Saturday, February 23, 2013

She's a Hottie!


She's a Hottie!
Hot Water Bottle Cover & Insulator


Pattern:  She's a Hottie!, by Pammy Sue. I wrote one of my own because the only one I found online was for Mini Hot Water Bottles, which don't even exist here in the U.S. that I know of.  (The bottle I used is pictured at the bottom of this post.)  My pattern is a very basic pattern which I will post in a day or two (FREE). I need to get it typed up nice and neat for you. I just hand-scribbled the pattern as I went. I'm also going to write it a little bigger than the one you see above. I think it's stretched a little too much and needs to be a couple of stitches wider on the sides so you can't see the red bottle inside as well. You'll have to figure out the embellishments on your own.

I had never cross stitched in my life before this, so I had to learn that yesterday. I found a nice little site that shows the basics. A link will be provided in the pattern if you need it. I didn't have a cross stitch graph. I just looked at someone else's and copied their stitches.  The little crocheted rose and leaves were made using a pattern from Lucy of Attic 24.

Inspiration for this little beauty came from Coco Rose Textiles and Cherry Heart.



Here is the back. I made a flap so you can remove the bottle and wash the cover if need be. I made a shell border on the flap, but you could use buttons or whatever you like for decoration.


This is the type of water bottle I used. The body measures 7 1/4" x 10", not including the top bell-shape or bottom tongue for hanging. I had to compensate for the bottom hanger when I wrote the pattern. (I think these bottles used to be used as enema bags or douche bags in the "olden days." That's why there's a hanger on it.)


Bye, Friends!

11 comments:

Betsy said...

That is really pretty. The cross stitch and flower brighten it up a lot! I remember the 'old days' when my grandma put a hot water bottle in our bed at night to warm our toes. Great memories.
Blessings,
Betsy

by Teresa said...

Good job on designing your own pattern! Pretty!
((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Kris said...

I love it Pammy. I made one while we were up in the mountains a couple of months ago. I just winged it too, but I absolutely love it! Use it all the time too. LOVE yours!!!
xo Kris

pattas said...

It is a lovely pattern , I like the way you have brightened up your hottie bottle.
A little bit of sunshine on a cold day :))
hugs pat :))

Karen said...

Oh, I love your hot water bottle cover! I don't use a hot water bottle but do use my heating pad so I think I will use your idea and crochet a cover for it. Great job! Did I say I love it!

homeschooljewelrymom said...

Very pretty! Congratulations on learning to cross stitch. I love the rose embellishment.

Mereknits said...

I'm thinking that hot water bottle would feel pretty good on my neck right now.
Hugs to you Pammy Sue,
Meredith

Beansieleigh said...

Very pretty, and I like the shell boarder on the back opening!

Dorothy said...

Pretty hottie cover Pammy - I haven't seen one of those hot water bottles in ages. The cover certainly looks better than a naked hottie !! You did a good job designing it. xoxox

Lynne said...

Oh I love this! The cross stitching really adds a lot.
Are you guys getting any of that snowy blizzard I saw on the news? Sounds like crochet weather to me.

Chain Stitch Crochet said...

Very nice!