Saturday, April 14, 2012

Sally Lunn

I made this bread Thursday night.  Have you ever heard of it?  I hadn’t until about 15 years ago when a lady brought it to the place I worked for Christmas.  It’s delicious!

clip_image001

Sally Lunn Bread

1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast

1/2 cup warm water

1 cup warm milk

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/4 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup)

2 teaspoon salt

3 eggs

5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour

HONEY BUTTER:

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup honey

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, eggs and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.

Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Stir the dough down. Spoon into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Serve with honey butter if desired.

Recipe source:  Taste of Home Magazine

Note:  I used 1/2 cup of sugar instead of 1/4 cup because I think it’s better that way.  It’s still not sweet like cake though.  It’s somewhere between a cake and bread.  I love this bread!

4 comments:

  1. Last day. Finally, packed and bungalow is clean. S is with bro at Blues Fest. Hope to get out tomorrow around 3pm, but the weather back home is not looking great,so we may end up at the MILs now till we can get out. Sad, but ready to go. I can't wait to get back home to my own kitchen and do some cooking like this cake. Fingers crossed for us tomorrow. Ciao....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gained a pound just reading this post, yummy!
    (No my mouse is still present, lol)
    Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds and looks great. Will be printing this one out, thanks. Love the new header, beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I haven't made Sally Lunn for years. MMMMM -- esp with the honey butter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥