Wednesday, October 30, 2013

My Ass is Exploding

Okay, my pants are just tighter, but still.
I have to stop cooking and baking so much...
Or maybe just stop eating it?

NAH!
I'm getting too much enjoyment out of it right now.

Cooking chicken thighs, sausage, onions, bay leaves, seasonings, and water. Rice will be added once the chicken is done and has been skinned and de-boned.

This is Paula Deen's Chicken Bog recipe. We love this. I've been making it for years now. Here's the finished dish.

Looks like slop, but it's GOOD slop!

Chicken Bog

2 lbs chicken thighs (with skin and bones)
2 lbs smoked sausage (I used turkey sausage)
1 large onion, chopped (about a cup)
1 stick of butter (I used 1/2 stick)
3 tsp seasoned salt like Lawry's
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne (optional)
3 bay leaves
8 cups of water
3 cups of raw white rice (not instant)

Slice the sausage into 1/2-inch pieces.  In a stockpot, combine the chicken, sausage, onion, butter, seasonings, and bay leaves.  Add the water, bring to a boil, and cooked partially covered for 40 minutes on a low boil. 

Remove the chicken to a plate to cool. Remove the bay leaves and throw them away.  When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and pick the meat from the bones. 

Skim the fat off the top of the liquid in the pot. Chop the meat into chunks and place the chopped chicken back in the pot.  

Add rice and bring to a boil, stirring well.  Boil for 10 minutes then reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 10 more minutes or until the rice is done and the liquid is absorbed.  Check often to make sure the rice isn't sticking to the bottom of your pan.

Serve with Louisiana hot sauce (like Frank's Red Hot).


I gots nothin' else!

Bye.

15 comments:

  1. You know I had to come by and pay you a visit after reading the title to your post. Lol! I think it happens to all of us this time of year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I think I'd rather look a little bit "fluffy" than give up yummy food. Bring on the Franks hot sauce. That's the best looking slop ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep cooking Girl! Stuff that looks like "slop" is usually the yummiest, especially in cold weather. I love your crocheted kitty in your last post. And, of course, your vampire doggie :)))
    Happy Cooking,
    Danette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww no fair! I am sitting here eating pizza. I did bake a strawberry cream cake for dessert though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula Dean has plenty of good recipes. I have a few of her cookbooks and also one of her son's lower calorie versions of some of his mom's dishes. I love one-dish meals, sometimes they are just what we need. I thank God for stretch pants!
    Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum.. that looks almost like jambalaya or something. Thanks for the idea! We're cooking a lot more around here with 6 of us to feed, and that would be ideal!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one dish that I'll definitely be trying. It looks delicious, not slop at all. As you said, they're usually the best tasting dishes. I definitely have to stop baking too. My clothes are already tight and it's not even officially cold yet. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I am gaining weight just by reading your blog, it looks very yummy.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. You take good photos Pammy Sue ... what kind of camera do you use. Like the look of that dish you made but I'm trying to lose weight, not put any more on :) xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're definitely a southern girl talking about "slop". The price to pay with cooking good food is more on the hips!!! Got to figure out how to balance it....eat a little or truly enjoy it!
    Linda/lindacrochets

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh boy!!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥