummy flavor without any sweet in it.

I'm a mess-maker, and that's what we mess-makers do.
Every. Single. Time.
I'm sure you'll do better.

And there you have it.


Someone is going to paint!
Break out the drop cloth and turpentine...you'll need them to clean up after me.

Some of my old, old, old garden stuff needs a freshen-up.
This should be interesting.
Especially after a couple of glasses of iced coffee.
I'll be painting the sidewalk and fence.
Wouldn't that disgust my neighbors, ala Chris Brown?

Ha-ha-ha.
I heard he sold this Hollywood Hills house.
And his neighbors are happy-happy-happy.

See ya.

16 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I love good, strong coffee. Have fun with your painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hands down my most favorite coffee in the world!! I need to order some...now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of that coffee before. Looks like a neat process. Enjoy your next project. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love iced coffee...Have you ever had postem? Is very good. Thanks for the coffee tips. Have fun with your garden knome. Just stopping by to share some love!xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iced coffee and you with a paint brush in hand. This will be interesting. Glad to have poppped by today. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Iced coffee and you with a paint brush in hand. This will be interesting. Glad to have poppped by today. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pammy Sue, oh, your iced coffee sounds good. I drink hot coffee almost daily, but in our California heat iced one would be great!
    Have fun painting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm new to your blog and I'm loving it! I would love to come by and drink cold yummy coffee with you crochet away the day...

    ReplyDelete
  9. We drink coffee and chicory ... it comes in a small bottle... But knowing it can be made up I will go looking for it on the net to purchase :)) Thanks for the recipe..
    hugs pat :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good old Cafe Du Monde coffee with chicory! We lived in Louisiana for 5 years and I just love that coffee with beignets at the Cafe. I'll have to try your recipe! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, that's one recipe that I don't have to worry about. All of the others this week have looked so delicious I could feel the pounds piling on. But...I don't drink coffee so I can resist this one. :-)
    Can't wait to see your finished works of art with the paintbrush.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your coffee might be a little too strong for me. My fave iced coffee is from McDonalds but I don't have it very often as I think it might be too full of calories. I'm sure they use lots of ice cream in it !! Have a good weekend. xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I am craving iced coffee! I liked the Cafe DuMonde coffee too. I like to have some iced coffee in the afternoons when I need a pick me up. I just pour it from the pot into a cup over ice, and add a bit of creamer to it. Sometimes, I will stir in some Hershey's chocolate...and make it a mocha iced coffee. Yum.
    Whatcha gonna do with all that paint????
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am now craving an iced coffee, it sounds so delicious!

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous5:09 PM

    Your Iced Coffee sounds good! I love my coffee straight up!
    My choice of drink is Unsweetened Ice Tea....I'm afraid I drink a gallon or two a day!
    I also paint my garden figurines. I'll paint the new ones I buy or receive as gifts. Most of them are made too dark to be out in the gardens...so I whip out my paints and make them nice and bright and cheerful! I usually end up repainting them again after a few years in this hot Florida Sun!
    Enjoy!
    Kathy -Ravelry :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pammy, this cold-brew coffee recipe of your rocks! I tried another recipe for it a few yrs back and was major disappointed. But this is just like you said: smooth and lovely. I even left out sweetener and just used h-n-h. Oh, my. I can see this could be mighty habit-forming. I haven't any of the Cafe du Monde (yet), but my Lavazza cream e aroma worked just fine ;) thanks for another fine, fun thing to try.
    Mary in SD

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥