Friday, October 04, 2013

Cottontots Cowl

  



I was feeling the need for a Tah-Dah around here so I made this today. I've had this yarn in my stash for a while and had no idea what I was going to make with it. This is a really pretty stitch pattern, but it doesn't show up in this variegated yarn. I'll be making another one in a solid color, but I really like these colors so I went ahead with it. This yarn has been discontinued and is no longer available. Boo-hoo.

Pattern:  Soft Stitch Cowl, a free pattern HERE.
Yarn:  Bernat Cottontots in Doll House, worsted weight, 300 yards (2 skeins)
Hook Size: J

My Notes:  I chained 159 to begin because I wanted more room in the neck so I wouldn't feel claustrophobic when I wore it. I'm on the tallish side at 5'8". I like a lot of neck room. Check your starting chain by doubling it around your neck before you begin Round 1 to make sure it's the length that will be comfortable for you. Chain any number divisible by 2 and then add one chain before beginning Round 1.

A good replacement and similar yarn to Cottontots is Lion Brand Nature's Choice Organic Cotton. They have lots of solid color choices.

Have a great weekend.
Mine will be rainy and cool. Yipee!
Perfect crocheting weather and the Captain is working.
Don't be surprised to see another one of these cowls before it's over.

Pammy Sue

19 comments:

  1. Love the cowl..Those colors will look good with your hair color. I am soooo ready for it to be cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you made such a neat thing with that yarn. I'm so sad that it's been discontinued. I am in the middle of making a blanket for my 4 yr old grandson with it and am lacking in the lime berry color - I finally found one skein for sale on Ravelry at twice the price I paid in the store.. $10 for 1 skein of lime green - that included shipping. I want to try the organic cotton - but I've been told I cannot buy any more yarn. :-)
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks very pretty. I like the vibrant colors of this variegated yarn. Perfect for fall.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it Pammy Sue! I am so ready to finish these flower squares, so that I can go on to other things!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cowl! I got to see and touch Teresa's blanket today and so I know just how soft your yarn is. It's so sad that they've discontinued the cotton-tots yarn. It seems so popular
    Have a great weekend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not surprised you want to make more than one...that is a very pretty cowl Pammy Sue. Have a great weekend my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link. I have been searching for some great cowl patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cowl Pam, great choice of colors & have to agree with you on length, love a roomy cowl much more comfy & def less irritating around your neck. Also loving the doilies you been hooking up, was browsing through your posts, i'm so caught up on doilies :)
    Have a great weekend
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you really have your ta-da moment, this is a beauty. I can't believe how fast you crochet, you are so much faster than me. I am jealous of your rainy, cool weekend. Here it is dry, sunny and high of 89,
    boo-hoo.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty, Pretty! I like how you styled it with that shirt and the pearls. Going to check out the linky.
    Toodles

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh the Whiz Crochet Kid has stuck again. Lovely cowl, love the color. They are such fun to make. Good idea to measure it by putting it around your neck first....reading that was like a light bulb moment for me. Heck, I am really thinking I am dim witted after all.And, Miss Pammy, I spied out your dress form. Yesterday I was in search of one on the net and ran across this lovely one, tried to order it and couldn't get the order to take all the info for the design fabric I wanted on it...so, I called their number and they called me back. It would seem they are not quite ready with opening their shop, so I gotta check back. I have been wanting a form to display all my goodies too. Everyone has one but me :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's lovely Pammy Sue, it looks all cosy and warm :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's very pretty. I'm also feeling the need to crochet something for the cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty Pammy Sue. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice post, i love it

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that! It's really pretty with the pearls too. Nice touch to that photo Sister.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love this! Love the colors, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know why I'm missing some of my favourite blogger's posts but seems I am !! That cowl looks so warm and 'squishy' - very pretty colours too. Hope you enjoyed your weekend. We have a public holiday here tomorrow so its a nice long weekend for us. xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥