Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Pillow & Pie Break



I was looking through Ravelry this morning for a pillow pattern.  I want to make something smallish and take a wee break from the blanket.  Aren't these adorable??  I love them.  Wish the dog looked more like a dog. Anybody got any ideas on that one?  (Maybe a tongue?  Ha!)  I don't think this would be a really quick project which is what I'm looking for right now, but I do want to make one of them.  I'll have to think about it and keep looking.

If you want to make either of them, the patterns are HERE and HERE.

*******************************


The Captain has been asking me to make a Lemon Meringue Pie for a couple of weeks now. I finally got around to it last night.  It's been in the fridge since then just waiting for us.  We'll have a piece tonight when he gets home. 

I used a frozen pie crust from the grocery store.


Mmm, lemon...

And I usually use the recipe on the side of the box of Jell-O Lemon Pudding mix. It's easy and just as good as any completely home-made ones I've made...maybe better.  I did use a couple of extra egg whites and some cream of tartar in the meringue.  I don't know how they expect you to top a pie and have it look decent with just three egg whites!  Other than that, I followed the recipe exactly.

Note:  I think the trick to not having it get all runny and watery is to cool it completely on the counter, as directed (4 hours), and then refrigerate it overnight before cutting.

*********************************

Back to my pillow search!

Pammy Sue

14 comments:

  1. Mmmm,, lemon meringue!! Love the doggie and the owl!!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are cute pillows! My mom was a renowned pie maker and we always looked forward to her lemon meringue pie. She would have me stir the pie filling and mix up the meringue. You're a nice wife for making Cap his pie! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lemon Meringue is my favorite. Jello has lemon meringue taste sensations I love only 60 calories with meringue and all, just a small cup. They are amazing. What about your flower pillows. Make one to match your new yellow blanket. Your others were gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pillows are really cute, but like you said, probably wouldn't be a quick project once you piece it all together. What about a big granny square with the corners folded in and seamed. I've always thought those looked neat. You'll figure something out I'm sure. Your pie looks amazing, I've never made meringue. Take care! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pie looks delicious Pammy Sue! Lemon! Love it! The pillows are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pillows and the Lemon Meringue pie :) Zee pie looks larapin'! I personally love the colors used in the owl pillow and feel the urge to make one m'self.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pie looks so lemony, I can taste it now, yum. Those pillows are adorable. That could be a project for another time for me, but right now I am sick of the African Flowers. I finished up making 169 of them for my mom's blanket and now comes the fun part (NOT!) sewing them all together.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum on the pie!

    Hey, when I first saw the dog one, I thought his eyes reminded me of an owls eyes that were closed. Maybe if you could do something different with his eyes. But they are both adorable.

    Looking forward to seeing what you hook up.

    Blessins always dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummmm... I do love me some lemon pie!! ;)

    Love those little animal pillows. My one and only crochet project-in-progress SHOULD be an animal when it is finished... now, to just have time to get back to it!!!! Ah, why do we have chores and work we HAVE to do? ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. MMMM, haven't had a lemon meringue pie since I don't know when! The pillows are cute. Was hoping they were free patterns but nope. Oh well. Hope you're doing good with your back. I have a dr. appt at lunch today for my neck. X-rays before the appt. Can't wait to see my new hardware.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen that owl pillow and had my eye on it...hadn't seen the doggie version before. I like both - but loving the dog version the most. I knew it was a dog the minute I looked at it. Do you think it needs more? I don't know. That pie looks amazing! You're a good woman, Pammy Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh. Um. Those pillows are so freaking cute....what a great idea, I think the doggy is doggy-like, kinda :o) Happy pie eating Mrs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such cute pillows! You're right though. Not exactly a fast project.
    Your pie looks good enough to eat right off of the computer screen!
    Yum! What a lucky husband you have.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I like the doggie one!!!!!

    Lemon Meringue, hmmmm... looks delish!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥