Thursday, April 26, 2012

My Dirty Secret

You’ll have to wait for my dirty secret.  First I’m going to show you what I’ve been making today…

clip_image002

 

Chocolate Heath Caramel Cake

1 pkg. chocolate cake mix
1 can sweetened condensed milk
Caramel ice cream topping
1 (8 oz.) container Cool Whip

4-5 Health or Skor bars, chopped up

Bake cake according to package directions for a 9×13 inch pan; cool for about 5 minutes. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes into the cake. Let the cake cool for a little while. Slowly pour sweetened condensed milk over the cake, letting it sink into the holes; then drizzle some of the caramel over the top of the cake. Let cake cool completely (I usually cover it and put it in the fridge for a while). Top cake with Cool Whip. Decorate the top of the cake with candy bar chunks and swirls of caramel topping. Refrigerate.

clip_image002[7]

Taco Dip

8 oz cream cheese

8 oz sour cream

16 oz jar mild salsa

1 packet taco seasoning

2 cups iceberg lettuce

2 large tomatoes, diced

1 cup cheese

2.25 oz black olives

Combine cream cheese, sour cream, salsa, and taco seasoning and mix well with an electric mixer. Spread on the bottom of a large shallow glass dish. Top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, shredded cheese, and black olives. Serve with baked tortilla chips.  (This was originally a “light” recipe using all reduced fat ingredients.)

I got both recipes from Pinterest.  You can see the Website names on the photos.

We’re having a couples poker night at our house tomorrow night.  That’s the reason for all the food preparation today.

**************************

Okay, so here’s the secret…

I’m NASTY!

DSCF6206

It’s not a secret anymore, is it???  I may have let it go a little too long between cleanings, ya think?

GROSS!

So I found some instructions (Pinterest again) on how to clean your oven door and glass.  It said to make a paste of baking soda and water, smear it all over the inside of the door, and let it sit for 15-30 minutes…

DSCF6208

I did as instructed like a good girl.  Then I scrubbed it with a scrubber brush and made a BIG NASTY MESS, wiped it all off…

AND…

DSCF6210

It really didn’t work.  You can see how dirty it still is.  It did get a lot of the gunk off, but not nearly all of it.  After this I read the comments and it didn’t work for most of the other people either.  Well, crap.  Now what?

DSCF6209

Note to self:

Scrubbing Bubbles will NOT clean your oven.

Yeah, that was my bright idea.

Like I was going to wipe it off and my oven would be sparkling clean.  Guess what?  It didn’t take one more spec off.  I could have gotten out the Comet and tried that.  That would have been my next bright idea, and it might have worked.  But instead, I said SCA-REW THIS!  And left it like it was.  At least it’s cleaner than it was yesterday!

Love y’all for your nice comments about my baby dress pattern-writing attempt.  You’re so sweet.  But I’m still not going to mess with it anymore.  EVER.

I’m outta here!

22 comments:

  1. I guess I need to change over again to Googla Chrome cause your dirty oven pic does not show up on my screen, but I'm puzzled cause some of your pics do and some don't. Even though I can not see your oven I am laughing cause Pammy dear, you have nerve, I don't, I am totally ashamed of my oven and more so because there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for an oven to get like mine is when I have a self-cleaning one. I know before you set it to self clean you are suppose to remove anything that will cause smoke....well, they have to be referring to the globs of apple pie that boiled right out of my imperfectly crimped pie edges (I should have put a pizza pan under it), or maybe that frozen pizza that had the nerve to break in half as I was removing it from the oven (using 2 spatulas, mind you) and the toppings not only fell all over the bottom element, but also had the nerve to fall in between the hot oven door crack! The house was smokin' then and the smoke detector went off. Every time I preheated the oven the residue became more charred and hubby said, "What the heck is that stinking up the house?" Cleaning the oven is back-breaking and on your knees(praying)work. The only solution is elbow grease and sore fingers. It is the last thing on my list right now. Oh well, at least everyone knows I do cook and bake around here once in awhile. Not all food comes from the drive-thru window, lol
    Have fun,
    Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had some stubborn marks (like yours)on my oven door and the Smeg serviceman who was here to fix another problem told me to use a razor blade (make sure its got a strip on one side to protect your fingers) and it works like a wonder. I was hesitant at first as I thought it would scratch the glass but it doesn't. Just scrape the muck off - hardly any effort needed. Let me know if it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Years ag I actually took the frint off of a stove to get the oven glass clean . . Cscrubbed inside and outside of the glass . . still didn't look clean. SO, I think, I shall always buy stoves without glass on their oven doors . . lolol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading you, you're so funnnnneeeeeee! Your oven is clean enough! Your little skirt design was adorable! Never doubt yourself.. you rock and you are a hoot... I'm glad we're friends. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recommend making a paste of dish soap and baking soda for stuff like that. It works great on my tub. I use it for everything. Also can I come over for dinner? I am going to dream about taco dip and heath whatever else that was :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, the dress thing didn't work out ( although I though the skirt part was super cute), and the oven cleaning was a botch..... at least from the pic you have a great pedicure! Something to be said about that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried that baking soda thing and it didn't work for me either. I think I ended up using Barkeepers Friend, the liquid kind, not the cleanser, and it worked pretty good at cleaning my oven door.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a trip to Wally World is in order for some real oven cleaner. You know the stinky kind. But, after your fun party. Oh, how I wish that Scott and I lived near by to come and play. Also, have a snack or two. Look at those calories. Yum... I need to get back on the diet. I've been so bad since I got home. Ok, I've been bad about just everything. Maybe, I'm depressed or something. Send some Taco Dip my way, it may help. Have some fun tomorrow. Can't wait to hear about all the coin-age you are going to win. Cha-Ching....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait are those your Tarpon shoes I am seeing? With a fresh peddie no less. You go girl....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well Pammy, at least you can get to your gunk. Mine is between the 2 glasses on mine :'(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, my trick doesn't make it quite as smooth as it was when brand new, but I soak it with Windex and then take a razor blade and scrape it all down. I usually have to clean it all off a couple of times in the process and re-do it...but it looks pretty good. Razor blades are my friends ...I keep them around for just such purposes!

    Couples poker...that sounds like fun. Can I come? I used to try to keep a bunco group alive...it was impossible! Everyone was too danged busy! We dwindled from 12 to 5...and now the 5 have dropped off too. Life is too busy, I think. Games with friends...fun stuff. We have a couple with whom we play Rummikub and Dominoes...always a fun, giggle-filled time. Oh those Bunco girls...we had some craaaaazzzeeeee times! A little alcohol - it lets the hair down every time! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gah! I just read the comments above and saw that the razor was already mentioned. Sorry for the repeat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had cake similar to yours - they called is "better than sex" cake

    thought you'd smile at that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I scrub my oven door glass with an SOS pad. Works great on mine. That food looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That cake looks divine! I wish I was coming to couples poker night! I made a layered bean dip like that too. Always a crowd pleaser.
    I was just thinking recently that my oven needs a good scrubbing too. Manana!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw that one and wondered if it worked. Glad you tried it before me so now I know it didn't. I go too long between cleanings in my oven too. And its self cleaning...how lazy can I be. Pretty lazy. I use soft scrub cleaner on my stove top. It's the best stuff for getting the finger prints off the black finish. Can I tell you how much I HATE black finish on any kitchen appliance? God, I hate it. Only a man would design a kitchen appliance with a black {{{see every finger print mark}}} finish. I'm ranting again. Shame on me. I use Comet on the oven door it works and it's easy to do. And you don't have to mess with mixing up a paste. OK I'm done. Have a lovely day Pammy Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now you went and did it ... the recipes made me hungry! Boy, do they look good. As far as the door, I like one of the responses you got about using a single edge razor, think I'm going to do that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You had me at Sweetened Condensed Milk! Love the stuff and could eat it right out of the can with a spoon. Ok I ain't gonna lie I could knock a hole in the lid of the can and turn it up! I got the stuff to make this today and am gonna start it in a few!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi. Just read your note on my blog. I've been kind of leaning toward making the Galaxy afghan that Bev recommended but still not sure. My friend is going to send the yarn for it since it's going to one of her other friends.You mentioned that you liked the pattern you're working on. Could you post the link for it? Yeah, my Nellie Belle is a little charmer. She and our other chi have their own blog too. :) Okay, I'm ready for some of that dessert you made.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hee, hee, Pam... your dirty little secret. Yummy food! I like your pretty tootsie toes. I'm sure nobody noticed that your oven wasn't all cleaned up and who cares anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmmm! Yummy! This is my first visit to your blog, after seeing Kate's comments and pics of you.
    And, of course on the first time I see this, I get an eyefull of yummmy food! hehe
    I have a similar recipe with the cake, but differs from the sweetened condensed milk and caramel. I must try this one!
    When the boys were little, they loved this so much it was requested for every single birthday and holiday.
    1 chocolate cake mix, baked as directed for 2 layer cake.
    1 package chocolate pudding, prepared as directed.
    1 package vanilla pudding, prepared as directed.
    1 large tub of Cool Whip, or a batch of whipped cream.
    6 regular sized Heath bars or any candy you like, broken into bits.
    Use only one layer of cake. Freeze the other for later use.
    break up half the layer of cake into trifle bowl or large bowl.
    Pour chocolate pudding over cake pieces.
    top with half the Cool Whip.
    Add a layer of half the Heath bits.
    Top with broken pieces of the other half of cake you are using.
    Top with vanilla pudding.
    Top with Cool Whip.
    Top with remaining Heath bits.
    Refrigerate until serving.
    Yum!
    I have used lemon cake, vanilla lemon or vanilla puddings, berries and drizzle thinned down berry jam, and Cool Whip. Turns out very refreshing.
    I enjoyed your blog so much. Thanks for sharing
    with us.
    ShelleyJo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Easy off oven cleaner; spray it on wait 20 minutes and wipe it off. Works great, works on the stove top as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! ♥♥♥