Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas Candy & Cookie Recipes

Get out your Crayolas and write down these recipes!  Or you could be all high-tech and copy, paste, and print if you're the fancy type.


Puppy Chow Candy


Someone was sneaking bites.
The dogs each got two of these.  ;)
Not too many or you'll make them sick!
Super-Easy and makes a great gift.

Puppy Chow Recipe

1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter

Put in a LARGE bowl & microwave until melted...
Stir...
Add 9 cups of Rice Chex cereal...
Stir until coated...
Put 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar in a gallon-size plastic bag...
Dump cereal in...
It WILL fit!
Shake, shake, shake your bootie.
Pour out onto waxed paper to dry.
Ta-Dah...
Puppy Chow!


Andes Chocolate Mint Cookies

(Mary's White Cookies with Andes Mints added; see below)


Plain Mary's White Cookies

I love these...they're so crumbly and grainy...not soft or doughy the way a lot of people like to make their cookies. There's nothing like them! I've gotta make them once a year.

Mary's White Cookies

1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 cup oil
1 cup white sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
2 eggs
4 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla

Mix first 5 ingredients with a mixer until well-combined.  In a separate bowl, mix the rest of ingredients and stir together. Add to first mixture and mix by hand until you have a nice dough. Refrigerate dough overnight.  (I have made these right away without refrigerating and it works, but it's easier if you let the dough chill overnight.) Roll into balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Press down with a glass that has been dipped in sugar. Bake 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Make these plain or add chocolate chips or mint chocolate chips. I used Andes Chocolate Mint pieces this time.

Thank you to my MIL, Bonnie, for the recipe. And of course, Mary, her long-time neighbor that passed away a few years ago. Bonnie used to send these to us every year for Christmas in a big coffee can. My favorite part was when they were all gone and there would be a bunch of crumbles in the bottom of the can. I'd eat them with a spoon. Oink-oink, little piggy!


Pink Peanut Patties

These I just spooned onto waxed paper to cool and solidify.


These I spooned into a muffin tin to get that perfect shape.

Pink Peanut Patties

1 1/2 cups white sugar
2/3 cups white corn syrup (Karo)
1 cup evaporated milk (not sweetened)
2 1/2 cups raw peanuts, not salted
4 tsp butter
1 cup powdered sugar
Red food coloring, as desired

Place sugar, syrup, milk, and peanuts in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a full boil. Boil to softball stage (240 degrees F). If you don't have a candy thermometer, bring mixture to a FULL boil and continuing boiling for exactly 7 minutes. Take off the heat. Add butter and a few drops of food coloring; mix well.  (I also added 1 tsp vanilla to mine.) Continuing beating until mixture starts to get thick. Quickly drop by big spoonfuls onto waxed paper or into muffin tins. Work quickly or they will set-up too much and won't spread appropriately. Two people working together works best. The Captain was a good little helper!


Penuche or Brown Sugar Fudge

JUST YUM! This recipe turned out perfect. This is my sister's favorite home-made candy. We've had a hard time finding a good recipe, but not anymore, Brenda! You'll see Monday morning...

Penuche

3/4 cups butter (1 1/2 sticks)
2 cups packed brown sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk (not sweetened)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar
1-2 cups pecans or walnuts, optional

Line an 8" x 8" pan with foil leaving plenty of overlap for "handles."  Spray foil with cooking spray.  Set aside.  Get your electric mixer ready to go.

Combine butter, brown sugar, milk, and salt in a 2-quart saucepan.  Cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture comes to a boil.  Insert candy thermometer and continue to stir occasionally until mixture comes to softball stage (240 degrees F).  If you don't have a thermometer, bring mixture to a FULL boil, and then let it boil while stirring for exactly 7 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time mixing well with an electric mixer.  Quickly pour into your prepared pan.  Allow to cool completely.  Lift from the pan using the foil overhang and cut into pieces.  Store in an airtight container.

***************************
Thank you all for sticking with me while I took a break.
I love you all!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!


Crochet reindeer & photo credit HERE.

P.S. Why are some words in my posts getting linked without me doing it? How annoying! There used to be a way to stop that from happening in Settings, but I don't see it. Anybody?

13 comments:

The Garden Bell - Kate said...

Serious diabetic coma here. But, all look so yummy. Great job. Glad to hear they are all leaving your house.

Susanne said...

Looks like a tornado was set loose in your kitchen and her name is PAM! Heavens, you have been one busy gal, all that cookie and candy making. Everything looks yummy, fattening, yummy, fattening and yummy again, lol. Hope you are doing well and wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
(((HUGS))) Susanne :)

Mereknits said...

YUMMY!!!!! You are very busy over there, I bet your house smells amazing right now.
Hugs to you,
Meredith

Petunia Pill said...

That puppy chow looks yummy! I'm abstaining this year, but looking and drooling are free, right? And THAT reindeer! I need to make him! He's so darned cute! I keep seeing his picture around here and there and it makes me want him every time I see it! Nice to see you posting a bit. I hope your heart has found some peace. May Santa make you want to be naughty. LOL Hugs, Annette

Holly Louise said...

YOU'VE BEEN BUSY!!!!! Gotta make Puppy Chow one of these days.....

Holly Louise said...

YOU'VE BEEN BUSY!!!!! Gotta make Puppy Chow one of these days.....

paula said...

The husband must be on his 12th day of cookie making . . . . he is such an elf.

I've made 3 pans of fudge and 6 roasting pans of my version of Chex Mix . . 2 pans to go and my baking will be done.

Glad to see you are back . . I have missed your sharp wit.

Barbara Bradford said...

Thank you for the recipe share... I love cookies.... absolutely love, love them....

Kris said...

Hey, totally missed your last two blog posts!!!! The dogs are all adorable!!!! Such happy and lucky little boys and girls!!!!
The butterhorns...oh my!!! And wow, you have been one busy baking Mama! Love puppy chow here too!!!! And your cookies and fudge and goodies look so good!!!!!
Have a Merry Christmas my friend! I wish you love, and joy in the coming year!!!!'
xo Kris

Helsie said...

I'm hoping that all these recipes mean that you are feeling better. Hope so!
Merry Christmas
Cheers

glor said...

Mmmmm, great recipes. Going to get my crayons now. Wishing you a blessed holiday, Merry Christmas.

Sandy said...

Great looking recipes! I have been on a baking tear this week too - have bunches of cookies, candies, etc. Then we go to the in-laws yesterday and I come home with platefuls of even more. So much for my diet .. ha ha!

Mausie1 said...

Merry Christmas