Saturday, August 25, 2012

Busy Bee; Bad Blogger

I've been a bad blogger lately, but I have not been idle...well, not totally anyway. The proof is in the pictures...


I made a few flower headbands earlier in the week.  These are the two I have pictures of.  I love how they are crocheted onto those stretchy ponytail holders in the back - genius!  I used a combination of patterns.  The stretchy ponytail part I found HERE, and then I just did rows of DC until it was as wide and long as I wanted it (measure your head first, or whomever's head you are making the headband for).  I start the headband a little differently by just attaching my yarn to the bands with sc stitches made around the band.  The rose is from the Rose Booties pattern.  I use that rose pattern for everything now!  Love it.


I worked on this Granny Rose Blanket for about 6 hours this week.  I made more flowers for more squares, and crocheted three rows of squares together that I've had finished FOREVER.  I looked in my little crochet journal, and I started this blanket in March of 2011.  About time she got done, don't you think?


I put one more row on my Baby Ripple Blanket.  I'm afraid she needs many more.  I thought I was closer to finishing, but when I took a good look at it all laid out, it's only about 3/4 of the way done.  We can't rush these things, ya know.  Do it right.


And totally out of place in this entry is a new light quilt I bought on clearance.  It's kind of a minty greenish-aqua, brown, and white.

Let's see...what else?
Oh, yeah...


I decided to join the Crochet-Along going on over at Little Woollie.  She's making another of her sampler blankets.  I'm not following her stitches exactly.  I didn't do the last shells she introduced because I thought they might mess up the row count and make it all bunchy.  That's just my thought, so I'm doing it randomly.  When she updates and introduces her next stitch, I'll decide whether I want to follow her new stitch or make one of my own.

You can see little Ollie in the above picture.  I'd say his back leg (patella) is about 30 percent better.  The tendon is staying in place more often so I think we're making progress.  I researched the Web about this injury/condition, and I've decided his best chance for recovery at his age and size is to give him a supplement of a combination of glucosamine and chondroitin along with keeping him from running and playing rough with the other dogs.  It seems these supplements really do work, especially if you have a younger dog.  The brand name of it is Cosaquin (also for humans), but I found a knock-off brand, Nutra Vet, at Petco that has the same amounts of those supplements in it.  It was still over $30, but that's better than $55 for the brand name.  Ollie is so small, that amount will last him a long time.

So you see I've been a busy little bee.  I've just not been sharing as I normally do.  I do have a couple of other smaller things in the works, but I don't want to show you those until they're finished.  Oh, the suspense!

*****************************

Guess what else???  I COOKED DINNER last night!  Yes, I actually did, and it was so freakin' good!  So, being the sweet friend that I am, I'm sharing the recipe with you here.  I got it off the Internet somewhere, but I don't remember where.  If anybody knows, I'll be happy to provide a link if you clue me in.  I think it was one of those link parties on one of the food blogs I read, but I can't find it now.

Anywho...here you go, girlies...

Creamy Chicken Broccoli Casserole

4-5 chicken breast (I used cans!)
1 bag frozen broccoli flowerettes
2 (8-oz) boxes of cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat)
2 cups milk (I used 1%)
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Ritz cracker crumbs for topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Cook the chicken, then slice or break it into bite-size pieces; set aside.  Cook broccoli in salted water and drain.  Place the broccoli in a 9 x 13" greased casserole dish.  Heat the milk, cream cheese, salt, garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese over medium heat, stirring until mixture is smooth.  Pour 1 cup of sauce over the broccoli.  Add the chicken to the pan and pour the rest of the sauce over it.  Sprinkle the top with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and the Ritz crumbs.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.  (Watch the sauce while baking as it can get too hot and burn on top.)

My notes:  I halved this recipe, used 2 large cans of drained white chicken chunks, 1 whole bag of broccoli, and halved the rest of the ingredients.  I used the pizza kind of Parmesan, not fresh.  Next time I will add about a Tbsp of flour to the sauce mixture so it will thicken up.  Mine was too thin.  I used a 9 x 9" casserole dish sprayed with Pam.  I also dotted some butter on top of the cracker crumbs before baking for 30 min.  I didn't have any problem with my sauce burning.

I will make this again.  It really was delicious, quick, and easy, especially using the canned chicken.  I think it would be good served over some angel hair pasta, which I will try next time.

**************************

See ya!

16 comments:

  1. I Love that Granny Rose blanket, and the one you're working on for the Crochet-Along. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of the scrunchy band in the back of the headband!!! WOW! It really is a genius idea! Did you think this up?!...I make headbands in my 'Wugyees' Etsy shop Making them to fit a proper size head is a hit or miss proposition. But with these bands...Woohoo!! Thanks! I may steal this idea for my next one! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been a busy bee! Im gunna try this recipie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never quite figured out why what other people are doing always looks more interesting than what I am doing. I say, we could be soul sisters. I always seem to have more than one project going too. I figure it relieves the boredom. I have a granny baby blanket to sew together and working on a single crochet baby ripple. The ripple promises to be one that takes forever and so I keep finding other things to do on the side, fickled me. Your recipe sounds yummy and thanks for sharing. It has all the ingredients that I love.
    Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful rose blanket. I really love it and the colours too!
    I made a bag with roses too.

    The last blanket you are working on is very nice too. I like the stiches you use.

    It's good to hear that Ollie is doing better.

    Groetjes, Monique

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are FAR from a bad blogger! You're the BEST! I love seeing all your WIPS, they are very inspirational to me. I want to make some similar headbands! I've been wanting to do a HB but was always wondering how you'd keep them on the head, and your solution is just brilliant! I'm still enjoying working on the shawl you inspired me to make! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My you have been so busy you are making my head spin. So many beautiful blankets in the works. I am stuck on a crochet coat, but keep getting side tracked.
    Happy Saturday and glad your little one is doing better.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. My you have been a busy bee lately! What lovely goods you have falling from your fingertips. And I am so happy to see cute little Ollie looking a bit more chipper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dinner sure sounds good. But, I've been saving my points all day for chinese tonight. The new lazy-boy stuff arrived and we have been cleaning that room since 6am. So time to treat ourselves to dinner. It's gray-er than I thought. It was going to be more steel blue. Oh, well, it has to work. But, lots of rug and stuff shuffling going on.

    I might have to make a new blanket however....that's the good news...
    Have a great rest of the weekend. Tomorrow rain here all day, so we may movie or just chill.

    Enjoyable post and will be keeping that recipe handy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness girl, you are busy with that hook. Pretty headbands and beautifuly flower ghan, espeically your latest afghan. May have to try on, adding to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Pammy Sue .. I've missed your regular posts and was starting to wonder if you're ok. Glad to hear you are and it was nice seeing what you've been doing. Those headbands look lovely and the ponytail bands are a great idea. Must check out that rose pattern - yours look beautiful. Hope Ollie responds to the supplement - I do love seeing his pics popping up now and then. Have a great week. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the headbands, and dinner sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe, and hope you're enjoying your weekend! ~teener

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the new stripey blanket ... very pretty colors ! Glad your pup is doing better ! You have alot of great projects going on !

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've been a busy girl and everything looks great! The recipe sounds great, just wish the old guy here liked broccoli. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. We had flank steak on the grill tonight. It was delicious. Love all your WIPs. You are busy. Oh, I made strawberry shortcake for the first time this summer too. Glad Ollie is better. He is such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey love the headbands really great.. also love the crochet along, I checked out her blog.. what size hook are you using? and yarn worsted weight? How many chs did u crochet to begin with.. love the colors of your yarn.. looks like alot of fun..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey you! I've been a bad blogger too. Hardly posting, no nice links....sigh. Leo is just coming off of his steroids slowly and already he's almost back to where he was. He was in the chair with me yesterday and he got up, jumped down and when he hit the floor his tail was to the side and his legs in a half stance for about 20 seconds until he could stand straight. :o( I'm glad Ollie is getting better. Thanks for the words...they mean a lot. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥