Monday, June 25, 2012

Autumn Cowl

006

I’ve been working on this cowl a row or two at a time each evening after I get in bed.  It’s my favorite cowl pattern.

I’m going to start another one just because I like having something to work on before I go to sleep.  And before long, you have a beautiful scarf that seems like it was hardly any work at all.

008

I used the rose pattern from the Rose Booties pattern you can find on Ravelry.  It’s much prettier than the flower pattern that comes with the cowl pattern.

I made this pattern a few years back using a different yarn and color (ILTY in Mulberry), and I think I like that one better, although they are both nice.

mulberry cowl

It’s bulkier using the ILTY, which I like.  The above pic shows the flower made by the one provided in the cowl pattern.

009

This is what it looks like unwound.

Pattern:  See below.

Yarn:  1 skein Caron Simply Soft in Autumn Red  (I prefer ILTY)

Hook:  Size H

Rose Pattern:  Rose Booties

Autumn Cowl

clip_image002

Finished measurements:

Height: 22 cm (8.7"), circumference: 154cm (60")

Hook: H

Yarn: Lionbrand Fishermen's Wool Yarn, Natural #150‐098 8.00 oz. 465 yd 100% Wool, 1 skein

Ch to measure 60". Join in first ch to make a circle.

Round 1. Ch 2, hdc in first ch, ch 1, [skip 1 ch, hdc in next ch, ch 1] around, join in top of beg. ch 2.

Round 2. sl into next sp, ch 2, hdc in same sp, ch 1, [hdc in next sp, ch 1] around, join in top of beg. ch‐2.

Repeat Round 2 until it measures 22cm (8.7") from edge, or until desired width; fasten off and weave in ends.

Flower Motif

Round 1. With 4.5mm hook, ch 6, join in first ch to form a ring. ch 4, [dc in ring, ch 1] x 7, join in 3 ch in beg. ch‐4.

Round 2. sl in first sp.  Ch 1, sc in same sp, [ch 5, sc in next sp] x 7, ch 5, join in first sc.

Round 3. ch 1, [sc in next dc in Round 1, ch 4] x 8, join in first sc.

Round 4. sl in next sp, [1 sc, 3 dc, 1 sc in next sp] in each sp, join in first sc.

Round 5. ch 1, [sl in the back of second dc of next pedal, ch 4] x 8, join in first st.

Round 6. sl in next sp, [1 sc, 2 dc, 1 tr, 2 dc, 1 sc] in each sp, join in first sc.

Fasten off, leave a 40cm/15" tail and sew the flower to the scarf.

*This is not my pattern.  It was originally called “Martha Cowl” and was designed by Che from Little Thingies Ravelry Shop (No longer available.)

13 comments:

  1. It looks like the perfect cowl for Autumn; the flower really gives it a finished look. Love it :)
    xo,
    wink

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purrrrrdeeee! Thanks for the pattern! Like you, I always like to have something (preferably mindless and no counting) next to the bed to lull me to sleep. Thanks for the response to my query over in email. I've resolved it for now by switching browsers. An update was my guess for the sudden issues...who the heck knows! Soooo frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I love scarves and cowls in the winter. Seems like if I keep my neck warm I few more comfortable in the cold weather we get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY pretty. I have made this cowl too and love the pattern. I bought some yarn with sequins in to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful. When did you find time to do this. Great color. Manny/Peddy today so no yarn touch. Watering two yards now all week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty !
    Yeah for you! you finished one of your projects ! :)
    Thanks for the pattern !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the pattern. It's very pretty. I like the rose, too.
    Blessings,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love making cowls too Pammy. Yours are beautiful! Love the Mulberry color!!! Love them!!! I am finally feeling better now, and must find a new project!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that cowl. Pammy Sue. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice I like that it is so long and the color is perfect!~~Debb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cowl is really beautiful! It looks so cozy, perfect for autumn! Thank you for sharing the pattern, I know it takes lots of effort to write down a pattern. You are so talented and generous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I just read the last lines you noted this is not your own pattern. But reprinting it to share to everybody is also wondeful, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥