Thursday, July 26, 2012

Thrifty Find & Recipe


The Captain went out for a hair cut yesterday morning and came home with a couple of things for me.  This is an old side table he found.  I like it.  I'm thinking about whether or not I want to spray paint it or just leave it.  You'll see it later in this post in the background.  For now, I'm going to leave it as is.  Of course, a new Granny Mandala is in order to display on top.  I'll make that soon.


And then there's this.  You know what he was aiming for, right?  He was trying to satisfy my want for an old suitcase to revamp for a bed for Ollie.  This won't quite work, but it was sweet of him to try.  He knew it  probably wasn't the right type, but he brought it home anyway.  He took all of these pictures for me too.  I'm definitely keeping him, girls.  He's mine!


Ollie was a little disappointed as I explained that he would have to wait a while longer for me to decorate his new bed.


Here is my sister's recipe for the Chicken Enchiladas Verde she brought over.  Click on the picture and then print.  It should come out as full size.


I dragged out the stripey blanket and added three new rows yesterday.  I screwed up on the second row, but didn't discover it until later in the day.  It'll just have to stay that way because I'm not ripping it out.  It's hardly noticeable.  It makes it more home-made that way anyway, right?  When I post the final Tah-Dah, we'll see if you can tell where I screwed it up.  I don't think I'm giving this one away either.  It's staying right here where it was born.

I haven't decided what I'm going to crochet on today.  I want to make Bev's New Pattern.  I just need to decide which yarn I'm going to use.  I don't have much baby yarn in my stash, and I'm afraid to use the DK from Stylecraft before I finish my stripey blanket for fear I'll run out.  

Anyway, that's it.  Back to lounging on the couch in a reclined position.  One more week of that and I'll be able to go somewhere.  Bye!

15 comments:

  1. Two great finds by the Captain. I love both. I think I might spray the table, but first figure out where you want it to go. How's about using that suitcase for your blogging treasures. Remember!. Oh, so long ago. Glad to have that recipe. Looks pretty darn safe for the diet. But, may have to go FatFree on the cream cheese. I was just thinking about how to make a healthy Mex dish while at the store this afternoon. Nice to see you are up and about.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well bless the Captain's heart and liver!!! What a sweetie! I love the table. Very retro! I had two almost exactly like it, and stupidly sold them in a garage sale. They belonged to Greg's parents. What a geek I am!!
    Love the stripey blankie. Keep it for sure. No on ever notices our boo boos but us!!!
    Enchiladas look goooood!!!
    Oh, and the train case...great find! I carry around my small hooky projects in it with me when I go to Knitty Biddies. They work great for that. A space for everything, and all locked up nice and tidy! Love it!!
    Hugs,
    Kris
    PS DO NOT OVER DO IT my friend!!!!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a thoughtful hubby! My mother has a suitcase just like that! Don't worry about the mistake in your crochet..I do it all the time and no one knows unless I tell them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could Ollie's bed be in the lid of the make-up case? Then he wouldn't have to get "into" bed, he could just step into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I would be all over that table with some spray paint!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed, that man of yours is special! Lucky, lucky you! I, too, am glad to see you're doing well! It's the little boo boos in our crafty work that give it character! Bah on perfection! Who needs that? Keep feeling good! Hugs, A.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That litte suitcase looks just like my blue Lady Baltimore case I got when I graduated a million years ago from high school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! So quick on the recipe and thank you for posting it.
    The Capt. is definitely a keeper.He must like you. Love the table. Looks like something from the 50's-60's. And the cosmetic case makes my heart skip! I have been on the search for a couple of years now for one that style and will keep on searching. There's hope out there, I know I will find one in decent shape (ah- such an optimistic I am).
    Love the stripey. Such pretty colors.
    I spent most of the afternoon trying to decide on a baby blanket pattern and came up zilch after 3 froggings.
    Keep on getting better! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The table looks nice with the lamp on it - I'd probably leave it that color. I don't think Ollie will mind waiting a little longer for his bed - not while he can sit all over you !! You could always use that case to store stash. Very nice of the Captain to get these things for you. Take care. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes the Captain is a keeper!
    And Ollie is so cute.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe too.
    I like homemade :)
    Hugs & JOY
    Trace


    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes the Captain is a keeper!
    And Ollie is so cute.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe too.
    I like homemade :)
    Hugs & JOY
    Trace


    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes , He is a keeper ! Can't wait to see the dog bed when you find the right suitcase! Glad you are doing well !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the table. It has so much potential. I'm curious to see where you put it and if you paint it.

    I intentionally make one mistake in every item I crochet. I have done this for years and I suppose it's my own special trademark secret. No one else could probably tell where a mistake was made, but I know. And I agree - mistakes make them that much more of a keepsake and handmade.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you are doing better, Pam. I've been sending you "get well vibes" -- I'm sure that's what's helping you heal so quickly, right?

    Want me to send you some baby yarn? I've got a ton of it! Actually, if you make it in regular worsted weight it will be just the right size for your little granddaughter to grow into in a few months. ;-)

    Big hugs and thank The Captain for taking such good care of you for me, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  15. P.S. I'm pretty sure that little suitcase is EXACTLY like the one I had when I was in high school. I called it my "overnight bag" and used it for sleepovers and my cheerleading/drill team stuff. Gosh, that was like a hundred years ago. I'm shocked my memory is that good. It's even the same color. (Is my name in it??? Tee hee!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥