Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Sweetheart Progress & T-Shirt Yarn

Aren't these daisies pretty?
I just love having them around the house.

I got the first panel with border done on the Sweetheart Blanket and started the second one. I'll be crocheting seven in total for this queen-size bed. I love it. These panels are looooong, but perfect for this bed! It really is a nice pattern. In case you missed it, the free pattern can be found HERE. I love that yellow one in the link and want to make one in that color too! Ambitious, aren't I?

I spent yesterday evening washing, drying, and then cutting up t-shirts and making the t-shirt yarn. It was much more fun than ripping sheets.  FYI...not all t-shirts will work for this. Luckily I only had one that didn't work. The only difference I noticed was that it had seams down the sides of the t-shirt. So if you are going to make this, look for tees without any seams on the body. I'm sure it's something to do with the type of material used, but for the life of me, I don't know what it is. It also didn't work with t-shirts that had a big picture or big writing screened onto them. It's fine if there's just a little, but the screening made the material stay flat and not roll properly. (You'll know what I mean by that if you watch the video I linked to in my last entry.) Jersey sheets would also work great for this.

This rotary cutter made all the difference in the world! Totally worth the $17 and change I paid for it at Walmart. Scissors were making my hands hurt and would have eventually caused blisters. Wear gloves if you're going to use scissors.

Although some of these look dark blue, they are all black, red, or brown. I thought these colors would make a pretty rug. As you can see, I'm starting out with nine shirts. Not sure if that'll be enough because I want it larger than the one I made with the sheets. I'll also be using a smaller hook (Size N).

I've been crocheting on the Sweetheart Blanket today, so I haven't started this yet, but I will soon...maybe this weekend if not before.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, that heart blanket is going to be amazing! I also am excited to see what the tshirt rug will look like. You're amazingly creative! Hugs, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sweetheart crochet. My mom made an ABC baby blanket with the popcorn stitch...we all told her she was nuts. She went on to make several more.

    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girlfriend, a rotary cutter is the only way to go. I have several!
    The tee shirts do seem like they would be easier to stitch. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about it. If you vote Tee shirt over sheets, I will go with what you recommend.
    Pretty flowers too! Flowers just brighten up any room!
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that Sweetheart Blanket. That kind of thing would probably be a WIP for many years. Ollie is looking good in his picture - lovely white and no eye stain. He's gorgeous. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats amazing ,, making yarn from t-shirts. :))
    I love your daisies, so pretty:))
    Enjoy your day... hugs pat :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice progress, I look forward to seeing it finished.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teeshirt material seems like it would have more give to it and be easier to crochet. Can't wait to see your next rug. Now that you have a rotary cutter and mat, you're halfway to making a quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the look of that blanket, it will be beautiful when it;s finished. I don't know if I would have the patience to make T shirt yarn but the colours are lovely, I can't wait to see the finished rug :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blanket is going to be so beautiful when it is finished. And, I am LOVING the rag rug idea. Looking forward to seeing your opinion of the t-shirt v. the sheet. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥