Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Birthday Stuff

My sister that does mosaics made me this dog for my birthday. Isn't it cute? I love him. He's hanging on the wall on one end of my kitchen.

My other sister gave me this cookbook.
Of course, I had to try something...

So I made this Kahlua Cake.
It was kind of a flop though...

It stuck to the bottom of the pan and ripped off the whole top of the cake when I turned it out. So the looks of it aren't great, but OMG, it tastes so good. I'm definitely going to make it again, changing up the instructions a bit. You split the cake mixture into two separate bowls and add the Kahlua, 1 cup of brown sugar and pecans in one of the bowls. The instructions say to start with 1/2 of the Kahlua brown sugar mixture and layer it that way in the pan, but I think that was a mistake. I think the regular part of the cake mixture should go in first to prevent the sticking. We'll see. I went out and bought more Kahlua today so I could make it again. It's too good of a cake to write off. The flavor is so good!

I'll let y'all now how it turns out when I make it again.

A cat in a box.

I still haven't crocheted anymore on my kitty. In fact, I haven't crocheted anything at all. I've been in a funk. All I've been doing is sleeping, watching TV, and reading. That's it. Since I'm no stranger to these regular "funks," I know the doom and gloom will lift in a few days. I'm just on the downswing of the mania that overtakes me on a regular basis. 

See ya.

11 comments:

  1. I do hope you're feeling better soon, but I understand completely because it happens to me too. I hope you had a great birthday. I love that dog and the Kahlua cake sounds delicious. I love Kahlua!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your little mosaic dog is so sweet. I just smile looking at him. That cake looks delicious. I don't see a thing wrong with it. May I taste it please? Hope your funk gets better soon. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been having a lot of those days lately. Including today. But all I want to do is crochet and watch tv. But like you I know it will be gone soon. Now about that cake...LOL I have never even tried kahlua before. But the cake looks good :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. *H*A*P*P*Y* * *B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y*!*!*!* again.. and what a nice gift from your sister! I think that cake sounds delish! I get those funks, too.. and usually have no idea why. Paste a smile on your pretty face and it might make you feel better! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little mosaic dog is so cute! I love his little heart. The Kahlua cake sounds like it would be delicious.

    Know what you mean about feeling in a funk. It hit me late this afternoon. In my case I feel rather restless, but on the other hand, too cranky and blah to do anything. I think the time change and the weather here has contributed. Tonight it seemed like it was so late. It had been dark for such a long time...it was 6:45pm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you had a good Birthday Pammy Sue, I love your mosaic dog it's lovely so unusual, I can feel my mood going down too, it's the dark cold gloomy weather that does it for me, I need a piece of your cake to cheer me up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love those kind of cookbooks, that and church cookbooks. Some of the best recipes come from these kinds of books. Cake looks like it would taste good...maybe if you line the pan with wax paper it would keep the stuff from sticking to the bottom. Many blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:33 AM

    Love the mosaic dog! Cake sounds yummy! I think if I was making something with Kahlua in it...it would end up Kahlua-less! Nothing like a glass of Kahlua to warm one up! :)
    Kathy
    (I get in that funk too....usually when I have deadlines to finish a project....but I'll sit for a few days...and complain...how I don't have much time to finish it!..go figure!)
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a darling mosaic dog! Sounds like you have had a recent birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! I love seeing glimpses of your charming, warm home.
    The cake sounds divine to me, who cares what it looks like.
    I go through these funks too. I spend 98% of my time inside my house,{due to not feeling well plus a compromised immune system} unless the weather is good and I am on my front porch swing.
    Like you, I am a bit reclusive. I actually love being home but sometimes I get in the funk too.
    You'll get back to your kitty eventually. I will pray for you. In the meantime, just enjoy eating, sleeping and reading. Works for me!
    Love,
    Danette

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you had a great birthday. That little mosaic doggie is so cute. Very 'different' and will probably be a good conversation starter. xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, we might share a birthday... the 5th? Happy Belated Birthday!! =D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥