Saturday, May 11, 2013

Gray Oveja

My Latest Oveja Shawl in Gray

Love the gray, but hate the yarn. I had several skeins of Bernat Berella "4", a really stiff and rough worsted-weight yarn, in my stash that I needed to use up. I hope it softens up once I wash it. I did my own thing on the edging on this one. I didn't write it down and I'm not even sure what I did, but I like it for something different.

By the way, "oveja" means "sheep" in case you were wondering. I googled it.
 
A little closer look. The top picture is more the true color of it, but it's a little darker gray than either of these pictures shows.

I got my new yarn today and got at least two more colors specifically for this pattern, so you'll be seeing more of these. I really like this shawl, both to make and to actually wear. I've made a LOT of shawls, but this is the only one I've ever worn.

If you see this magazine and are tempted to buy it, DON'T. I'm really pissed off that I did. It's full of unrealistic, non-mainstream patterns you'd never make and certainly never wear. That pineapple garment on the cover looks like it's a pretty shawl, but it's a sweater...and a stupid-looking sweater at that. Yuck. I'll never buy another Vogueknitting magazine. Ridiculous! (I can appreciate the artistic quality of the crochet, but that's not what I want in a crochet magazine. I want patterns I might actually make and use.)

As you were.

12 comments:

  1. Oh the shawl is so yummy. I know you'll love that one to cuddle in.

    I just bought that stupid Vogue Knitting Crochet magazine today and I am like you I am really disappointed in it. It's full of crap!
    The only thing I saw in it that I liked was the bird filet chart (it's a dress in the magazine, which is insane) which I think might be cute as a curtain or something.

    Blessings always

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Pammy Sue - couldn't agree more. Love your new Oveja - I also enjoy this pattern and will be making one or two for our Winter CWA stall in July. I was inspired by your first cream one - thank you for that. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it's lovely! I haven't crocheted a shawl yet but my mother has been making them one right after the other. Maybe I'll get one for Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find the same thing with this magazine with tte knitting issues,it is too Vogue, nothing you really want to make in real life. Love your new shawl, so beautiful.
    Hugs to you and Happy Mother's Day.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the color on this one! Beautiful work!.. Wishing you a very Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost bought this magazine...but quickly jotted something out of it and put it back on the shelf! The necklace/scarf in ivory with flowers and balls...it's in there, right? I was intrigued by it...but it's probably very in-usable! I still liked it. But, I agree...nothing else in there that grabbed me? Making my first shawl ever this weekend. Love the one you've shown here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How the heck do you make those shawls so fast Pammy Sue??? You are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that yarn softens up for you - I just bought a huge ball of it to edge some granny squares I made from yarn my husbands great grandmother left him, and I was hoping it would soften up in the wash!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a very fast crocheter Pammy Sue how do you turn them out so quickly! It's lovely and I like the shade of grey, I hope it softens up for you, I'm sure it will with some fabric conditioner. Hope you are having a great Mother's Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great color for this shawl!! I'm sorry you were disappointed in the yarn though. I HATE that when it happens! And, bummer! on the magazine. I also HATE that when it happens. ;) Have a great week, Pammy Sue. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. My gosh I turn my head for five minutes and you made an entire shawl. Love the gray color too!
    I put that pattern into my favorites on Ravelry. Thanks for the magazine tip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi have popped by a couple of times ....although it is long time no chat.
    Love your shawl, being using grey a lot myself just lately
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥