Wednesday, June 27, 2012

First Snow Cowl & Dinner



I couldn't get a picture of this one that I was happy with.  It looks so pretty in person.  Oh well.  Same pattern, but for some reason it came out much shorter than I like.  I swear I measured it when I made my starting chain!  Hmm...

As you can see, I'm having a cowl obsession these days.  I found a new pattern of a really cool one I'm going to make soon.  I need to make a few short-term projects before I get back to some of the longer ones and these are making me happy.

************************

I made a yummy dinner last night.  Again, the pictures aren't that great, but it tasted better than it looks!  I wanted to share the recipe with you so I'm showing the pictures anyway...


That's a lump of mashed potatoes in the back there.  Everything looks the same with that gravy on it, but it was good!  Just believe me and ignore my bad pictures.

Salisbury Steak & Gravy

1 pkg onion soup mix
2 cups water
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1 egg
Salt & pepper to taste
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1 jar sliced mushrooms, drained (optional)

Combine soup mix & water in a 2-cup measuring cup and set aside.  In a large bowl, mix together 1/3 cup of the onion soup with ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, salt and black pepper. Shape into patties.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown both sides of patties. Pour off and discard excess fat.
In a small bowl, blend flour and remaining soup until smooth. Mix in ketchup, water, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, and mushrooms if using. Pour over meat in skillet. Cover and cook on low for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
I also added some browning sauce (Kitchen Bouquet) to the gravy mixture to get that great dark brown color. I added about 2 tsp.

**********************
The dog groomer just pulled up...gotta run!
Clean dogs, oh yeah.

6 comments:

  1. I was OBSESSED with making cowls last year!! Something for me to look forward to in the fall :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. L*O*V*E Salisbury steak and mashed potatos and gravy . . .such a comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMM looks and sounds really yummy! I'm still doing the little motifs. I've just been leafing through all of my crochet books picking out ones that I like. A couple a night and it quenches my thirst for little crochet and satisfaction. The hard part will be laying it all out and putting it together. Love the colors for this one you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cowl! My sister saw your last one and emailed me a link and told me she thinks we should make one together! :-) That dinner looks yummo! I'll copy and paste that recipe and print it up. Mmm! Thanks for the pattern you sent me.. I do want to make one of those! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have so many darned cowls! I make them and then have an issue with giving them away! I've made them for me, for my daughter, for me...and for me. And I have an entire bucket of them...even after giving some away for Christmas! And I still love them and like to make them! I love this one! L.O.V.E. it! That flower is adorable on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cowl is so pretty and feminine looking. How did you make that gorgeous big flower? Dinner looked yummy. What a luxury for your doggies to have a personal groomer !!! Spoilt little furbabies aren't they? xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥