Monday, February 11, 2013

BBQ Ribs & Yummy Yarn


I made some low-carb BBQ sauce yesterday because I'm making ribs today in the crock pot. I still used Bev's Rib Recipe because it is the best I've ever found for making ribs in the house, but I made this low-carb sauce to cook them in. I got this recipe somewhere on the Low-Carb Friends boards, but I could not find it this morning. So instead of a link, here it is...

Low-Carb BBQ Sauce

1 chopped garlic clove
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup oil
4 Tbsp Splenda granules (not the packet kind)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp blackstrap molasses
1 1/2 cup water
1/3 cup cider or white vinegar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 (6-oz) can of tomato paste
1 Tbsp liquid smoke

In a saucepan, melt the butter and cook the garlic and onion for 3-4 minutes. Stir in Splenda, salt, mustard, paprika, chili powder, and pepper. Add molasses, water, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and stir to combine. Let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk in the tomato paste and Liquid Smoke and let the sauce simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring often. Let the mixture cool, transfer it to a jar with a tight-fitting lid, and store in the refrigerator. Keeps well up to one month.

If you are not low-carbing, the recipe Bev gives HERE is really great. Here are Bev's instructions for making the ribs:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Season ribs with salt and pepper. Place in a shallow baking pan. Brown in oven 15 minutes. Turn over and brown another 15 minutes; drain fat. (Mine never get really brown.) Spray your crock pot with cooking spray. Cut the slab of ribs in half or thirds to fit your crock pot.  Mix the BBQ sauce ingredients. Place ribs in slow cooker. Pour sauce over ribs and turn to coat. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until ribs are tender.

Note about the ribs:  I always use Tyson Baby Back Pork Ribs. I find them in the meat section (duh!) in a plastic package. It's usually anywhere from 3.75 to 4 lbs and in the range of $13 at Wal-Mart.

******************************

Weigh-in yesterday:
Exactly the same as last week, DAMMIT!

I'm not going to eat any Atkins' bars this week. I had been having one a day this week, but I think they might be stalling my weight loss. They sure were good though. I may have to wait and only have those when I'm in the maintenance phase. My total lost is still 10.6 lbs.

*****************************

So after I threw that hissy fit with Knit Picks (who never responded to my email), the yarn order was on my front porch the next day! Oops. Still, I never did get a confirmation of my order so how was I to know? Plus, all over the invoice when I ordered it was stated that, "If you do not get a confirmation email, your order did not go through!"

Lying Liars
But I don't care anymore because I have my Chroma!









And the book, which is NOT great, by the way.
Nothing to write home about...just okay.
I doubt I will ever make any of the patterns, but I could possibly use one of the edgings. Not worth my $14, which was a sale price. Glad I didn't pay full price.

11 comments:

  1. Love the Chroma! What the plan for it or you just going to adore it! Chroma is wonderful. Great colors. Thanks for the rib recipie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing here!!! But I love the Chroma too. I must get some. I am a heart making fool!! Love those little buggers!! I am off to the doc...just not getting better. Must be bronchitis.
    The author of that book spells her name like I do. Kristin.
    XO Kris
    PS When you have a week with no loss....the next week is good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new yarn looks like lollipops.
    I like it.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty yarn! Thanks for sharing the recipe, it sounds good. Have a great day. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so full of.....goodness today. What a great recipe for the sauce, but it sure seems like lots of stuff. Molasses, really? OK, I may have to give it a try, I'm looking to boarden my palette as of late.

    Ah...chroma yarn. I think I see a new color too. Can't wait to see this all worked up. But,no,it's not getting me to think about it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go making your own sauce. That store bought kind is so full of junk, I bet yours tasted better too. Last time I made ribs in the oven (slow cooked for three hours) I left some without sauce so I could eat them. They were boring.
    Chroma yarn = Pretty!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the yarn and no weight gain is awesome, look at it that way. You will keep losing, slow and steady wins the race.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so jealous !!! That yarn is to die for. Wish we could get yarn like that here. :(
    What will you be making with it? xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is nothing better than BBQ ribs.. slow cooked, until they fall apart, is there? Now, what are you going to make with those gorgeous balls of Chroma? I love the stuff too.. love the simplicity of the single ply. I finished off a heart like the one you're working on, just a bit ago.. using sparkly yarn. Will show it tomorrow. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chroma...I've been oggling over that stuff for awhile now...THOSE colors! Yummmmmmm! That book isn't good? Ugh! I've had my eye on it...what a disappointment!
    Would you believe I've NEVER made ribs from scratch? We have a store that sells an already sauced slab...in their hot section...and i always buy those when we're jonesing for ribs. I may have to leave my box and venture into the wild waters of making my own! I'm scared. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I tell you that Chroma is screaming at me! LOL! It started as a whisper and has grown to a roar! Those ribs sound lip smackin' good! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥