Monday, June 17, 2013

Chicken Enchiladas & Ambrosia Pie




I made these with some assistance by the Captain a few minutes ago. They're in the oven now. I got this recipe from my sister a few years ago, and I've made it several times since. My usual chicken enchiladas were with a cream sauce made out of cream of chicken soup and sour cream. It just depends on my mood if I want these with the red sauce or the creamy kind. They're both good.

I've posted the recipe before HERE. I don't know why the recipe there calls for 2 cans of chicken. My recipe only says 1 can of chicken, and that was plenty. I had filling left over using just one can. Also, this time I used whole wheat flour tortillas and skipped the warming the tortilla part. (Cottage cheese container size is 16-oz.) Well, hell. I should have just retyped the whole damn recipe! Ha-ha.

And now for the Ambrosia Pie recipe I made yesterday for Father's Day. It was really good, although mine turned out kind of ugly. I'll give you some tips so yours will turn out nice and pretty...



I didn't get a great picture, so what you see is what you get.

Ambrosia Pies

(Makes 2)

1-1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
20-ounce can crushed pineapple, do not drain
14.5-ounce can pie cherries, NOT cherry pie filling (look for Pitted Red Tart Pie Cherries in water), do not drain
3-ounce package strawberry gelatin
1 tablespoon dried orange zest or 1-2 tsp fresh (Less is best! See note.)
4 bananas
2 baked 9-inch pastry shells (shortbread is best if you can find it)
8-ounce carton of whipped topping
1 cup flaked coconut
3/4 cup finely-chopped pecans

Combine the sugar, flour, salt, pineapple and cherries in a large saucepan, and stir well. Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, and add gelatin and orange zest, stirring well. (Be careful not to use too much zest as it will make your pies bitter. I used fresh and almost got too much in mine.) Allow mixture to cool.

Thinly slice the bananas, and arrange an equal amount of slices in each pastry shell. Ladle fruit mixture evenly into each pastry shell. Be careful not to overfill. You will most likely have a little too much filling, but don't try to use it. Chill pies until set before trying to add the Cool Whip & Coconut. (I added this part. Once you mix the coconut with the Cool Whip, it will be impossible to spread it over the liquid unless it is set up. I made a huge mess due to overfilling and trying to top the pies before chilling them. That's what made my pies ugly!)


Gently fold coconut into whipped topping, and spread topping over pies. Sprinkle pies with chopped pecans. Refrigerate at least three hours before serving.e


10 comments:

  1. Now you've done it ... mouth watering after seeing that pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness...it is 10:30, my teeth are brushed, and I am bed, but after seeing this post, I am starving! Looks so good!!!
    Hope you are feeling a bit better. We need a good old fashioned gab fest!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pie looks yummy ~ Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious. Thank you for the recipes!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both the enchiladas and ambrosia pie look delicious. I usually make the creamy enchiladas too so I'll need to try this one.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, I am coming over for leftovers.
    Hugs to you Pam,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved baked enchiladas as I love food good and hot. The dessert also looks perfect for summer! Enjoy your week! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mental note to self "Pammy Sue has a delectable dessert and it delicious despite her claiming she messed it up!" I bet that pie didn't last long at all, I bet it was eaten up in a flash...
    Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how I love anything ambrosia. Found you through Kris at Simplify.

    Hugs,

    Valerie
    Cottage Making Mommy
    www.lovingmyheartandhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥