Saturday, December 29, 2012

Whining But Other Stuff Too

For awhile now, I've been contemplating the direction of this blog. Today I decided I just need to stop it, because although this became mostly about crochet for several years, it's really just about my life -- at least the parts I feel like sharing. If that doesn't include crochet right now, that's okay. It's amazing how big my world probably seems to you, when really, it's mostly lived right here inside my home. How many pictures can you take of the inside of a house and yard? Apparently quite a few!

The crochet fever that has consumed me for the past few years has left me. All the joy I got from it has been sucked out. Crochet is a very solitary craft. My mind wanders and works things out and imagines and solves problems while I crochet. I'm alone with my mind. I cannot be alone with my mind right now, or I don't want to be. I don't want to think about the things in the direction it automatically goes. They're sad and distracting and can incite anger or tears with no warning at all.

So yet one more thing has been taken from me that I loved. Boo-hoo, drama queen.


I cleaned out all my crochet stuff the other night. I threw away a giant lawn bag full of yarn, put another full one aside for donating, and what you see above is what is left. There are three more boxes off to the side in this room that are not pictured, but you can see that it's still A LOT. It's all going up in the attic. Maybe someday I'll get the bug again and get it all down, and maybe not, but it needs to stop taking up our space in the house if I'm not using it. Off it goes!

I really wanted to give it all away, but it would cost me a fortune in postage so I quickly put that idea out of my mind. I'm keeping all the books and patterns in the house -- and there are a ton of them. I still enjoy looking through them every now and then. I bet I've looked through my crochet books and pamphlets 100 times at least. Yes, I still love the crochet patterns.

Our bedroom feels so big now! Who knew we had all that space in there? I bought a new bed for the master bedroom right before Christmas. I'll show you and tell you about it in another post soon.

Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do with all my time. Nothing has come to mind other than maybe a little exercise? Go ahead and laugh. I did! But you never know. Look what happened to Kate!

One thing I'll still be doing is eating. Everybody has to eat, right?


Texas Caviar

1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 can black-eyed peas, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
6 green onions, chopped

Dressing:
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (or regular)
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp black pepper

Drain and rinse first five ingredients listed above and place into a large bowl. Mix dressing ingredients in a small saucepan and heat to the boiling point, stirring to dissolve sugar. Pour dressing ingredients over the first ingredients and combine well. Cover and refrigerate, stirring every few hours throughout the day. Serve with tortilla chips or pita chips as a dip, inside burritos, or serve over fish or chicken. 


***************************

Now excuse me while I go play with the Kindle Fire that I got for Christmas. Maybe I can find a good book to live in for a few days. Suggestions happily accepted!

15 comments:

  1. I think we all go off things once in a while. it's good you still have some stash up in your attic and you still have all your patterns to look through, who knows the crocheting bug may come back with a vengeance one day in the future. I got a kindle fire for my birthday and love it too, I'm reading Summer Secrets right now it's a freebie in fact everything I have read so far has been out of the free selection. have you joined the kindle owners web site they send e-mail updates everyday of the latest available
    free books. I'm enjoying the games too! have a great 2013 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pammy Sue, when I had cancer 12 years ago I could not pick up yarn or my knitting needles, they made me ill. This is from a person who was addicted to knitting. I would walk by my basket full of yarn and a project and feel nauseous. During the most difficult time in my life yarn did not help. So I know where you are at, it may not be cancer but family issues are not a lot different, they suck the life from you and make it so you can not do something you love. I think you should put things away for a bit. Try something new, watercolors, clay, pottery, cross stitch, needlepoint, painting, needle felting, something new and creative that makes you really think, but doesn't leave room for empty space in your brain that allows you too much time to contemplate things that are upsetting to you. And the thing about blogs is that you can write what you want when you want, we love you and are here for you no matter what you are writing about.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am feeling the same way....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I totally get this post. You just never know is the saying around here. I have even surprised myself. I just take it slow and one day at a time. I know you know what to do. This dip is looking even better today. You know where to find me.

    Just back from all day shopping for a new down coat for me. Last years are now like big garbage bags on me. Yipee, but I didn't realize this was going to require all new clothes when I started. Then I didn't think it would stick either.

    Time to jammie up and chill...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending hugs to you....do what makes you happy! And blog when and what you want....like Mere said, we love you no matter what you blog about. You are an awesome person and don't ever forget that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear that your crochet has stopped making you happy. However, I am glad to hear that you will still be blogging whenever/if you feel like it. Take things easy, and as previous comments indicated, we're all here for you and look forward to your posts. I hope 2013 brings you much love and happiness. xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had been away from the yarnie stuff for several years in the past. But I did return to it, maybe 12 or so years later! It's about freedom to do what we are moved to do. Life can take us in some surprising and happy directions.

    Blessings.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pammy Sue.. I'm so sorry you're going through this rough patch. I know what you are going through. When my daughter moved 2000 miles away and took my 3 and 7 year old granddaughters away from me it about killed me. I've also had really rough patches with one of my (you know who) and you know what helped me? Swimming. I go there and when I start out I'm all wound up and upset.. but as I swim back and forth things start working out in my mind. It may not work for you - but something else might. I hope you find it. I wish I had a magic wand.. I'd "swoosh" it and fix it for you. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the black-eyed pea recipe... Giving up crochet? I will miss your pretties..

    I haven't felt like doing much since Obama was re-elected... {{{sigh}}}}

    Next they say we are heading off the fiscal cliff... just like Thelma & Louise... I tell you this world and the people in it are changing,,, and I feel like I am sitting on the side line waiting..

    Ever thought of being a Prepper? Ha Ha.. Stay in touch Luv

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I SO KNOW THE FEELING . . . before I retired, for years, there were times when I would just go home, after work, and sit . . . couldn't do a thing . . . couldn't concentrate on anything outside of my classroom.

    Now, I am in a "cold/flu" funk . . can spend a whole day working on a pattern and, when I am finished, it just S*U*C*K*S ! ! !

    Think I need to purge bunch, take a snow break and get outside and see if the cold winter air will blow the cobwebs out of my mind.

    Thanks for letting me vent . . . wish I could help you :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pammy Sue,
    I know you have been struggling with whether or not to keep your blog up. I know a little about what has been getting you down. Like Mere, and Kate, I had a similar experience, in that, when my Dad got sick, and left us so suddenly, I was devastated. I could not sew. Could not quilt. I had a quilt cut out at the time, and I couldn't even set foot in my sewing room. It took me about 2 years. But then, I was ready. I finished that quilt, and slowly came back to life. I am here for you too. I am a good listener. You do whatever it is that you need to do.d
    Until then, know that I am thinking of you!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi a change is as good as a rest, sorry to hear you have lost the love of crochet for now, may be it will come back may be you will find something real exciting to replace it...good luck in your search and what ever it is you find have fun
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sorry to hear that crochet no longer makes you happy.
    I hope you will find something else instead that makes you happy and will get you trough this tough period in your life.

    Take care!
    Hugs and love,
    Monique

    ReplyDelete
  14. Although this makes me sad, I do understand. When I started blogging I wanted it to be a happy place where I could share my ideas and hoped others would share theirs, but along the way my husband got sicker and it became all-consuming eventually spilling over into my blog and leaving me wondering if I should have written what I did. For me being creative with yarn and other things is what has gotten me through the tough times. I can loose myself with the monotony of concentrating on a pattern. When I retired 2 and 1/2 years ago I had no idea I would be spending 24/7 doing nursing care for my husband. I am working harder now than the 27 years out in the health field. Maybe it was God's way of preparing me for this chapter of my life. But this is not about me, it is about you and what you need to do for happiness in your life. I was happy for Kate when she took charge and changed her health habits because although I do not know Kate personally, I love her blogging, and I feel the same about you. With life comes changes and turning over a new leaf once in awhile. It doesn't mean I won't miss those posts about crochet, but it does mean I am still here and I know life isn't always about a bag of yarn. Wishing you much happiness, and hope you get your mojo back when you feel it is the right time.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pammie~
    I found you a few years ago & I must say I ALWAYS look forward to your post. The first post I remember reading was a post that had a recipe as well as a funny Dog story. And yes I am sure there might have been something about yarn in it. However... I totally got you. You have such a gift to write from the heart your point of veiw. You encouraged me to attempt crochet (which I still can not master. I have attempted and mastered several of your recipes. The cookbook you gifted me is my absolute favorite and I cherrish it. Oh and I always appreciate the product reviews... I have actually bought things you recommended.
    But your life stories... they are what I love the most.. you passion for dogs and the wonderful stories that go with them... and your hilarious mishaps which I thought only happen to me... I still giggle uncontrollably when I think back to the neighbor pet sitting getting locked out incident and the gun by your computer situation. I cried when Phoebee & Abby died. And Little Boy too. Your sweet cat that didnt get much coverage here (as cats are more anyonmous) I forgot her name... but felt your pain when she too passed. Pure joy when Eli & Ollie joined your family...
    I have laughed and I have cried. I have kept you in prayer and wished you lived closer because I think we would be fun friends.
    I think I will be heartbroken if you stop this blog.
    At least.. dont take it down so stalkers like me can read the older post over and over.
    You are so loved and appreciated. Thank you for sharing these smiles, wisdoms and heartful kicks in the butt that have gotten me back on track.
    Take a break.. but please reconsider your end of writing the blog.
    Love you! Your number one stalker Janis

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥