Sunday, March 09, 2014

Something Different






I've had this ball of twine for a while now. It's really rough and woody. You'll notice my new blog background that I put up yesterday. That doily reminded me of it, so I got it out yesterday and began crocheting a doily with it. It sounds easier than it was. It was really hard on the hands, both because of the rough texture of it and the stiffness. I started going by a pattern in the above pictured book, but stopped using it after the first 4-5 rounds and just winged the rest. I love the results, and it was fun doing something different.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. It won't make a good doily because of the uneven texture. I'll probably hang it on the wall somewhere.


Have you ever bought the 15 Bean Soup package of dry beans and made the recipe on the back? I discovered it late last year and decided to try it. All of the ingredients are above, except the salt and water. You'll need about 1 tsp of salt. The ham flavor packed (in white above) comes in the package with the beans, but it's not salty. It calls for ham hock, but I like to use smoked ham so you get lots of good chunks of meat. Don't leave out the lemon! I'm convinced it's the secret ingredient that makes this so good. Also, the directions are for making it on top of the stove, but I always use my crock pot. It's DELICIOUS! Hands down, the best bean recipe I've ever tried. Find the package of beans with the rest of the dried beans in the grocery store. I usually get mine at Wal-Mart, but I've seen them other places too.


Thought you might like to see the table that was stolen (or rather the place where it use to be). It was a smaller version of the one above and sat back in the corner with the purple flowers on it. You can see that there are a couple of slate tiles missing from the table they left. There were several tiles from that table lying on the ground, but they ended up not taking it. I don't know if they got scared off because they heard the dogs or if they just decided it was too big and heavy to take.

If you look closely at the purple flowers, you can see that Eli jumped up on the table and peed on the container. He could smell a stranger all over it so he reclaimed it by marking it as his. You should have seen the dogs peeing on everything. They could smell those thieves everywhere from the gate to the porch, and most especially on the gate. Every one of them peed on it. Maybe I should have peed on it too.

Did you turn your clocks forward an hour? I really wish they'd do away with Daylight Savings Time. I'd rather it get dark earlier. I love it in the winter when it's dark at 5:30 pm!

I think I'm gonna make a chocolate cake today. It sounds good. My hips think so too.

I'm off to watch the race and crochet. See ya.

14 comments:

  1. Love your doily! You are always so creative. :)

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Pammy Sue, so scary those thieve were so close to your house. The dogs have the right idea. :-) Your doily is very nice and the book of patterns looks very interesting. I've never tried twine and can imagine just how difficult it would be on your hands. I'm the opposite of you with daylight savings time. I love the extra light to extend the day in the evenings so you can do more outside after work. I wish it would stay daylight savings year round. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pammy.. I was thinking it would be hard on your hands to crochet twine.. but it's pretty! I think you should use it as a hot pad on the table.. it would work good for that! I'm not a fan of DST either. What pain! Have you figured out who the thieves were? ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Just read about your theft. How scary to have been in that situation. The nerve of some people. I'm glad you're ok. I've tried the bean soup and it is delicious. My kids aren't big fans of it but I like it. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new blog layout it looks really good. I think your new doily would make a great wall hanging it's lovely. Chocolate cake sounds good to me too Pammy Sue, save me a piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your new blog layout it looks really good. I think your new doily would make a great wall hanging it's lovely. Chocolate cake sounds good to me too Pammy Sue, save me a piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The twine doily is a great idea for hot pots. How did you find it. hard to crochet? Have a great day :-):-) hugs pat..

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to see you trying something new. I had a friend make that bean soup and it is delious love a good bean soup and smoked ham chunks too. Daddy use get huge ham hocks at Amish market I love the flavor not too fond of the meat. Mom use to make lots of bean soups all kinds I always love that and fresh butter bread too. I am so happy that your okay. I should get my crock pot and make some yummy meals too. I love your hints on cooking been a while since I cooked a meal. Wonderful blog take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool doily! I am so making that soup. Those tables are my living room tables, seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pammy Sue, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet you wish you could do more than pee on those thieves. I know I would. Keep a good eye out because they may try again in your neighborhood. I see you are having fun with your blog header. Very nice. I finished my Nine Patch Granny squares and am going crazy sewing in those darn ends. I can only stand to do one a day. Eleven remaining. You should hang the crochet. It would look great on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the early darkness in winter too. But I am always ready for daylight savings time too, when it comes around. Love the doily!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would tell you that your doily would be pretty on the tile table on your patio, but heck someone would probably steal it and then it would be gone. The dogs have the right idea, mark their territory, sure you go out there and mark it too, lol. I know it isn't funny, but the only way now a days to keep people from stealing is to shove it up where the sun don't shine, and, you can bet your bottom dollar someone would still try and snatch it from there. Sometimes people just suck.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the doily would be perfect on the new outside table you are going to have to get. So sorry you are going through all of this. We have had some break ins here in my neighborhood lately, it is not fun to hear the police helicopter over your house.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥