Thursday, May 16, 2013

What's She Doing Now?




Oh hush. I can start as many projects as I want!
It was an accident, really.

Remember that magazine I showed you the other day that I said I'd never make anything out of it? Weeeeell, I took another quick flip through it and noticed this graph in the back pages. It grabbed me, and I picked up my yarn and hook and made one...and then I made another one, and another one...then I went to my stash and started digging out more muted yarns...and I kept making them.

Now I'm not a square person. I'm not one to sit and crochet square after square because I usually don't enjoy it. But. I was hopping around all my usual blog haunts, and saw THIS UNBELIEVABLY BEAUTIFUL BLANKET! Oh, my. Isn't it gorgeous? 

So I'm pretty sure that was in the back of my mind when I started these. Mine won't be as pretty in this worsted weight yarn -- I think dk yarn makes everything prettier because it's smaller yarn and takes a smaller hook. Anyway, this one won't be shabby, and I'm having a good time with the squares. I haven't even thought about what color I'm going to use for joining, but I'm pretty sure I'll be using the join-as-you-go method. I hate any kind of sewing, even just whip-stitching squares together. The last round of each square and joining color can make all the difference in how your blanket looks. I can't wait to see what develops.

*******************************

During THE STORMS last night, I was nervously crocheting away and watching the weathermen having the time of their lives trying to cover all the deadly tornadoes and hail and storms in the DFW area. We were the lucky ones that didn't get much other than thunder and lightening and gobs of rain. Thank you, Lord. But many others weren't so lucky and need our prayers.

Tornadoes scare the shit out of me!

13 comments:

  1. I am loving the squares, I saw that beautiful blanket when it was posted, it is gorgeous. What about a charcoal gray trim????? Glad you are safe.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this square - looks like a flower in the middle, so pretty. That one you linked to is just gorgeous. I started making one with squares too, will post about here in a week or two. Just too crazy around here right now. Glad you are okay from all of the storms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so happy to hear that you avoided the storms for the most part. So many didn't. I am not a square person either..I get so totally bored and end up with not enough squares to do much with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that typo about "mine" (I said to self: she has a Gold-mine of creative thoughts. Oh yes as a tuscaloosa Alabama Tornado survivor I have great respect for them. A Deer Head fan of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the squares with their cute little flower centres they will make a beautiful blanket, I'm looking forward to seeing it develop. I'm glad the storm didn't affect you too much, I would be terrified of tornadoes too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are pretty grannies Pam.
    Can't wait to see how you assemble and edge it.

    Glad those nasty tornados missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arg! now Im gunna have to go buy that magazine! Love your color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops, I fixed that typo, Mary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't get over how quickly you whipped up those lovely squares. I love the solid color ones - the joining color really brings them to life. Will look forward to seeing your finished blanket. Glad to hear that the tornado didn't come too close to you. Bet the doggies were scared with all the thunder and lightning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That IS a gorgeous blanket but I think your colors are nice too. I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide about colors for joining and edging.
    I agree about the tornadoes scaring you, (and me). Hubby and I both grew up in Nebraska and I was in and close to several tornadoes. When he was offered his job in Washington State, the first question I asked was if they had tornadoes there. When he said no I told him that I would move in a heartbeat. We've been here 20 years this year and I love it here. No tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, etc. As close to heaven as it gets except for snow!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colors in the squares, will be a fab blanket
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the squares! I still half to finish my fan afghan. Next rainy day I guess. Sounds like you have been having scary weather. I was wondering about you. Stay safe!
    We too have tornados up here in Canada, but they are not as scary as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a great pattern you found!! The squares you've already made are really beautiful ♥. When I'd seen that pattern it had been the same to me, I had had to crochet this, too. Even now I'm tempted to put it on my to-do list ;-). Thanks for your nice comment on my manly blanket! I'm very happy that you like it :-). Have a nice evening!! xxx Nata

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥