Monday, August 05, 2013

What's For Dinner?

Stuffed Peppers!
Here's how I make mine...


Cut the bottoms off of 4 large or 6 medium green peppers so that they sit level in your baking pan. Cut out the stem and top portion of the pepper and clean out the seeds. Rinse well with water and set aside to dry.

Make a pan of instant rice. To make mine, I brought 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil, added 1 1/2 cups of instant rice and some salt, placed a lid on the pan and removed it from the heat to sit 5 minutes or so. I added 1 1/2 Tbsps butter when the rice had soaked up all the water, stirred and set it aside.  

Put a large skillet on the stove to heat up. Add some olive oil.  Dice an onion and add it to the hot pan. Place 1 lb of hamburger meat into the pan and add the spices you like; stir well.  (I used dried oregano, garlic powder salt, and black pepper. When the hamburger meat has browned, removed from heat and add the cooked rice and stir to combine...


Add about 1/2 a can or jar of spaghetti sauce to your beef and rice mixture; stir. Reserve the rest for later.



Fill your peppers with the beef and rice mixture and place then into a baking dish you have sprayed with cooking spray...


Add some of the reserved spaghetti sauce to the top of each pepper and pour the rest around them in the bottom of the pan. Cover with two layers of foil, and bake for 45 at 350 degrees F or until peppers are sufficiently soft.

Sorry no pics of the finished dish. It's in the oven right now baking for dinner! (And sorry if my pictures are blurry. I have no idea why they all came out that way today. Or maybe it's just my eyes. I've been squinting at thread and a small crochet hook the past couple of hours.

******************************

Look what I found at the antique store...


It's a pillow cover made with a very sturdy linen-type of material and then embroidered. I thought it was so pretty, and I have a pillow form to fit it already in my stash of crafty stuff.




It was in a bin for 25% off of $5.95. Of course I'll iron it, and then I'm going to add a crocheted border of some kind. It's on my to-do list. Who knows when the mood will strike me to do it, but I wanted to share it with you today.

Have a great evening!

13 comments:

  1. That's one of my Hubby's favorite meals. Yours looks delicious and your pictures were fine.
    What a beautiful piece of embroidery. That was a definite bargain!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. Your stuffed peppers made me hungry for them. Big Daddy doesn't like Bell Pepper so I never make them.
    Very cute pillow case...and SCORE! What a good price you got!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those peppers look so good!!!! I make mine similar.
    LOVE the embroidered pillow slip! I can't wait to see it with your crochet border!!!!
    How are the cantaloupe coming? How are you feeling????
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. OM Gosh! Those peppers looks so good! The Hubster doesn't like stuffed green peppers here so I don't make them just for me. Maybe I will and just freeze them. Hah!
    I love the embroidery piece. So pretty and your idea for a crochet trim will work great. Can't wait to see it. Keep us posted. :)
    Reni C in Az

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE that pillow cover!! I will look forward to seeing the edging you add. =)

    Your stuffed peppers look mighty good, Pammy Sue! I'm still trying to lay off the carbs... bummer. I'll just enjoy thinking about them! Have a great day. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your recipie..looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love stuffed peppers but haven't fixed them in a while :-(
    Love the vintage embroidery! Hope you are getting stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your peppers sound good Pammy Sue. I fixed some this weekend myself. It had a chicken broth base vs. the tomato base, it was different, but good. Hope your week is off to a great start. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your stuffed peppers look delicious. We were just talking about making stuffed peppers the other day when my mil brought over some bell peppers she got from someone's garden. Then the topic evolved into memories of grandma making pigs in a blanket by using the same type of filling and rolling it up in a cabbage leaf. I'm getting hungry now ;)

    Love the pillow cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The peppers look delicious Pammy Sue thanks for giving the how to I must give them a try,I made some stuffed vine leaves last week and they were lovely too, but very fiddly and a lot of work. The embroidery is beautiful, I hope you are keeping well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love stuffed peppers. I make mine similar to your recipe. Your embroidery find is pretty and will look great as a pillow. Can't wait to see what it looks like when you get it finished.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pammy Sue! I just sent you my sourdough flapjack recipe.. you will "flip" over them, I hope you try it. My hubby also does not like green peppers, so I'll have to pass on that recipe. I love your vintage embroidery score.. can't wait to see your lace edging for it! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a pretty little pillow cover! I have never eaten or made a stuffed pepper. I need to get on that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥