Thursday, May 01, 2014

What is THAT? Pavlova!

I KNOW!
I told you it was impressive.
Gorgeous, ain't it?

It's called Pavlova, and I had never heard of it in my life...
Until a few days ago.
Keep reading and I'll give you the recipe I used at the bottom.

Karen posted a picture of one she made on her blog.
And I was like, WHAT IS THAT?
Pavlova? I must Google this!
And I did. And then I made one myself.

I haven't cut it yet. I don't want to mess it up!
I'll be destroying it for 3:00 Coffee today with the Captain.
Am I the only person who's never heard of this before?

The latest doily I made.
Again, from a free graph on Pinterest.
Here it is...

I used #10 thread (Nazli Gelin Garden)
And a size 2.0 mm hook.


Doilyfest!

Betsy asked me what I do with all the doilies I make. Well, I give some away to friends and family, and then I have many displayed throughout the house, a couple hanging on the wall in frames, and more stuffed in drawers and boxes. I should probably have a giveaway on my blog soon, huh? How many doilies can one person use?

I know I've already posted a lot of pictures of that Pavlova, but Fletch was absolutely beside himself while I was taking pictures of it and I want to show you. He had already gotten a few blueberries tossed to him and licked some whipped cream from the beaters. That boy loves fruit of any kind.

Peeking over the table...

He got really exasperated at one point and started barking and howling.
Hee-hee! He's so funny.


I used pieces from a couple of different recipes I found online. Here's what I did...

Pavlova

4 egg whites
1 pinch salt
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (optional)
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 pint fresh strawberries or other fruit

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Draw a 9-inch circle on the parchment (trace a cake pan).

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.  In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until soft peaks form. Add 3/4 cup of the sugar gradually while continuing to whip. Make sure sugar is completely dissolved. Mix together the remaining 1/4 cup sugar with the cornstarch; lightly fold into meringue with a spatula. Mixture will become thicker once you do this.

Spread the meringue to fit inside the circle on the parchment paper. I made the edges higher and made a shallow bowl shape. (Very shallow, like 1/2-inch deep is all.)  Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Turn off oven, but leave meringue in oven for an additional 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Don’t worry if your meringue cracks some…it most likely will; mine did.  It will be mostly covered anyway.

At this point I wrapped the “crust” in plastic wrap and refrigerated overnight.  I was afraid to fill it when I knew we weren’t going to be eating it until the next day.  I don’t know if it keeps well or gets soggy or what.  So when you’re ready to eat it, proceed with instructions below.

Place your meringue on a cake plate. Slice up the fruit you will be using, or leave it whole if you want. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the cream and half a cup of powdered sugar, and whip until thickened.  Spread evenly on top of crust.  Top with fruit of your choice.  I used sliced up fresh strawberries, whole blueberries, and one sliced kiwi for decoration.  Refrigerate until serving.


I bet this would be really good with bananas and pineapple.  Mmm!

See ya!

26 comments:

  1. Great pictures! The dog is so cute. Doilies look great. Thanks for the recipie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drool!!! I've heard of a Pavlova, but always thought they were hard to make so never bothered. This looks amazing. It would make a great Mothers Day cake - With a slice of doily heaven on the side. How do you have the patience for the thread and tiny hooks? Nice collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I think it looks fantastic. I do think you need to have a giveaway and only enter my name so I am the winner.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that was a doily fest and very impressive and the dog things so too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doily overload! Haha. They're really pretty. I love pavlova. My husband's parents live in New Zealand and I ate it for the first time while visiting them years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need new glasses, Pammy Sue - on the thumbnail pic on my blog I thought you'd made a lovely colourful mandala!! But I bet that pavlova tasted as good as it looks. The doilies are so pretty, too. Have a great week, Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I"m with Fletch, he knows what's good!

    Lovely doilies....I have many doilies, too...and I love having them around. I change them out through out the seasons.

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a very impressive pavlova Pammy Sue and just wait till you taste it, it's one of my favourite desserts, I love all of your doily's that pink one is so pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yum! I've never heard of Pavlova, but it looks delish.
    Your doilies are beautiful :-) I love the blue heart and the white one with blue flowers the best.
    Fletch is so cute, especially when he's photobombing the shot with his feet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks delicious and No you aren't the only one who had never heard of Pavlova before. Fletch is hilarious. Just like my Chloe. She loves fruit too. And chicken!
    The doilies are fabulousness! So pretty and I love the color of your new one.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't stop looking at your new pink doiley - I LOVE it. Mind you, all your other ones are beautiful too. Pavlova is a traditionally favourite Aussie dessert. Yours looks fabulous and I must congratulate Fletch on his good taste. Strawberries, Kiwifruit and passion fruit pulp are the most popular fruits for the top but anything goes. You'll be making this often, believe me !! xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a doily ROCK STAR! I think you should have a giveaway on that long one and enter only my name, not Meredith's. TeeHee! That dessert would certainly be a show stopper if you were having a tea party. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look at all that lacey loveliness!
    Did the pavlova taste as good as it looked?

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is GORGEOUS! If it tastes half as good as it looks, then it will be divine!!!
    Love the doilies!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  15. A must at every celebration in our family.. along with cheese cake lol both my favourite :)) I must say yours looks absolutely devine ...well done :))
    As always your crochet is beautiful :))
    hugs pat :))

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thats the best looking pavlova ive ever seen hope you enjoyed. Sometimes i pour hot toffe sauce over it......seriouly you gotta try that next time oh my goodness its just so indulgent.
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, although that dessert (?) looks scrumptious, it was the forget-me-not doily that caught my eye.....they are all pretty but why would anyone even think that I would like that doily better than anything else you showed us, well, Fletch is sweet and he knows the doily wouldn't be as tasty as that fruity dessert. My dogs love strawberries and blueberries.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)
    ps, finally caught up again with my comments to all these posts. Boy, have you been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had Pavlova for the first time a few years ago. Up until then, I had never heard of it. One of my bunco group ladies made it for our dessert.
    Love all the doilies! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, I love pavlova and your looks amazing.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never heard of Pavlova until now. It sure looks good in the photos. I think your little doggy liked it too. You've been busy with the doilies. They're all so pretty. I really like the long oval one.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glenda Maikell12:34 AM

    While searching for a vintage crochet pattern, I came across this site that has a LOT of doiley patterns. I may be contributing to an addiction, but take a look anyway! It is http://grandmotherspatternbook.com/?page_id=3606

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love pavlova!!
    Yours looks yummy. :)

    I love the doily it's on especially though, very , very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Did you know Pavlova was a famous ballerina I think in the early 20th century? A famous chef wanted to honor her with a dessert as light and frothy as her dancing was. I have never attempted making one. That looks absolutely fab!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That Pavlova is gorgeous!! I want some! And look at that puppy eyeballing it!! Too cute!
    Love all the doilies! Wow, you have been busy!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pammy Sue, I meant to ask the name of the pattern for the oblong doily in this post. (The white one)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥