Monday, January 07, 2013

I Made It

Well, I managed to make it through Day One of the low-carb thing. I really wasn't even hungry yesterday and wasn't tempted to cheat. Some days are just like that. I know there will be hard days ahead.

This is what we had for dinner:


Leftover roast beef, roasted green beans, and mashed cauliflower with butter, sour cream, and a little garlic. Everything was so good!

The roast:  I made it last weekend in my crock pot. I just laid it in the crock, salted, peppered, and garlic powdered it and rubbed it in really good. Mix 1/2 cup light soy sauce and 1 cup water and poured over the roast. I laid a few sprigs of rosemary in the juice and cooked on low 8 hours. This makes a nice roast with au jus gravy. It's a French Dip Roast Beef recipe I've used for years.

The green beans: Bought a bag of pre-washed and trimmed green beans. Lined a cookie sheet with foil, put a couple of handfuls of green beans down, drizzled some olive oil over them and mixed them up real good with my hands. Then I salted, peppered, and garlic powdered them and roasted in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes. I turned up the heat to 400 degrees and let them go another 10 minutes because we like them good and brown.  YUM.

The mashed cauliflower: Cut up a head of washed cauliflower, place in a saucepan, cover with salted water, and boil for about 15 minutes until soft. Drain. Add as much butter and sour cream as you want, add salt & pepper (I added some garlic too). You can add cheese too, but I decided not to. I'll do that another time for something different. Mix with your electric mixer until creamy like mashed potatoes. Add a bit of cream if you need to thin them out any. I didn't need to.

*************************

So my food for the day was:

9:30:  Earl Grey Tea with Truvia & cream
1:00:  Egg and cheese sandwich made on Oopsie Rolls
4:00  Earl Grey Tea with Truvia & cream
6:00:  Roast, roasted green beans, mashed cauliflower
9:30:  Cold beef wiener dipped in mustard, a chunk of sharp cheddar
Water, water, water.

************************

Did anybody else watch Oprah's interview with David Letterman last night? I love him. It was a good interview but it really needed to be two hours. They barely touched on each subject, and I wanted to hear more about his s*x scandal last year and how he handled it with his wife.

You were all probably watching Downton Abbey, and I probably didn't even spell that right. Before Christmas, I looked at the video with Seasons 1 and 2 at Target, but they wanted $37 for it, and I wasn't willing to pay that much. I guess I just missed out. I'll live.

11 comments:

  1. Well, maybe you can find it at the library. Which I'm sure you may visit soon to wander the aisles as mentioned. It's one of the first hunger savers I learned. So, you are even doing the no coffee thing too, good job. Today's tip. Move for 15.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so good. I will try to be inspired to be good. But I think I'm just bad. :-) You can rent Downton Abbey - the first two seasons, at the video store. It's worth it.. you'll love it. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I D*I*S*P*I*S*E cooked broccoli and cauliflower.

    Does the mashed cauliflower taste anything like cooked cauliflower?

    I've wanted to try it, but not if the cauliflowr flavor stays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I went to bed last night I thought, "Damn, I missed the Letterman special on Oprah."

    I have LOVED him since he worked on Channel 13 in Indianapolis, right out of college. I went to Ball State, but I started the year he graduated so I missed him there.

    Must catch it on You-Tube.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on the low carb thing. I had success on it back in 2001/2002but not this last time I tried it. Maybe I wasn't totally committed to it, who knows. It really is simple to do and there are a lot of foods you can eat on it. I've been yoyo'ing lately, lose some, gain it back. I really need to get serious. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pammy you can watch season 1 and 2 of Downton Abby on the internet. Just go to pbs.org. After seeing all these blogs talking about it I just had to check it out and got hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Pammy Sue! I am here to catch up! Well, you go girl! You and Kate, all skinny and healthy! Makes me want to get my ample butt in gear too! I am proud of you. You can do it!
    The dinner looked yummy! Don't you eat breakfast? It helps, you should.
    Yep, I thought of you, when we brought Dusty home. If Pammy Sue can do it, so can I!!!
    If you find an activity you like, losing the weight is so much easier! Good luck!!!!
    Love ya,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your low carbing. The main thing I miss is the coffee once I get on it. Downton Abbey is great if you can find the earlier seasons like a few commenters have posted. Take care Pammy Sue. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job making it through day 1. I didn't get through my day 1, too much going on.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck on this! The buns in the previous post look wonderful. Have you noticed if soy gives you a migraine? I've noticed it does for me and I'm amazed at all the products (cheese nips!) that have soy products in them. I'm trying to eliminate it from my diet but ...crap....so much stuff has soy in it. WTF!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been eating horribly thanks to the holidays, but I think I am finally sick of all the goodies and am going to just toss it all into the garbage! That dinner looks good, will have to try that one night this week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥