Saturday, September 07, 2013

Goodies

I started making the African Flowers for the pillow. I went with Baby Bee Sweet Delight yarn in white and Baby Bee Flower Print in Pikalicous and a Size 3.25 mm hook. That makes them very small...3 inches across at the widest point. I don't want a really big pillow so this should work out great. I'm either going to make the joining round white or gray. Joining them with gray came to me last night, and I think it would be really pretty. There are small amounts of gray in that pink yarn I'm using. (That's my BIG yellow blanket underneath.)

And then...



I made these Baby Ruth Bars last night. I've had the recipe for about 10 years but have never made them. The Captain brought the recipe home from work way back when and said they were really good. This makes a TON. The pan is so heavy you wouldn't believe it. I froze half of these for another time.

Baby Ruth Bars

1-1/3 cups margarine or butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/3 cup white corn syrup
8 cups old fashioned oatmeal 
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup peanut butter

Get out the biggest bowl you have…you’ll need it.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt margarine.  Add brown sugar, syrup, peanut butter, oatmeal, and vanilla, and mix until well combined.  Press into a 9 x 13” pan.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Cool.

Topping

6-oz pkg chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate)
3-oz butterscotch chips
2/3 cups peanut butter
1 cup chopped peanuts (I used unsalted)

Melt first three topping ingredients in the microwave and stir until smooth.  Mix in the chopped peanuts.  Pour all of it on top of your cooled bars and spread until evenly covered.  Cool completely and cut into bars.

*******************************

The Lemon Meringue Pie turned out great the other day.
The Captain was a happy man!

*******************************

I find I get so much more done when I make a list. I like to see each thing be marked off when it's done...

Today's To-Do List:

One load of laundry
Hand-water plants & flowers in the backyard
Throw chicken dinner in the crockpot at noon.
Make at least three more African Flower Hexies
Crochet at least three rows of blocks on the yellow blanket
Drink lots of water
Watch the NASCAR race tonight!

What are you doing today?

13 comments:

  1. Im working...Yea. Your blanket looks so soft. Have a good one..Kody is still scooting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lemon meringue pie looks so delicious.
    What am I doing. Last night I couldn't sleep so I cleaned the kitchen and the toilettes from the restaurant and I also cleaned the restaurant. Then I ironed the laundry and at least I did the bookkeeping for the hotel. Then it was time for making breakfast for our hotel guests and after that I went to bed and slept 5 hours.

    Have a nice weekend.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. We driving through Wyoming on our way to Cody and then Yellowstone. I liked your lemon meringue pie so much I got a Alice at Perkins the other day. Love the croched flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I like to make lists too Pammy Sue it gives me great satisfaction to cross stuff off once it's done. Love your African flowers they are so pretty, I also love lemon meringue pie, yours looks yummy and your baby Ruth bars look good too, I would half all the ingredients, trouble is if you keep on tempting me like this I'm going to be as big as a house end! haha have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so industrious! Those are cute flowers, I love making them.. and that big blanket is going to keep you warm and happy for a long time! I hope you enjoy my zucchini bread recipe, I just finished the last slice of my loaf for breakfast just 2 minutes ago! Have a super day! I'm going to make another load of that Z bread today too! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a list maker too. Your pillow is going to be really pretty. Looking forward to seeing it complete. The candy/cookie bars look incredibly rich; but yummy. Enjoy the race tonight. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chicken for dinner here too. Just sewed a backing for a quilt and cruising through Pinterest. Too darn hot for anything but staying in the air conditioning. I want to stick my face in that lemon pie, it looks so yummy. I'll have to settle for some two day old brownies that are starting to dry out on the counter.
    Like that pink yarn your using for the flowers, very pretty.
    Carry on.
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what I WANT to be doing... eating at your house! LOL! Oh, yum those two desserts look so good. {sigh}

    I need to get back on my little African flower project. I'm feeling inspired after seeing your little beauties!
    Enjoy a piece of those goodies for me, will you. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a way to end your blog with the lemon pie..that looks so yummy. I keep telling myself I want to make a blanket..just can't seem to put the thread down. My plans for today, laundry, mop floor, roast in crock pot, grab hook. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay those bars look so yummy, I want a taste. Love your little flowers, my list today, two loads of laundry, get ready fro work tomorrow, lots of knitting while watching the Packers play at 4:30, a walk with Max and a visit to see my Mom in the nursing home.
    Oh and early to bed, I'm tired.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those adorable little flowers. They are so pretty. I am looking forward to seeing your finished pillow.

    Ohhh I think I might need some of your yummy baked goods....any of them, all of them...Yum, yum....yummmmmm!

    Today I am knitting!

    Hugs and blessings always

    ReplyDelete
  12. That plate is so stinkin' adorable!!
    I make to-do lists, too....of course. I recently learned that's a personality trait of a certain type personality...don't know which type, but it has to be good, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your African Flowers are lookin' pretty! Mine are tan and brown.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥