Monday, March 10, 2014

Sweet Potato and Bean Burritos

All of the ingredients except the water...

Peel, chop into chunks, and boil your sweet potatoes in water until soft; drain.

Saute your chopped onions and garlic until soft.

Drain and rinse the kidney beans and mash with onions and garlic.

Add 1/2 cup water and continue to mash until combined.

Mash the cooked sweet potatoes.

Lay your warmed tortillas out (I heated mine in the microwave in their package for 30 seconds on high), and begin layering and spreading the mashed potatoes, mashed beans, and cheese.

Wrap up your tortillas burrito-style.

Fold in the sides as shown above and then begin folding over from the bottom up. You'll only get about three folds. Turn burritos over with seam side down.

Place on a cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven. (No picture of this step) 

My very unprofessionally-styled burritos!
Ha-ha! I tried, people!

Serve with salsa and whatever else you desire.
Sour cream would be good.
Guacamole would be good.
Chocolate cake would be good.
Oh, er...never mind that last one.

These are so big, heavy, and filling, the Captain and I both only ate a half one for lunch today. We both liked them. The leftover burritos were wrapped in Saran Wrap and put in the fridge. When we're ready for more later, we'll just pop them in the microwave or heat them up on a cookie sheet in the oven again. I liked them heated in the oven because it made the tortilla every so slightly crisp and they held together better. The Captain heated his up some more in the microwave (because nothing is ever hot enough for him), and it made the tortilla soft and mushy. I wouldn't recommend that unless you like soft and mushy.

Here's the recipe to copy, paste, and print...

Sweet Potato & Bean Burritos
8 servings (1/2 burrito each)

1 squirt canola or vegetable oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (2 large)
4 large flour tortillas (10-inch), warmed
8 oz shredded cheddar
Salsa

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat oil in a medium skillet and sauté onion and garlic until soft. Stir in beans and mash. Gradually stir in water and heat until warm. Remove from heat and stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper, and soy sauce.
Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the warm flour tortillas. Top with cheese. Fold up tortillas burrito style and place on a baking sheet.

Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven and serve with salsa.



I've been crocheting on things every day...several things even, but nothing is finished to show you. I'll get there eventually.

The Captain is off today. He's been strengthening up the back gate and installing extra locks. He's going over to my mom & dad's to help my dad install some security cameras he bought. We'll probably do that too over here. They're not that expensive anymore. 

It just pisses me off that we have to do those kinds of things to deter other people from stealing our stuff, ya know? It also pisses me off that I've not been able to think of much else ever since it happened. It sucks. Like I needed another reason to hate people and be afraid to leave my house. I don't really care about my possessions, but I'd DIE if something happened to my dogs. If anybody wants anything I have, I'd be more than happy to give it to them (except a dog). Seriously! You can have anything! Just don't steal it!

I told the Captain I was going to the animal shelter and bringing home the biggest dog they have. I think he thinks I was kidding, but I wasn't. Don't be surprised (like he will be!) when I suddenly show up with one. I don't want another dog, but it'll make me feel better to have a big dog to show-off in the backyard. I'm gonna think about it really hard some more.

Can you imagine?
I can't think of a better deterrent.


10 comments:

  1. Your wraps look professional to me. You did a good job making that recipe look yummy. The pics look fantastic. I know what you mean about the security issues. I have been thinking about you a lot theses past several days. It became more of an issue when yesterday at 1 am in the town where both my girls live there was a shooting at a bar and 3 men in their mid 20's (one was an off duty cop)were shot and killed, a forth was shot also and had to be Life Flighted to Toledo. That same day another guy was shot. The first shooter was on the run and they have not found him yet. I have been seriously wanting to buy a small handgun. I really don't want to, but there is too much serious stuff going on and it is scarey. That robber wold have crapped had they come into your back yard and you would have been sitting on your patio with a morning cup of coffee and your gun. Good thing they shut the gate though or the dogs would have gotten out. People do steal dogs too, many are stolen for the purpose of illegal dog fighting. This is all scarey. A person should not have to be fearful at home or when they leave. A person has to do what they feel is right to protect themselves.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The burritos look great but the dog looks even better. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The burritos look yummy, I wonder if they would freeze ok. I love that dog, if it would make you feel safer Pammy Sue then get one, and a security camera too. xx





    ReplyDelete
  4. You're burritos look GREAT!!!! Big dog looks AWESOME!! One reason I get along with my dog and cats better than I do with people...self explanatory!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you did a fine job on those burritos.. you're quite a roller! I think you need one big dog. We adopted a half Great Dane, half St. Bernard that looked similar to that photo. If you get a big dog, I do hope you get it from a rescue group. And remember, the big dogs have a short life span. We also had 2 great danes. I do love big dogs!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-) PS, we have a great security system with 3 indoor cameras and 1 at the back door which we can monitor from our iPhones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The burritos sound delicious, thanks for the recipe. I'm with you on the theft-deterrents. I live in a very high-crime city, unfortunately. I can't believe all the property crime and burglary here. I'm in the process of researching home-security companies; the previous owner wired everything and we've held out for five years, not wanting to believe we really need to get signed up with a company, but the writing's on the wall. If the previous owner did it, there's probably a reason. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would gladly bring that fella home.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm looks good - what time is dinner ? I don't think you really need a Sharpei - they get kinda ugly when they grow into their wrinkles. What you do need is a big sign like we have - WARNING - BEWARE OF THE DOG - works a treat. Would you risk entering a yard with a sign like that - even if there wasn't a dog to be seen? You never know if they're lurking somewhere. Enjoy the rest of those burritos. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think a big dog is a great idea. Maybe a German Shepard? It might bring a little peace of mind. Burritos look delicious!
    Hugs,
    Beca

    ReplyDelete
  10. You either need a doberman or german shepherd. Then let someone come in your back yard. I had some stuff ripped off out of my Bronco years ago in FL and I felt so violated. I hated feeling like that but that's how it feels. I knew that feeling, it came back, when I read your post. Sux big time you have to resort to measures you never thought you'd have to take. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥