Thursday, April 18, 2013

Rag Rug Beginnings

Crocheted Rag Rug
(Photo from Flickr Group linked below...NOT mine)


I spent all day yesterday on a new crafty endeavor. First, I hit several thrift stores, Goodwill, Big Lots, etc., searching for cheap cotton sheets to use for this project, and then about 8 hours preparing and ripping and rolling the sheets you see above. Make no mistake...this takes hours upon hours. It isn't as quick as you'd think just to get prepared to do the actual crocheting, but if you go in with the mindset that this is part of the whole process and is to be enjoyed just as much as the rest, it'll help.

I didn't find the colors I wanted, but I was looking for cheap sheets to use for my first project. If you have lots of money to blow on sheets, you can be more picky about your colors, which I may do later if it's something I really enjoy.

I got my information and inspiration in the link provided in THIS BLOG ENTRY.

See lots of beautiful crocheted rag rugs HERE in the Rag Rug Flickr Group Photos.

********************************


I've nearly finished my first panel of the Sweetheart Afghan. I really wish the pretty teal color of this yarn would show up in photos. Instead it just looks like a medium blue. (It's Caron One Pounders in Ocean.) As I mentioned when I first wrote about this afghan, I'm taking my time and crocheting on this between other things I'm doing. This one won out over the pink & white snowflake squares this time. I also have another doily in-progress. 

LATER!

12 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see how your rag rug turns out. I have always wanted to make one of those!

    Love the panel too, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice, I love the colors. I have never done one, but would be neat to try. Love your afghan, can't wait to see your finished projects. kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pammy Sue, I have been thinking about you as all this horrible news about Texas has been on the news. Glad you are crocheting and I think I am going to love your rug.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the afghan you are making. :)

    I can't wait to see your progress on the rag rug.

    Blessings always dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like fun. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Like the colors picked so far too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be looking forward to seeing your rag rug. I've always admired those and have been too chicken to try one! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty afghan, have the pattern waiting on my to do list. The rug pattern, I've been looking at these for a long time, think its time to put on to do list as well. Will start looking for sheets! You always inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh good, I'm going to watch you make this before I try one. I bet it's going to be pretty. I went over to look at the flickr group and got stuck browsing in there for quite a while(that blog is pretty too!)
    And your blue heart blanket is looking fab!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started one of those rag rugs years ago. I wonder where it is???? I want to make one too one day.
    Love your bobble panel. So neat!
    Hope you are well. Been thinking about your Texas since that terrible explosion!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty afghan. Where did you find the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  11. damn Pam! you are so freakin' talented it's scary! Very impressed. Be glad we do not live close as I would so stalk you to become a bestie! lol
    love to you~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Came to check out this post on the rug. Yes, ripping and rolling...that has been a deterrent for me in the past. But your idea of it being part of the project is very true and a good way to look at it. I have gazillions of sheets in the attic...but they are boring, plain colors. I told my husband when I first met him that I always buy new sheets before they wear out because I just tire of them. He wanted to know if I was like that about men too. LOL. I've never forgotten that. Hence, all the sheets in the attic...I buy new, but never want to discard the old! I need to put them to use and try one of these rugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥