Tuesday, December 10, 2013

One-Arm Brown Bread

We've been stuck in the house the past week with thick ice on the roadways, so I decided to make our own bread.  It's one of my favorite things to do anyway.  I made three different recipes, all which I found on AllRecipes.com, and they were all really good.  I used my Oster Bread Machine, but I'm sure you could just plop your dough into a loaf pan after you kneed it, let it rise, and bake it until it's nice and brown and sounds hollow when you thump it.

I love my bread machine and have definitely gotten good use out of it.  I'm surprised it still works because it's over 15 years old and gets a workout regularly.


Steakhouse Wheat Bread (My personal favorite)
Makes one loaf

1 cup warm water
1 pkg (.25 oz) yeast
1 Tbsp white sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 Tbsp softened butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp instant coffee granules, pressed with the back of a spoon to powder it
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups white all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour

Mix yeast in the 1 cup of warm water and 1 Tbsp sugar until the yeast activates and the top becomes foamy, about 5-10 minutes.  Add the yeast mixture and rest of the ingredients into your bread machine pan.  Use the basic bread setting and light crust setting.

Note: I've started activating my yeast like this lately after several failed batches of bread this past year.  It just wasn't rising properly for me.  I've had no trouble since I've started doing this and then adding it to my machine with the other ingredients.


8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Your bread looks beautiful! I've never seen a recipe like this one, with cocoa powder!

Foxxy said...

I heard about the ice storm down south and it sounds bad. Baking bread is a good way to stay occupied while staying warm and cozy in the house. Looks delicious!

Teresa Kasner said...

That bread machine sure came in handy for you, didn't it? What a neat sounding recipe! I always wondered how they made that dark sweet bread. I had my sisters holiday luncheon today.. it was fun but now I'm tired! LOL! How's the arm healing? Hope you're back with two arms soon!

((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Kris said...

I can't believe you are up to making bread!!! I will try your bread maybe tomorrow! It looks good. I have had my machine for over 20 years, and use it regularly too. I got so into making bread a few years ago, that I got a second machine. My Mom actually gave it to me. We make a lot of bread in the winter!!!
xo Kris
PS I will call you again this week. Hope you are healing well my friend!!!

Lisa said...

Your bread looks delicious. I have a bread machine in my house, but I didn't use it for years. My favorite bread is a white bread with onions and curry. Hmmm.

Lisa

Dorothy said...

Yum .. nothing like home made bread. I love the smell of it cooking nearly as much as I like eating it. Your loaf looks great. Hope those doggies are looking after you - as well as the Captain of course. xoxox

Mereknits said...

I bet your house smelled very yummy with that bread baking.
Hugs,
Meredith

Lynne said...

You just inspired me to dig my bread machine out of the cupboard. Your bread turned out great. Good thing you only need one arm to eat it!!!