Monday, April 22, 2013

First Rag Rug From Sheets




I stopped at 26 inches across because I'm anxious to try making one with t-shirts to see which method I prefer.  This one took approximately 2 Queen sheets and two twin sheets.  I used the ripping method rather than cutting the strips with scissors.

I gave you two links in my April 18th post which is where I got most of my information.  I also Googled and read different tutorials.  I cut my strips about 1.5 inches wide, and as I was crocheting, I'd fold the strips in half so that the right side was showing.  It would be best if you just didn't use sheets that are only printed on one side of the material.  Also, I wouldn't roll them into a ball next time, but instead I would just fold it together more like a hank of yarn so that it doesn't wad up and get all wrinkly.  It's a pain in the ass to pull all the threads off as you cut your sheets, but it sure made things a lot easier once you're crocheting.

No, my hands didn't hurt, but my shoulders did (first from ripping sheets and then from crocheting), and my forearms were a little sore too.  But neither was a big deal.  I could just tell I'd been doing something I don't normally do.  I found that sitting at my desk to crochet this was easiest for me.

I'm not sure what size my hook is because it's not written on it anywhere and I bought it at least 15 years ago, but it's either a P or a Q.


You can see how big it is above compared to a ball point pen.

I got some t-shirts at the thrift store this morning to use for crocheting a rug.  They are in the wash now, and I'll begin as soon as they are dry.  See the YouTube Video HERE for instructions on cutting and making your t-shirt yarn.  You can Google "making a rug out of t-shirts" and find different ways to connect your t-shirts after you have cut and stretched them.

Somehow I think I'm going to like using the t-shirts better than the sheets, but we shall see.

13 comments:

  1. I used to do this back in the 90's I even made one for each of my chairs in my dining room..I wonder what I did with them??? I made a bunch of baskets also.
    It would hurt my hands now I cannot work with large hooks anymore very much. It is gorgeous and cannot wait to see what you come up with! I imagine T shirt material would be easier to work with and softer too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how this came out, but I'm interested to see what you think of using the t-shirts instead of the sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rug is very pretty. Waiting to hear which you like better. Thanks for links and info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the rug! Eli looks so cute, as always.

    Blessings always dear friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your rug it is pretty neat looks like someone claiming it is all his. I seen some where they have pre cut strips of fabric all ready to crochet. I just got some yarn that is tee shirt all ready strip and ready to crochet I wanted to try small rug myself. your hook looks like a Q I have that size too have not used it yet. But hope to soon. The tee shirt yarn I found on Lion Brand Yarn website is called Zpagetti it sells for 8.99 per skein it is also found on the UK sites too. Sent an email about new book I got and thought you may like it sent it through gmail. I working on a rectangle afghan of golds and white from the Ice Yarn and love it. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the info. I think I will wait until you tell us how the tshirts work..I know where I can get some shirts that need to be recycled, hopefully he won't miss them too much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is on my list of things I want to make....I certainly have the sheets, just need the time. Yours came out terrific, love it. I am a bit surprise at the amount of fabric though...wow.

    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks beautiful. One day I will try to crochet with sheets, too.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. It turned out really cute Pammy Sue! I can see where it would be cause some stress in the arms and shoulders. I am curious now to see if you like it done with the tshirts better. Let us know.
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun!,, it looks great,is it difficult ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it is amazing and I look forward to seeing the t-shirt rug, I am guessing the cutting and joining will be more involved with t-shirts.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pammy, Pretty rug! I've always wanted to do a rag rug. Looking forward to see whatcha do with t-shirts. Happy spring to you and your doggies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! The colors look great. I want one that comes with a cute little dog on it, like in your picture.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥